• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Options for 6.5 CM Tactical Ammunition

Gcoffman06

Private
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2022
Texas
I’m a LE sniper in Texas. We have 20” Bergara 6.5 creedmoor rifles. I am looking for recommendations for factory 6.5 cm tactical ammo.

We had been shooting 147 grain Hornady ELD. During the first year of Covid, Hornady sent us 147 gr TAP ammo instead of the ELD and told us it was the same thing. It was not. We used to shoot 1/2 minute groups with our rifles. Now we can barely hold 1” at 100 yds. We’ve tried 140 grain TAP; even worse groups. All five of our rifles are struggling, with experienced shooters. We even had Bergara re-barrel three of the rifles. Still no improvement.

Our next move is to try out ammunition. It has to be factory and it has to be suitable for tactical applications. We are going to shop around and get several different bullets and test them through each of our rifles.

What are other snipers from other departments using?

Reactions: RRW
Berger Ammunition. Sako TRG Precision ammo.

Reactions: st1650
Wouldnt something with a bonded or controlled expansion be better considering windshield glass or barrier penetration that would most likely compromise a thin match jacket.
The Berger 130OTM or the heavier jacket on the 140 Hybrid comes to mind as well.

Reactions: dirtybores
What makes ammo Tactical? Define your requirements first.
Gotta have a picture on the box with someone decked out in armour and helmet with a scary looking rifle. 🤣
1682007468529.png

Gotta have a picture on the box with someone decked out in armour and helmet with a scary looking rifle. 🤣

This has actually proven to be a great line of ammo from norma in my rifles. If they make a 6.5 version, it might be a worthy candidate.

Reactions: XLR308
I have no doubt since its just a rebrand of M193 that has been getting it done for a long time without the tactcool graphics.
I also have had good experience with Norma ammo, the 6.5 Creedmoor load with the 130 golden target was very good in my rifle.

Must be some secret squirrel tactical ammo us “civilians” can’t own if you won’t answer the question here. Good lord.
Theres no secret sauce if you have killed enough things you know what works.
Four legged animals are a lot tougher than the two legged variety just not as crafty.
The ammo i would choose for both would be pretty much the same.
I would think LEO would choose accordingly as well.

Reactions: stanley_white
I have 4k of the 6.5CM version and have maybe 500-600 down the tube so far. Shooting PRS 1 and 2 days with it, super impressed for the price so far.

I would try 130-147 grain ammo from the usual suspects that make decent factory ammo:

Berger, Hornady, Lapua, Applied Ballistics, Federal (FGMM), Blackhills, etc.

Order what meets your "tactical" criteria. See what shoots best. Done.

What makes ammo Tactical? Define your requirements first.
That’s an excellent point. We are looking for factory ammo that has a high degree of consistency from lot to lot, with terminal ballistics designed to stop people.

In contrast, before I got on the sniper team, the team shot .308 Sierra Match Kings. Our sniper team leader says they were excellent target rounds and shot very nice groups. However, they would over-penetrate and would not properly fragment, distort, or cause otherwise suitable wound channels.

We will be looking for a separate round for penetrating barriers.

Thank you for everyone’s responses!

I would try 130-147 grain ammo from the usual suspects that make decent factory ammo:

Berger, Hornady, Lapua, Applied Ballistics, Federal (FGMM), Blackhills, etc.

Order what meets your "tactical" criteria. See what shoots best. Done.
Berger bought and owns the Applied Ballistics ammo company.

Reactions: kthomas
That’s an excellent point. We are looking for factory ammo that has a high degree of consistency from lot to lot, with terminal ballistics designed to stop people.

In contrast, before I got on the sniper team, the team shot .308 Sierra Match Kings. Our sniper team leader says they were excellent target rounds and shot very nice groups. However, they would over-penetrate and would not properly fragment, distort, or cause otherwise suitable wound channels.

A few things.
1. There is a fair sized group of LE haters here, keeping these questions in the LE section weeds out some of that.
2. A 130 grain bullet is absolutely sufficient for your needs, but it needs to hold together after intermediate barriers.
3. Don't put a lot of stock in any data Hornady gives you.
4. Are you sure it's the ammo and not the rifles? 6.5 burns out a barrel more than twice as fast as a .308.

Reactions: Bigrederic

Honestly im kind of surprised that they would go to 6.5CM over the 308win for an LEO sharpshooter role.
Havent really done much research comparing the two in that role but i would think the old 308win would have better performance than the 6.5 in tests like deflection on window glass and penetration at typical engagement distances for law enforcement.
But i guess times are a changin.

