• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ordering dies....need a little advice please.

Mike308Bell

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2011
Georgia, USA
Ok I built a .300 whisper in an AR and Im also gathering parts for a bolt gun build also. I consider myself new to rifle handloading but I have loaded pistol ammo and a few hundred 308 plinking rounds in the last ten years. I know the basics but never studied it seriously in detail.

My ar barrel's chamber is actaully a .300/221 chamber BUT... my bolt gun looks like it may end up being a .300 AAC Blackout. Everybody I have talked to says they are pretty much the same chamber except for the Blackout has a longer throat.

How does the longer throat in the chamber effect the reloading dies if the brass is the same OAL?

Does the throat length have anything to do with the reloading dies?

I dont want to buy both .300/221 dies and .300 Blackout dies if they are the same thing.

Or should just buy the .300/221 dies now and start shooting the AR and buy a suppressor and put the bolt gun off till later on?...
grin.gif

Re: Ordering dies....need a little advice please.

The throat won't have anything to do with the dies. If that is the only difference then you'll be set with the one die.

The headspace will not be the same. Fire 10 rounds in each gun, measure the headspace, avg the 10.

If it is the same cartridge in both guns, the dies will work with loads for each gun. You may want to load differently for each gun and keep the loads seperate. Each gun may require a different OAL, different powder etc. It may mean you will have to adjust your dies each time you load for the other gun.

Well...they are back ordered again...
mad.gif

As to adjusting for two different guns, that is one of the main reasons for going with the micrometer seating die. So once I get the seating depth setting, I can dial it in for each gun.

So what did you end up doing? What worked?

I am building a 16inch barrel XP-100 in what I guess I will call .300 Quiet because I cannot determine if I will spec the chamber in .300 Whisper or .300 AAC Blackout. I have read everything that I can find about the two and have both a .300 Whisper (in a TC Encore) and .300 AAC Blackout (in an M&P gas gun) already.