• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing Options for thermal coyote gun

Radioactiv

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2017
Recently picked up a Flir PTS233 and I'm trying to decide on which gun I should/should get to mount it on.

Most shots will be under 100 in North GA

I'm using a dead air sandman-L

Currently my options for mount are 3 ARs:
18" 6.5 Gren Bear Creek Barrel
14.5" 5.56 BA Barrel
10.5" 5.56 Ghost Upper (barrel?)

I have been leaning to just picking up a .223 Tikka and using it for a trainer/hunting gun for my 6.5 Tikka. Having 2 scope setups for it sounds rough though.

I have shot some bobcats and foxes with the 60gr vmax in the 14.5 and they have not been fur friendly. Been thinking about going to the 40-53gr route.

Anyone have any input on what route they would go?

Last edited:
Just a update, picked up some Fiocchi 40gr vmax loads. These things are screaming out of a 10.5 barrel. Even shot it at 200 on a 12 plate I could barely see with good effect.

Attachments

• im7BaHQ.jpg
    im7BaHQ.jpg
    763 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: lou400a
Ya my 10.5 is a 1:7 and it loves 55’s, I’m thinking about trying a few lighter ones and gaining some speed.

My noveske Afghan shoots 40 grain ballistic tips into tiny groups. I was amazed it did so well with little workup. I put the load together for fix but haven't pulled the trigger on one yet.

How are you liking that flir? I picked one up in January and put it on a RRA 5.56 with a 20 inch national match barrel. My first thermal, man its a freaking game changer!

How are you liking that flir? I picked one up in January and put it on a RRA 5.56 with a 20 inch national match barrel. My first thermal, man its a freaking game changer!

So far so good, I got my first one with it this Saturday, I usually dont hunt much this time of year unless I hear them nearby.

I heard this guy stomping around the woods behind me before he came out about 20 yards away. He looked small in the thermal, I thought it was a fox so I turned on the recorder, when he looked at me I knew it was a coyote so I popped him. Scope cut off and rebooted with no recording so I was kinda bummed. The battery cap was not super tight so Im going to try to recreate it. I think that was the cause.