In contrast, before I got on the sniper team, the team shot .308 Sierra Match Kings.
168 SMK is probably not the best choice, but why the switch of calibers not just a new bullet?

ETA: poster above beat me to it :LOL::censored:

Last edited:
I’m a LE sniper in Texas. We have 20” Bergara 6.5 creedmoor rifles. I am looking for recommendations for factory 6.5 cm tactical ammo.

We had been shooting 147 grain Hornady ELD. During the first year of Covid, Hornady sent us 147 gr TAP ammo instead of the ELD and told us it was the same thing. It was not. We used to shoot 1/2 minute groups with our rifles. Now we can barely hold 1” at 100 yds. We’ve tried 140 grain TAP; even worse groups. All five of our rifles are struggling, with experienced shooters. We even had Bergara re-barrel three of the rifles. Still no improvement.

Our next move is to try out ammunition. It has to be factory and it has to be suitable for tactical applications. We are going to shop around and get several different bullets and test them through each of our rifles.

First of all, I have never been and never will be in your line of work.

Go buy a different lot of Match (Not TAP) 147's than you were using to begin with, and see how they shoot.
Have a chat with Hornady, and ask them for the same mix from the ammo you used that worked great. If you have some boxes that have the lot# , that would be helpful.
If the 147 ELD-M fits best for your uses, stay with it, and avoid bullet designs that respond differently to tissue.

You probably have some bonded bullets that you use for specific purposes...

Depending on your distance parameters, consider the match (not TAP) 140 ELD-M.

140gr eld-m hornady match ammo will work. They are killing elk and bear with them over on rokslide.

140gr eld-m hornady match ammo will work. They are killing elk and bear with them over on rokslide.
Yup. Reading that too. Also seeing more issues with bergara's recently. No experience myself with them but have noticed the trend across a few forums.

Seems odd you would be asking this question here. Have you consulted with any other agencies, asked the ASA? I would be more concerned how the round performed through intermediate barriers than 1/2 inch groups. I would assume you have tested these rounds shooting through various types of glass you would normally encounter. Also most are using separate rounds for open air and intermediate barriers. A lot to think about. Sorry fat fingers as well, clicked the like button by mistake,

He already mentioned they have something for barriers.

For open air no obstacle Id take a look at a 95 grain Vmax, or something similar . Muzzle velocity on a 20” will be up around 3200fps and flatter than any of the heavies 130-147 out to 500.

That round Will definitely expand on a soft skinned target and minimize over penetration. Remember Kennedy and the magic bullet that hit connley

Just a thought, no leo or mil background.

58F4846B-396F-40CE-90DF-C6DE21F88610.jpeg
35E57B5F-F85A-4129-B023-2902AE0E0FE5.jpeg

Aren’t most leo sniper shots taken with in 70 yards or so?

Wow, that's very surprising to me as my good friend and member here, @GBMaryland, got some Hornady 147 TAP and his gun absolutely loves it and his chrono data showed very consistent MVs....better than the ELD version.

Wow, that's very surprising to me as my good friend and member here, @GBMaryland, got some Hornady 147 TAP and his gun absolutely loves it and his chrono data showed very consistent MVs....better than the ELD version.
Honestly by the wording he used and seemingly non existent knowledge of exterior ballistics or basics from someone claiming to be a "Sniper " all of it is suspect to bullshit.
But what do i know im not in the super secret squirrel club.

Honestly by the wording he used and seemingly non existent knowledge of exterior ballistics or basics from someone claiming to be a "Sniper " all of it is suspect to bullshit.
Hence my first post in this thread. There's nothing secret squirrel about the ammo or recommendations. I just have my reservations when someone creates an account a few months ago and their first and second posts on this entire site are in this thread, so I figured it would be best to tag Frank. Maybe the guy is legit, maybe not

Hence my first post in this thread. There's nothing secret squirrel about the ammo or recommendations. I just have my reservations when someone creates an account a few months ago and their first and second posts on this entire site are in this thread, so I figured it would be best to tag Frank. Maybe the guy is legit, maybe not
Yeah i read into that and tried to keep my responses on point but after seeing no intelligent or useful feedback from the OP formed my own opinion. 👍

Hence my first post in this thread. There's nothing secret squirrel about the ammo or recommendations. I just have my reservations when sometime creates an account a few months ago and their first and second posts are in this thread, so I figured it would be best to tag Frank. Maybe the guy is legit, maybe not
What kind of unit "switches" caliber first, and asks about ammo availability second?

I would be willing to bet the average shooter here on the 'hide is more knowledgeable about ballistics than then average LE sniper.

