• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Options so, so , so many options

CRFLY

Private
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2020
  • What is the platform for the scope? Bergara B-14 HMR
  • What cartridge are you shooting? 6.5 Creedmor
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Hunting/longer range plinking
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? All. As of now typical hunts are in the Rockies, all on foot
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? Regular access to the range goes from 100-800yrds
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? Big fan of simplicity and functionality
  • What is the price range you can afford? $750

Above is the basic outline of were I’m at currently. I have been searching for a new deer rifle for a while and really enjoy shooting at longer ranges (not good at it yet but enjoy it) so I decided on a factory hybrid style rifle. All our hunting is in the high mountains of CO. Last years elk hunt (used and will continue to use the .300WM) took place at 10,500’ and above. The deer seemed to be in the 7500’-9500’ range at the same time. Temps range from “I think hell has frozen” and “Hot as balls”. I have fairly regular access to a couple ranges the go out to 600 and 800 yards; paper and steel.

I’m looking for an optic that matches the function of the gun. Something simple enough durable enough to bang around the woods in but also something I can grow into as my knowledge and marksmanship improve (ideally). Pretty new to this type of shooting (my .300WM has basic crosshairs and I hold over for Elevation and wind). I do think I am leaning towards a Mil scope. I have no brand loyalty.

Thanks for all the help and I am very open to links for expanding my knowledge that anyone feels would be good to read. Thanks Again!!!

The Burris XTRII can be had at that price point in 3-15×50. About as durable as you can get. Also the Vortex GEN II PST can be had in 3-15. And Bushnell has a couple that might fit the bill like the LRHSi 4.5-18.

Lots of good scopes out there.

The Burris XTRII can be had at that price point in 3-15×50. About as durable as you can get. Also the Vortex GEN II PST can be had in 3-15. And Bushnell has a couple that might fit the bill like the LRHSi 4.5-18.

Lots of good scopes out there.

Seems like there are a lot in that price range. What would set one apart from the others

Seems like there are a lot in that price range. What would set one apart from the others

A good question. And the honest answer is they are pretty close. Glass on those are very similar. I think they are all good scopes.

I would look for the one with the features you like best. Look at weight and reticles. Vortex and Burris have unconditional warranties. The Burris kills it in the tracking and durability department. All are illuminated. So it's hard to point to one and say it's the best. That's where you will have to look them over yourself and apply your own criteria to the buying decision.

Reactions: CRFLY
Not much really. They all have their pros and cons. Its mostly just personal preference, what size, weight and mag range you are looking for, how much internal adjustment you need. What reticle you like. Nothing really stands head shoulders above the rest.

Athlon Ares BTR is another option.
Give Doug @cameraland a call and he might be able to get the price closer to what you are looking to spend. He is a big supporter of the hide and he will take care of you.

I have two of the scopes and I have zero complaints.

How about rings and base? Any rules of thumb or things to avoid

... that leads to another question, what is to ba avoided when buying a scope

FFP or SFP? Thought process behind it

Rings, pick something. Nightforce is my preferred selection, they also sell bases if you need one of those as well. Going to go with some ARC M10 rings next.

What to avoid? BDC reticles.

SFP/FFP I suggest you just read up on till your head is spinning.

Bushnell LRHSi. without a doubt the best choice in this price range. Shoot me a PM as I have one without a rifle to go on at the moment I may be willing to let go.

Reactions: CRFLY and 260284
The glass in the Bushnell LRHSi and LRSTi is better than the glass in the XTRII. I have owned both and only kept the Bushnells. They are a great scope for huntinf and the range. I have taken the 4.5-18 versions of both out to 1400 yards.

Athlon Ares BTR is another option.
Give Doug @cameraland a call and he might be able to get the price closer to what you are looking to spend. He is a big supporter of the hide and he will take care of you.

I have two of the scopes and I have zero complaints.
^^^^ This. Call Doug, on the phone. Tell him you learned about him on SH. It's worth your while. If Vortex ends up more to your liking, call Scott at Liberty Optics - another SH supporter who really looks after us.

You've gotten good advice here. Don't overlook rings. Check the reticles of scopes in your price range and go with the brand/reticle that appeals to you.

How about rings and base? Any rules of thumb or things to avoid

... that leads to another question, what is to ba avoided when buying a scope

FFP or SFP? Thought process behind it

Avoid cheap aluminum bases and rings. The $30 or $40 you save could end up having you chasing your tail for a really long time. Anything made by Warne is super solid, specifically their Mountaintech line of products.

Hey guys, I really appreciate all the replies. I picked up the rifle the other day and it certainly is nicer than anything I currently own and I expect it will out perform my abilities for some time to come.

I am going to find some optics to look through and come up with some thoughts, I have written down the suggested options and will see what I can get a hold of.

I do have additional questions:

I've heard about bedding the base/rings, is this needed for a beginner or hunting rifle?

Any other items related to the optics I should consider?

I'm collecting bits and pieces for data collection (I've read the into to LRP shooting on the other page, need to read again). Any other sources of substantiated information?

Oh, once I figure out what I want, I will call Doug at camera land since he has been recommended I several threads. I'm anfan of supporting those who help me! Thanks again

I've heard about bedding the base/rings, is this needed for a beginner or hunting rifle?

Most definitely recommend against bedding your bases. Can mess up the finish of your receiver or put you in a situation where you might damage it if you ever decide to remove them. Degrease your components (bases, rings, and all associated screws) with powder solvent and add just a small amount of blue Loctite to the threads of all said screws. Whatever you get will probably include recommendations for how tightly to torque each kind of screw, but a good ballpark is the following:

-Bases to receiver: 20 inch pounds
-Rings to bases: 30 inch pounds
-Rings to rings: 18 inch pounds

More important than splitting the minutae of which brands to use is making sure you get your rings and bases produce proper alignment. Scope mounting kits are close to the first item I'd invest in after quality components for the rifle. If I had to guess, probably 50% of hunting rifles out there have their optics installed on rings that are noticeably misaligned. Correcting this prevents damage to your scope and increases the contact surface area between the rings and scope body, which improves accuracy and keep you from having issues with an optic slipping during recoil.