• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing options from 30.06.....

prekarious

Private
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2012
Ohio
Ok,
Was given a winchester model 1917 enfield while back for a deer gun. The guy I got it from had seriously sporterized this rifle to the point that I can no longer restore back to what it is supposed to be. Biggest issue with that is that the protecive sides for rear sight on receiver have been milled down to non-existence. Sights, stock, and trigger have been replaced as well. Basically the only way to tell what this rifle started out as is the stamping on the receiver.

My options that I am thinking now are to scope the rifle, re-chamber/barrel and turn into precision rifle or get rid of it.

Thoughts?

Re: options from 30.06.....

Sell it, unless you gonna make a Grizzly taker, like a 458 Lott. Just that the 1917 is frickin heavy, long lock time, cock on close. If you want to sport a milsurp look at a 98 Mauser. You can get a Lother Walther bbl in a variety of chamberings.

Already have a k98.

Its a good hunting rifle as is, just no longer what it is supposed to be and cannot get back to origional make up. Thinking that for now I'm just gonna glass it, possibly use one season to see if it won't grow on me a bit (in the right way) and increase budget for next one.
Appreciate the thought

Don't even bother. Tell you what I'll give you 100 bucks and take it of your hands man.

Seriously though some of them can be shooters. I have an eddystone (was sporterized like yours a long time ago) that is sub moa with factory ammo. I've killed a lot of deer with it.

Oh there is no doubt that it will shoot. 300 yds I'm holding 5 inches with the aftermarket irons on it. More that I know what it is supposed to be and the wife said no more for now unless I get rid of one. This rifle happens to be the one that sees the least amount of use so it has become the one to make a decision about. Have had it for about 2 1/2 yrs now and complaints are all cosmetics, functions great

Is it you just want to use milsurps for hunting or you just like that Enfield? I understand as I use a Turk sporter and my Daughters use a VZ sporter both in 7x57 for speed goats. I also have a Mosin setup for elk with 1-4 glass, 22" bbl shoots 1.5 moa all day long.

What part of CO are you in?

My personal preference for rifles has always been the WWI & II battle rifles. Not that big on this one because I know what it is supposed to be and everytime I look at it that's all that I can see.

I just moved to Rifle, finally got out of damned Cali and loving it

I wouldn't get rid of it. Those 1917's are shooters. I had a 30-06 with an aftermarket barrel that held MOA with ease, it is now re-barreled to a .375 H&H with a Shaw barrel (my Dad's rifle now) and it shoots even better! Great actions - they're equally at home on the range as they are in the field. I own rifles with more modern actions (Surgeon, Weatherby, etc.) and they are not as much an upgrade over the 1917 as others want us to believe.

Good shooting,

Jason

I would keep it for sure, perhaps turn it into a science project and use it like you say. Hunt, "plink" and just enjoy the old rifle. You won't get back enough to validate selling a useful old rifle that clearly shoots.

Thanks for the input.
For now gonna keep it and slowly mod/upgrade until its in a configuration that I am happy with