Also, not all LE snipers are well funded and have lots of resources to back them. Some departments are extremely small and limited in the training and resources they provide.

I'm not LE, but there's a pretty big spectrum as to what constitutes an LE sniper across departments and what resources they have at their disposal.

Texas is a huge place, with a lot of departments. Some are undoubtedly very small. I don't know the OP, but I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt. Besides, he's not going to find out anything here that he can't find elsewhere.

I would be willing to bet the average shooter here on the 'hide is more knowledgeable about ballistics than then average LE sniper.

Also, not all LE snipers are well funded and have lots of resources to back them. Some departments are extremely small and limited in the training and resources they provide.

I'm not LE, but there's a pretty big spectrum as to what constitutes an LE sniper across departments and what resources they have at their disposal.

Texas is a huge place, with a lot of departments. Some are undoubtedly very small. I don't know the OP, but I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt. Besides, he's not going to find out anything here that he can't find elsewhere.
Those are valid and excellent points it just strikes me as strange someone willing to so loosly throw the title of " Sniper " around can be so uneducated on basics.
Much of what i learned was before the endless information available on the internet, i also have learned that a good portion of what i thought i knew was smoke and mirrors.
A good portion of that new knowledge has come from reading and implementing techniques gleaned from memebers of this site both before and after actually joining.
Im still learning and as long as im still breathing will continue to do so.

What kind of unit "switches" caliber first, and asks about ammo availability second?
I'm not disputing agencies do dumb things, but the one thing agencies have is layers of bureaucracy that, for better or worse, means nothing flows smoothly, in a timely manner, or without many sets of eyes looking over a proposal that would typically make someone stop and say, "Hey, do we have ammo lined up, if we're considering a change in caliber? Have we done any testing? Have we reached out to Hornady, Federal, etc to see if they've done penetration testing on glass, car doors, etc? How about FBI testing?" Somewhere along the line, someone had to ask about liability. I'm trying to give OP the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he's in a very small agency, but those tend not to have sniper positions. There are just some red flags I see, which may or may not be real

Last edited:
Reactions: RRW and XLR308
Chrono info for 147 ELDM TAP:

IMG_0076.jpeg

At 20 shots, it didn’t open up at all… still approximately 10.

Didn’t leave the chrono on for the next 200 shots….

Once I got the ballistic calculator dialed in, I was hitting targets at 1140 without any issues.

Basically a 6 or 7 for gun speed; not really bothered badly by wind…

I have found that the factory white box 147ELD – M has massive SD (30+)

Using new norma brass and H 4350, federal large rifle match primers, and 147s, I get an SD of 8 out of my LMTMWS, and 4 in my bolt gun.

TAP really isn’t that bad at all…

I'm not disputing agencies do dumb things, but the one thing agencies have is layers of bureaucracy that, for better or worse, means nothing flows smoothly, in a timely manner, or without many sets of eyes looking over a proposal that would typically make someone stop and say, "Hey, do we have ammo lined up, if we're considering a change in caliber? Have we done any testing? Have we reached out to Hornady, Federal, etc to see if they've done penetration testing on glass, car doors, etc? How about FBI testing?" Somewhere along the line, someone had to ask about liability. I'm trying to give OP the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he's in a very small agency, but those tend not to have sniper positions. There are just some red flags I see, which may or may not
It not just LEO that bureaucracy is contantly screwing everything up but im sure that is old news to everyone.
Its every industry large and small accross all levels from top down.

I'm not disputing agencies do dumb things, but the one thing agencies have is layers of bureaucracy that, for better or worse, means nothing flows smoothly, in a timely manner, or without many sets of eyes looking over a proposal that would typically make someone stop and say, "Hey, do we have ammo lined up, if we're considering a change in caliber? Have we done any testing? Have we reached out to Hornady, Federal, etc to see if they've done penetration testing on glass, car doors, etc? How about FBI testing?" Somewhere along the line, someone had to ask about liability. I'm trying to give OP the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he's in a very small agency, but those tend not to have sniper positions. There are just some red flags I see, which may or may not be real
In all reality, in MANY jurisdictions, it doesn't work that way.
Most cops aren't gun guys, let alone have ANY clue about internal, external and terminal ballistics.
The SWAT commander schmoozes the chief, "Hey, we want to get "this" because of "that"" and they buy off on it.
You have the SWAT mafia that roam around in their tight fitting t shirts with the "we're shit hot" attitude and many of them don't have a clue.
This isn't across the board, but it isn't uncommon.
When they get the okay to move to 6.5, they don't rebarrel, they buy new rifles.

