• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Options for a switch barrel Rimfire in 22LR and 17HMR?

MustangGreg66

Private
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2009
Richmond, CA
I'm looking to buy a Rimfire repeater that I can use in 17HMR for varmint shooting as well as 22LR for some precision training and maybe some rimfire matches. I'll likely upgrade to a chassis. I only shoot varmints a couple times a year so swapping/rezeroing isn't terrible.

I have a Ruger 77/22mag that I upgraded to a 17hmr barrel. I think those can convert to 22LR with a different bottom metal, but I don't like the trigger. It doesn't look like there are any chassis available for it either.

From the initial research I've done, looks like the CZ 457 is a strong contender with drop in barrels available, though I haven't seen any 17hmr except from CZ, maybe I'm missing a company somewhere? The Tikka T1x looks to be offered in both calibers but unknown if they can easily be swapped. ?
Ruger Precision Rimfire? - Not available anywhere near me right now.
Ruger American? Are they threaded?
Savage I think are threaded?
What else?

Our RimX action can be built as a 22LR, 17 Mach 2, 17 HMR, 22 WMR and 17 WSM with the appropriate bolt head and magazine.

Pre-fit shouldered barrels in .22 calibers are widely available and there are a couple of options for pre-fit shouldered barrels in the .17 caliber.

Building a custom gun would allow you to select the stock, barrel and trigger of your choice and have the ultimate flexibility in a rimfire rifle.

Thanks - Ray

Our RimX action can be built as a 22LR, 17 Mach 2, 17 HMR, 22 WMR and 17 WSM with the appropriate bolt head and magazine.

Pre-fit shouldered barrels in .22 calibers are widely available and there are a couple of options for pre-fit shouldered barrels in the .17 caliber.

Building a custom gun would allow you to select the stock, barrel and trigger of your choice and have the ultimate flexibility in a rimfire rifle.

Thanks - Ray
Wow, I had read mention of RimX in this forum, but hadn't researched it. Those look incredibly nice.

Thanks - Ray
I have 2 Rim-X actions and 3 barrels.
I had them built as a 22lr and a 17hmr then I decided to go with 2- 22lr.

It is easy to change from one to the other. Change the bolt head and barrel 👍🏼

The 17hmr
20210528_175933.jpg

The now 2 - 22lr
20220521_122934.jpg

Reactions: MustangGreg66
I find it odd you have to change the bolt head for 22 LR and 17HMR. I thought they would be the same. I guess there's a dimensional difference when building to tight tolerances for max accuracy potential.

I find it odd you have to change the bolt head for 22 LR and 17HMR. I thought they would be the same. I guess there's a dimensional difference when building to tight tolerances for max accuracy potential.
20220615_203132.jpg

Left 22lr 0.272" rim diam
Right 17hmr 0.291" rim diam

Last edited:
the ruger 77/22 in 22 mag. you can replace barrel yourself. aftermarket trigger on mine, great. i think MDT sells a chassis for 77/22 (i know they sell one for 10/22).
another might be RPR in 22. you can get mag,17 hmr version. dont know about changing barrels on that model, but its already chassisized
CZ 457. shorter bolt, adj trigger, can replace barrel yourself. i have one in 22 mag, with long barrel (24-25") and hornady 30gr vmax, that gun will hold a 3" circle out to 100 yards. I only have to aim at vital spots pdogs out to 100, hold on top chest out to 125. and you can change barrel to 17hmr...

MDT sells a chassis for 77/22
I'm only seeing chassis for the Ruger American on their site or the centerfire M77, not the rimfire 77/22 or even 10/22...

I just found a Tikka T1x on a local forum, so might be going that rout. Still reading up on it all. They seem like a PITA to change barrels on... or at least get the initial factory one off.

there was a show on youtube, mail-call monday? They accessorized a tika t1 and thats the biggest issurpe they had, swapping barrel. The result was a heavier barrel didnt seem to improve accuracy from original.
i think a cz 457 is a good option. Easy to replace barrel, and it takes 455 barrels which are relatively plentiful,and available. Same mags as 455. Trigger, bolt throw are much improved, there are chassis avail as well

The Tikka isn't really suited for barrel swapping, it could be done if you really wanted I guess.

The CZ 455/457 is setup for quick change barrels but the RTZ isn't reported to be very reliable.

thats a good point, RTZ. I check all my zeros after changing barrels, including my AI AX and ATX.