• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes options for 18" iron ridge build.

mjsemtex

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2008
nj meadowlands.
my semi-auto .308 rifle is almost complete and i've been spending the past few weeks researching optics.

i'm working off of iron ridge (DPMS format) upper and lower receivers, rock creek SR-25 profile barrel with 1:11.25" twist 18" in length, daniel defense 12.0 lite rail, surefire muzzle brake.

i had originally been thinking about something along the lines of the nightforce NXS 3.5-15 x 50 F1. however, the more i'm reading, the more i'm also considering the vortex razor hd 5-25 x 50. so, that's about the price range i'm in.

even more recently, i'm also considering the US optics SN3 1.8-10x.

the iron ridge upper has 23moa worth of cant built into it. if i'm working off of a 100 yard zero, would this pose a problem with any of these scopes?

would anyone have other recommendations in this price / feature range?

looking more closely at something with a relatively low profile, the USO SN3 seems really appealing.

for the most part, i'll be target shooting with the possible competition out to (possibly) 1000 yards at somewhere like reade range, etc.

thank you.

Re: options for 18" iron ridge build.

I have just built a very similar gasser to yours. Iron ridge upper and lower, Kreiger 18", PRI forend, Magpul PRS stock, geissle trigger. I am going to put a USO ST 10 37mm obj on it. I already have a USO 1.8x10 37mm on a precision AR 15. My main use is banging steel out to 800 yds or so with both guns. For my purposes, 10x is very adequate and I like the low profile size of the scopes. I am currently using a Mark 4 10x fixed on the 308 until the USO comes. I find that 10x is perfect for my application. If I was going to compete with the 308, I would want a bit more magnification for some of the precision targets that seem to be getting more common on tactical style matches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steeldinger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have just built a very similar gasser to yours. Iron ridge upper and lower, Kreiger 18", PRI forend, Magpul PRS stock, geissle trigger. I am going to put a USO ST 10 37mm obj on it. I already have a USO 1.8x10 37mm on a precision AR 15. My main use is banging steel out to 800 yds or so with both guns. For my purposes, 10x is very adequate and I like the low profile size of the scopes. I am currently using a Mark 4 10x fixed on the 308 until the USO comes. I find that 10x is perfect for my application. If I was going to compete with the 308, I would want a bit more magnification for some of the precision targets that seem to be getting more common on tactical style matches. </div></div>

thanks for the input. i'm thinking i don't really 'need' more than 10x and at a max probably no more than 15x for this application. i'd expect that shots out past 800 yards would be pretty un-common for me.

i REALLY like the idea of being able to dial back to 1.8x and have taken a liking to the JNG MIL reticle on the US optics site.

what kind of accuracy are you getting with your current .308 setup? i'm also using the PRS stock but opted for the iron ridge trigger when i ordered the lower from them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been contemplating doing this on my M1A/M21A1 build. Are you looking for a low-profile setup? </div></div>

yes, thinking i'd like to keep with something that doesn't ride too high.

I am expecting almost the identical AR from GAP within the next month. Iron Ridge upper and lower, 18" barrel, Magpul stock, and a Badger rail. I went with the SN3 1.8 - 10X with the C2 reticle. USO let me order it even though we haven't seen the final build yet. Search C2 1.8 -10X and you can see a review of it from Doc or contact Doc directly for an update.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bonefish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am expecting almost the identical AR from GAP within the next month. Iron Ridge upper and lower, 18" barrel, Magpul stock, and a Badger rail. I went with the SN3 1.8 - 10X with the C2 reticle. USO let me order it even though we haven't seen the final build yet. Search C2 1.8 -10X and you can see a review of it from Doc or contact Doc directly for an update. </div></div>

i really like that reticle design. seems similar to what was listed on the US optics website as the JNG mil.

revisiting this topic, the more research i do the more my price point seems to grow.

why is this board so good at doing that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mjsemtex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone else running the SN3 1.8-10 on a semi-auto? </div></div>

I've been thrilled with the SN-3 1.8-10X37 on my 18" Douglas 5.56 Mod1 style AR.
I got it specifically for day/night use with the AN/PVS-22 and it works very well. I also got all the matching options to my SN-3 3.2-17X44 used on the 308 bolt gun, reticle, turrets, illumination.

USO10X.jpg

Just for comparison, here's my SPR-ish build (CLE bbl). It's currently wearing the NF 3.5-15. Before that, it had an ST-10. Both work great! Both are using the Larue SPR-S mount, which has 10MOA of forward cant and is lower than all their other mounts. Still, Troy rear sights fit under the ocular. Both would be considerably shorter without the sunshade.

SPR_Suppressed.jpg

SPR_CLE_ST10_L.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mjsemtex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone else running the SN3 1.8-10 on a semi-auto? </div></div>

I am

5x76ad.jpg

I find the JNG-MIL reticle is very usable on 1.8x. The circle seems similar in size to the outer ring of an eotech. THat being said, it will never be as fast as that kind of sight. Lets face it, this gun weighs 15.6lbs empty so it will never be a CQB machine. I do find that is very useful at close range however and I don't find the 10x to be lacking but haven't had it out past 300yds yet. So far shooting from 100-300 I don't really notice the magnification difference between 15-17x scopes.

Wow, great looking rifles, you guys. Very nice.
I know about the NSX 3.5-15X50, it's on my 16" SS LMT MRP right now. Love to get mine changed over to FFP mil reticle!

The SN-3 1.8-10X is a great AR scope, I have had some shootes tell me they couldn't believe I got the "little" 37mm objective, and I remind them I've got the 22!
The size/weight reduction isn't all that significant on the AR with it's cheekweld, but it fits really good on a small bolt action.
While waiting on both my bolt action and my 1.8-10X USO scope, I mounted the bolt's SN-3 3.2-17X44 on the 18" Douglas barreled AR. It sure made for a potent combination, and with FFP, magnification really becomes almost irrelevant anyway.
Sizable as you can see.

USO4.jpg

agreed... some great looking rifles.

i had been thinking about the 1.8-10x USO SN3 but am actually now also considering the 3.2-17x.

then, moving into that price range, it seemed to open up some other options. i'd love the premier 3-15x if it wasn't a 50mm objective. and for not much more than that it seems the S&B 4-16x42 PM2 is also worth considering.

Very nice looking setups guys. I am also considering the sn3 1.8-10 but I am considering it for my sps tactical. Currently I am running a super sniper 10x hd. Can anyone tell me if his will be a considerable upgrade? Or should I go a different route? The reason I am considering the change is for a variable to better accommodate me while hunting.
Thanks dantrom