Reactions: Bluedog82
In all reality, in MANY jurisdictions, it doesn't work that way.
Most cops aren't gun guys, let alone have ANY clue about internal, external and terminal ballistics.
The SWAT commander schmoozes the chief, "Hey, we want to get "this" because of "that"" and they buy off on it.
You have the SWAT mafia that roam around in their tight fitting t shirts with the "we're shit hot" attitude and many of them don't have a clue.
This isn't across the board, but it isn't uncommon.
When they get the okay to move to 6.5, they don't rebarrel, they buy new rifles.
Hey now! Up until a few years ago when i promoted, I wore those tight fitting T-shirts 🤣🤣

My agency had to be dragged into the 21st century. We still haven't changed from 308 and we won't before I retire, but we have a firearms committee that reviews all these things before making any significant change and even then, the command staff can accept or deny our requests. We also have a judge on staff, and then there's the attorneys who are all wondering about the liability. We are the very definition of steering the Titanic when it comes to change

Last edited:
Hey now! Up until a few years ago when i promoted, I wore those tight fitting T-shirts 🤣🤣

My agency had to be dragged into the 21st century. We still haven't changed from 308 and we won't before I retire, but we have a firearms committee that reviews all these things before making any significant change and even then, the command staff can accept or deny our requests. We also have a judge on staff, and then there's the attorneys who are all wondering about the liability. We are the very definition of steering the Titanic when it comes to change
That was kind of my basis for one of my responses in this thread.
What does the 6.5CM have over the 308win inside of typical LEO engagment ranges.
I could be wrong but i dont see LEO taking 800+ meter shots on suspects and haven't heard of any.

What does the 6.5CM have over the 308win inside of typical LEO engagment ranges.
I could be wrong but i dont see LEO taking 800+ meter shots on suspects and haven't heard of any.
The biggest advantage is the reduced recoil

It's not uncommon for LE to move over to 6.5 Creedmoor. More than a few departments have done so.

Some of the advantages:

- Decreased recoil
- Great projectile selection
- increased sectional density of projectiles, which would aid in tasks such as barrier penetration

Federal Terminal Ascent.

I have instructed the TCOLE 3324 Sniper curriculum before, along with other members here. PM me. I'll try to direct you to some study-backed resources for your department to consider.

Guys, I’m just looking for half-a-dozen or more bullets to test in our guns and see which ammo the guns like. Then we will do ballistic gelatin testing to make a final selection. We currently have a barrier round in testing. I am looking for a general-purpose open air round.

We didn’t just change calibers. We have had these Bergaras in 6.5 cm for 6 years now. I wasn’t on the sniper team when we switched. The team leader at the time had to do a lot of testing and proving to the admin in order to sell the change from 308 to 6.5. At that time, the Hornady Match 147 grain ELD was selected and it shot well. We were getting about ½ minute groups out of all five of our Bergaras. That team leader has left the sniper team and a veteran sniper team leader was brought back to lead us while we are rebuilding the team. He is a 308 guy. But we are stuck with the 6.5’s for now.

During the height of the pandemic, Hornady began sending us the TAP ammo instead of what we had ordered. Since then, our groups have opened up considerably as the rifles hit around 1500 rounds. Bergara rebarreled three of our rifles. But after we got those rifles back, they still don’t shoot consistent sub-MOA groups. For right now, we are trying to diagnose the issue by trying out different ammo.

I joined Sniper’s Hide just three months ago, sure. I joined so I could look through the forums to find advice on how to break in new barrels, after I got my gun back from Bergara. This is the first time I have posted because this was the first question I had. We had our sniper training on Wednesday and made the decision then to start testing other brands of ammo.

I didn’t know about the LE section of the forums before I posted. I’d be happy to post there if I get access.

I do have some inventory of our old ELD’s. I’ll shoot that today next to the TAP.

I posted here to get help because I heard Sniper’s Hide was a good resource. If you want to help me, great. If you don’t want to help me, great. If you want to run me down about my lack of experience, knowledge, etc., great. I don’t care. I don’t care what you think about my credentials. I’m looking for help. Specifically, recommendations for factory ammo for testing.

I think what’s most frustrating is seeing the good data on the TAP. Thank you for that. That makes me really concerned that it is the rifles and not the ammo.

Each barrel will likely have a different preference for what it prefers.
Thats why people handload, to actually make the barrel shoot best instead of hoping a mass offering is good enough.

Basically any good match ammo these days will do good enough in a given barrel but theres no one magic solution to making everything like everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baron23
Guys, I’m just looking for half-a-dozen or more bullets to test in our guns and see which ammo the guns like. Then we will do ballistic gelatin testing to make a final selection. We currently have a barrier round in testing. I am looking for a general-purpose open air round.

