• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Options for getting custom carbide or nitrided mandrels

KnowNothing256

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 9, 2020
    Hey all, are there any options other than SAC that provide custom diameter expanding mandrels that are nitrided, carbide, or TiN coated? Wanting to play with neck tension, but I'm preferring to avoid lubing case necks.

So far I've checked out:
    - SAC, I'm aware they offer what I'm after
    - 21st Century, they only offer nitrided surfaces on their preset expanding mandrel and turning arbor
    - Sinclair, I'm not sure that they do custom sizes at all
    - K&M, nothing other than hardened steel offered

I'm considering picking up a 21st or K&M and having it nitrided, if I can't find something off the shelf. Any options out there other than SAC? Thanks for any info y'all have.

Why don’t you want to lube case necks? Imperial graphite is fast and easy. And cheap.

Reactions: simonp
    Also, even if you use a carbide mandrel you’ll still get brass deposits that gall the neck. I use both carbide and stainless and like the carbide better but still lube the necks.

Reactions: memilanuk
    Try PMA TOOL or 21st Century
    21st Century only offers custom sizes in their base stainless, but good call on PMA! They can do custom carbide (Pat, the very nice gentleman over there, said he’s tried all the other options and nothing beats carbide), so I think I might go that route after experimenting with some standard steel ones to pick a size.

For any who are curious, they charge $120 for a custom carbide.

Carbide is the shit. As far as brass gauling to the carbide, I've only had it happen upon expanding virgin brass necks. After one firing enough carbon residue is left in the neck, no lube is needed. I do not clean my brass more than enough needed to remove sizing lube however.

Reactions: KnowNothing256
    Carbide is the shit. As far as brass gauling to the carbide, I've only had it happen upon expanding virgin brass necks. After one firing enough carbon residue is left in the neck, no lube is needed. I do not clean my brass more than enough needed to remove sizing lube however.
    Yep that’s where I’m at also. I used to wet tumble, and will again if I see a particular need, but nowadays I just lube the fired brass and go.