• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Options for a high quality, fast 3 way trimmer

goose_boy

Private
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2009
NW Iowa, Spencer
What do I have for options, and especially quality vs cost? Would prefer power options as well since I will be processing several thousand rounds of 223 for plinking. Want the 3 way cutting head because of the gross amount of time and hand wear it will save me with volume like that. SO, what do you guys recommend? I looked at the Giraud, and it is nice but that's a little high on price for me. So far the only other thing I saw that looked close for me was a RCBS unit and chuck it in a drill or pick up the power unit, for the price I could buy about 3 corded drills for the price of the power unit. What have you guys used and what do you suggest?

Re: Options for a high quality, fast 3 way trimmer

the WFT isn't a 3way trimmer.

Giraud is your best bet...then charge your friends to use it.

The other I prefer is the forster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the WFT isn't a 3way trimmer.

Giraud is your best bet...then charge your friends to use it.

The other I prefer is the forster. </div></div>

i just ordered a giraud today. the lady on the phone was super nice and said it may even ship monday.

i have a hornady trimmer that i attached a drill to, but that wasnt working as well as i wanted.

i have tried the RCBS power 2, but it was kinda slow and still not as smooth as i would like. that on top of the fact that its 300 when you buy the trimmer + the 3-way head.

i thought about the gracey as well, but honestly the price difference just made me say its worth it to just get the best one available vs regretting saving $100 a year from now.

I would definitely like the Giraud, but it was not in my budget. The Forster + 3-in-1 has worked well for me, and does other things like neck turning (with the proper attachments).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bricktop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would definitely like the Giraud, but it was not in my budget. The Forster + 3-in-1 has worked well for me, and does other things like neck turning (with the proper attachments). </div></div>

i have several calibers to do so when i added it up, it was not a big difference and the giraud was way way way better.

I have the RCBS Trim Pro Power. Get the Giraud. 2 to 3 cases a minute or 20 to 30 cases a minute? You pick.

I've trimmed about 2000 cases in the last two months, a batch of .308 that'll last me a few years and most of this years .223. I'm not going to say it doesn't work well it's just slow.

How is the consistency on COL with the Giraud? Ease of switching calibers etc? I want speed but not at the cost of accuracy and consistency.

I don't measure my cases length anymore, I get +\-.001 with my giraud, I know only maybe 20 people on the planet can shoot the difference so a giraud is exactly what your wanting

Can someone explain what the third way the cutter cuts.
1. Inner chamfer
2. Outter chamfer
3. ???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wobbly308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can someone explain what the third way the cutter cuts.
1. Inner chamfer
2. Outter chamfer
3. ???

</div></div>

Yeah the most important bit, the length!

I would really really love a Giraud but it would be horrendously expensive once shipped over to the UK and with 6+ cutting heads I'd need. The amount of reloading I do though is probably enough to justify one.

Not happy at all with the RCBS, it won't trim the mouths true and leaves scratches on the inside of the neck.

Other option I was considering was the Forster unit.

I have the Forster and I love it, but it's not great on speed. If you have a lot of metal to shave off, the 3-in-1 takes forever. I do it in two steps now: I use the flat mill cutter to rough size the cases, then use the 3-in-1 attachment to do the final cut and camfer. This means resetting the adjustments each time the mode is changed since the 3-in-1 bit sets about a half inch farther out on the shaft. I'm thinking of getting a second Forster without the 3-in-1 just to keep the time to re-adjust everything to a minimum.

I trimmed a bunch of .223 last night with a lee zip trim using a battery drill with the cutter clamped to my bench,only takes a few seconds to trim a piece.

crowsniper, I'm currently using the Lee cutter as well in a drill. It is fairly quick but I hate the chucking and unchucking the case, it is the time consuming part. Also with a 3 way I wouldn't need to trim or deburr hence saving even more time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__ksPtk_3xM

Anyone do something like this? put a cheap chorded drill on there and you wouldn't have alot of money into it. By my count he was headed above 20 cases in a minute but he stopped to talk before the minute was over.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How is the consistency on COL with the Giraud? Ease of switching calibers etc? I want speed but not at the cost of accuracy and consistency.</div></div>

Accuracy is determined by resizing consistency. The trimmer cuts the same distance from the shoulder to the case mouth every time.

When I first got my Giraud,I measured several cases.I was happy to see that it trimmed to within .001.Thats close enough for anybody. Lightman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__ksPtk_3xM

Anyone do something like this? put a cheap chorded drill on there and you wouldn't have alot of money into it. By my count he was headed above 20 cases in a minute but he stopped to talk before the minute was over. [/quote]

I have the same RCBS trimmer set up similarly although I use a bolt with a socket on the drill instead of chucking the drill onto the lathe shaft. I don't have the 3 way cutter but the drill certainly saves time and fatigue on your hand. It still does not address the most time consuming part which is placing each case into the shell holder and then removing it. Trimmers that act like a pencil sharpener seem to be the way to go to save time handling cases; Giraud, Possum Hollow, WFT etc.

Right now I am considering the WFT trimmer (For .223 at least) since I use my RCBS case prep station for chamfer and deburring along with primer crimp removal, primer pocket uniform and flash hole deburring.

I would still use the RCBS for .308 and .300 WSM since I don't need near the volume as .223 in the AR.

RCBS with a 3 way cutter is fine for me
I use a 18volt cordless dewalt 1/2 inch drill , no adaptor needed.

Anyone using the RCBS 3way in a drill press?

I have been using a drill press with great success (Reloading 101 setup). Can you use these drill press style or will the cases get mangled?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lonely_Wolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone using the RCBS 3way in a drill press?

I have been using a drill press with great success (Reloading 101 setup). Can you use these drill press style or will the cases get mangled?</div></div>

I have been using it and it works pretty well. When funds allow though I will try and get a Giraud though as taking the shell in and out of the holder is a big time killer for me.

Same for me, works great. I used a corded drill, burned through too many batteries during 223 sessions. The RCBS 3-way is good too because once you own one, you just need to buy additional collets for ~$10.

Giraud. Save up for it and get it. With your volume, you need it. Nothing else will make you happy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DamnYuppie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> [...] as taking the shell in and out of the holder is a big time killer for me. </div></div>

I wouldn't be using a shell holder. I'm not using a electric or power drill. I'm using a press. I hold the brass in my hand, stick it up into the chamfer,, VLD, or trim tool, and then drop the brass. That is why I'm asking- because some tools need the brass to be 'set up' to work. They won't work properly if held by hand.