• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Order for building a load

I start by shooting across a chronograph before I ever head to the range. I find the smallest SD I can then head to the range to test that load.

Not a fan of ladders as I found the “flat spots” to be at different locations each time the test is done with the same combo of components. Instead, I use the OCW method, here is my progression.

StepWhat I'm DoingWhat I'm Looking ForNotes
1Initial OCW 3-5 shots per groupPOI Consistency from Chg Weight to Chg Weight, MV and Pressure SignsMV Data: Im only looking at MV (not SD or ES) to see what charge weights my min required MV is met and if pressure is present at that MV where POI is consistent from increment to increment
2Refined OCW 10-15 shots per group, adjacent CWsPOI consistency (repeated from initial OCW), group size at 100m and at 600mIf group size is not to my liking but MV and POI consistency is there, I go to seating depth testing in an additional session before going to step 3
3Final validation - 40-60 roundsMV Consistency (SD/ES), group size, elevation hold overs at various KDs vs predicted (either via FDAC or ballistic app), overall performance impressionsIf SD/ES are reasonable (low double digits, high single digits across 40 rounds im good - i put the load into production.

If it all comes apart, i diagnose and re-group (honestly, this very rarely happens)

1. Pick your supplies (case, powder, primer, etc.)
  2. Get the right distance off the lands using a modified case, comparator, and selected projectile
  3. Find the best recommended start and max charge weights
  4. Build a ladder test and find a good velocity node (flat spot)
  5. Build and shoot groups (3-to-5 cartridges) for those nodes
  6. Pick the best group
  7. Declare Victory - Load more and go shooting
Stop at any step and iterate until you have a result you trust ... then move on.