We didn’t just change calibers. We have had these Bergaras in 6.5 cm for 6 years now. I wasn’t on the sniper team when we switched. The team leader at the time had to do a lot of testing and proving to the admin in order to sell the change from 308 to 6.5. At that time, the Hornady Match 147 grain ELD was selected and it shot well. We were getting about ½ minute groups out of all five of our Bergaras. That team leader has left the sniper team and a veteran sniper team leader was brought back to lead us while we are rebuilding the team. He is a 308 guy. But we are stuck with the 6.5’s for now.

During the height of the pandemic, Hornady began sending us the TAP ammo instead of what we had ordered. Since then, our groups have opened up considerably as the rifles hit around 1500 rounds. Bergara rebarreled three of our rifles. But after we got those rifles back, they still don’t shoot consistent sub-MOA groups. For right now, we are trying to diagnose the issue by trying out different ammo.

I joined Sniper’s Hide just three months ago, sure. I joined so I could look through the forums to find advice on how to break in new barrels, after I got my gun back from Bergara. This is the first time I have posted because this was the first question I had. We had our sniper training on Wednesday and made the decision then to start testing other brands of ammo.

I didn’t know about the LE section of the forums before I posted. I’d be happy to post there if I get access.

I do have some inventory of our old ELD’s. I’ll shoot that today next to the TAP.

I posted here to get help because I heard Sniper’s Hide was a good resource. If you want to help me, great. If you don’t want to help me, great. If you want to run me down about my lack of experience, knowledge, etc., great. I don’t care. I don’t care what you think about my credentials. I’m looking for help. Specifically, recommendations for factory ammo for testing.

I think what’s most frustrating is seeing the good data on the TAP. Thank you for that. That makes me really concerned that it is the rifles and not the ammo.
I have generally good accuracy results with hornady match/tap ammo.
I have not had good luck accuracy wise with their GMX loads, however, they have redesigned the bullet and call it the CX now.
I would strongly recommend you discount the idea of using a match bullet like the SMK or other HPBT designs.
There are some Winchester 125 match loads and there are other match loads in the 123-125 grain loads available.
There is also a 125 grain winchester deer load, that, if accurate in your rifles, would do the job.

I wouldn't get too hung up about TAP not shooting well. Different rifles/barrels/chambers will have differing performance with ammo. The downside to going with a factory rifle supplier is that you don't have the ability to request specific chambers that would be optimal for whatever factory ammo you want to shoot - you are at the whims of whatever the Bergara likes.

Here are some options to try:

FGMM 140 Hybrids: https://www.federalpremium.com/rifle/gold-medal/gold-medal-berger/11-GM65CRDBH2.html
FGMM 130 Hybrids: https://www.federalpremium.com/rifle/gold-medal/gold-medal-berger/11-GM65CRDBH130.html
Berger 130 Tactical: https://bergerbullets.com/product/6-5-mm-creedmoor-130gr-hybrid-otm-tactical/
Blackhills 143 ELD-X & 147 ELD-M's: http://www.black-hills.com/shop/bh-gold-ammo/6-5-creedmoor/

If you're able to (if the bureaucracy allows), you can try a more boutique ammo outfit, like Copper Creek. They make various different kinds of 6.5 Creedmoor ammo. They can also custom load ammo for you as well to suit the ammo to the Bergara's.

Here are some of their offerings:

This probably does need to find its way to the mil/le section. There's more to selection than just external and terminal ballistic performance, unfortunately. The testing needs to have been formal and documented and the manufacturer supplying on a contract or through an LE distro program, because their testimony may be required at a legal proceeding. I understand it doesn't shake out that way for many departments, but that doesn't make it right or defendable. I'll just PM you from here.

Reactions: ma smith
Chrono info for 147 ELDM TAP:

View attachment 8124823

At 20 shots, it didn’t open up at all… still approximately 10.

Didn’t leave the chrono on for the next 200 shots….

Once I got the ballistic calculator dialed in, I was hitting targets at 1140 without any issues.

Basically a 6 or 7 for gun speed; not really bothered badly by wind…

I have found that the factory white box 147ELD – M has massive SD (30+)

Using new norma brass and H 4350, federal large rifle match primers, and 147s, I get an SD of 8 out of my LMTMWS, and 4 in my bolt gun.

TAP really isn’t that bad at all…
Wow, I shoot 140's mostly but do have a bit of chrono data on ELD-M 147 gr and over 20 shots in the data set, my ES was 41 and SD was 12.9.