• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Options for covering an AICS cheekpiece?

glock24

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 14, 2006
    West Michigan
    I'm finding the cheekpiece of my AICS stock a bit slippery. I'm too used to the great feel of my Eagle stock packs.

Are there any good solutions for giving my cheekpiece a softer, higher friction surface? Any self-adhesive coverings that work well?

Re: Options for covering an AICS cheekpiece?

Just keep shooting it youll get used to it. Or let me know when you want to sell the stock... LOL

Rich

look for some sticky backed moleskin ....

some craft stores might have it.

First off, I know they are big bucks to replace(150 right?). And if its like my setup in which I had to mill it down to get myself low enough to see through the dam scope you may not be able to add to it. One thought comes to mind, it is plastic and when heating plastic with a small torch(underside first) see if it becomes more abrasive and then attempt topside. I experienced the same thing when I first got mine but dont even think about it now.

I milled mine down about .25" and have an eagle stock pad on it. Works great with my big melon.

Another option is to go check out your local watercraft dealer and see if they have some scrap floorboard material. The stuff they use on the Yamaha & Hondas is really durable and I have used it for a few different applications that are similar to what you are talking about.

Adam

I'm not sure if it would fit the application, but what comes to mind is a thin open cell foam used in too box drawers, or for general application no skid surfaces for bench or table top working. It resembles wet suit material, and is about .060"-.080" thick, and is definitely a non skid surface. it's not uncomfortble to the touch, but might get abrasive after repeated shots. Usually comes in rolls, and can be found in hardware stores, sometimes in the household goods section, or something similar may be found in the tool section. You'd have to adhere it somehow, like with 3M77 spray adhesive or something similar.
    PS...I'm not talking about the stuff Crafstman sells for drawer liners, either. That wouldn't work.

+1 I put my Eagle sock pack over mine and works well. Give you another place to put your "dope" in.

Rattle can undercoat spray. Wally World sells it for about $2 a
    can, and its rubberizedish. Thin enough that no mods needed to original piece. Duke.

I second Outs, we used moleskin over our iso mat and tape cheek pieces in sniper school, works great, and buffs your cheek soft as a babies backside. Plus you can just peel it off and apply another piece when it gets nasty.

This is your product right here!

http://www.brookstactical.com/Pages/whtsagrp.html

I have covered two of mine with this product. It looks and feels very much like the meterial on an eagle stock pack, but without the padding. It's waterproof and adhesive backed. The 5"X8" sheet will do three cheek pieces.

The adhesive is different. Even after it has been applied, you can pull it off and re-stick it which makes it forgiving to apply the first time. It can also be washed when it gets matted down with dirt, sweat, and sunscreen. Even when dirty though, it doesn't lose any of it's "traction". As you can see from the pic, it is very thin and pliable, and easily follows the contours of the finger grooves and each end of the cheek piece.

pardon the crappy pic. this piece has been on my rifle for over 3K rounds:
    Iphonepics003.jpg

Edited: My post sounds like an infomercial, sorry. I am not affiliated with brooks at all. My first introduction to this stuff was on the grip of my buddies glock, and it just works fabulous. I immediatly sought out a raw piece of it(as in not pre-cut for a pistol grip) and found they sell it in 5"X8" sheets. This is required gear for any of my AICS.

I don't recall the name of the paint, but what is used to paint the rubbery parts of car bumpers works great. It's actually a little flexible so it holds up well on the cheekpiece and offers a pretty good amount of gripage....

I've also painted metal with it and it's a really cool effect....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm finding the cheekpiece of my AICS stock a bit slippery.</div></div>I see that you got an AICS. Nice going! We've got to shoot together more often: I have some other stuff you might want.
    grin.gif

First try mounting the scope a bit lower. With more pressure on the cheek piece it doen't feel as slippery; not until mid-July, anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">look for some sticky backed moleskin ....

some craft stores might have it. </div></div>

Use moleskin. You can find it in the first aid section of a drug store.

Thanks for all the great ideas gentlemen.

I'm going to try a few of them and see which one I like best. I like options!

put some soft side velcro on ther then dont shave for a day. perfect weld

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim8654</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">look for some sticky backed moleskin .... some craft stores might have it.</div></div>Use moleskin. You can find it in the first aid section of a drug store.</div></div>You've got to shoot and skin a lot of moles to make that work.
    laugh.gif