• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Oregon LR Precision Rifle Class Oct 4, 5 and 6th!

KeithR41

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jul 20, 2009
    Oregon
    Thunderbeast Training Group

www.big-k.com.

Browse > Home / Long Range Shooting
    Long Range ShootingLong Range Shooting Class Spots available for Oct 2011: 4

Our long range shooting classes are small and space is limited. Call now to reserve your spot. For more information about lodging or travel, or to speak to a trainer about any aspect of the program, email us or call:

(800) 662-6026
    Reserve your slot in our long range rifle class before Sept 20 and when school’s out, get a free half-day guided fishing trip* on the fabulous Umpqua River AND an extra night free at the ranch!

A $329 value!
    Not only that…sign up now and put your name in the hat for the drawing to use a new, off-the-shelf Accuracy International AW Rifle System in .308 Win equipped with a Schmidt & Bender 3-12 PMII scope during the whole three-day class!

A Note on Daily Range Use
    Are you or your organization interested in using our long distance range to hone your
    long range shooting skills? Call us at the number above or email us for range scheduling
    and availability.

Long Range Shooting at the Big K
    The Big K Ranch has created one of the finest long-distance rifle ranges anywhere in the Northwest. With four square miles of breathtaking terrain, the Big K shooting ranges will challenge your rifle shooting skills to the limit. The Big K is the perfect training ground for long-range shooting and offers the finest curriculum for practical rifle shooting available anywhere.

The Thunder Beast Training Group, based on the Rocky Mountains, specializes in practical applications of rifles, and has brought their experience to bear creating an excellent field course at the Big-K.

Unlike flat, square shooting ranges, the custom built ranges at the Big K include steel targets spread out in the natural terrain for unlimited training challenges. Of course, Big K also has a 1000-yard known-distance (KD) range with paper and steel targetry available.

Hunters, tactical marksmen, and anyone who loves rifle shooting will find the Big K to be “the place’ to shoot. The field courses focus on the practical precision and long-range application of rifles, which involves engaging small and distant targets to the limit of rifle, ammunition, and shooter capability, all while in a field setting and under some stress. Instruction is available at all levels, from the new long-range shooter who just wants to make a 1000-yard shot, up to advanced movement, ballistics, and shooting challenges.

The Thunder Beast Training Group is a set of innovative trainers who have an unmatched set of expertise in long-range military, competition, and sport shooting. They offer a complete lineup of practical field rifle shooting classes at the Big K ranch. Come train with the guys who invented the phrase “Practical Long-Range Rifle Shooting”.

Topics covered (depending on class) include:
    ■Use of telescopic sights
    ■Application of the fundamentals of marksmanship
    ■Basic understanding of applied ballistics
    ■Use of ballistics programs
    ■Keeping a shooting log/data book
    ■Making a trajectory/range card
    ■Selecting a scope
    ■Trigger and breath control
    ■Calling shots
    ■Estimating wind
    ■Zeroing your rifle
    ■Engage targets in the field at known distances out to 800 yards
    ■Application of the fundamentals of marksmanship through non-conventional shooting positions
    ■Theory, practical, and computational aspects of advanced ballistics
    ■Range estimation using mil-dot relation formulas and laser range-finders
    ■Engage targets in the field at known distances out to 1000 yards
    ■Locate, range, and engage unknown-distance target arrays from unconventional positions under time constraints
    ■Operator level maintenance of your rifle system
    The Importance of Good Instruction
    If you’re a hunter, consider what John B. Snow of Outdoor Life Magazine has to say about being a better marksman and long range shooting:

“I’ve never met a hunter who thought he was a lousy shot. I suspect every one of us fancies himself a bit of a modern-day Davy Crockett, and while some among our ranks deserve the title “marksman,” the hard truth is that many don’t.

The good news is that top-flight instruction has never been easier to come by. Every hunter could benefit from this instruction, regardless of skill level, and you might be surprised at how much crossover there is between shooting at hostage scenario targets and going after a trophy mule deer.

Not only will long range shooting school improve your skills and judgment—these classes, have certainly helped mine—but it will also show you the limits of what you can do under practical field conditions, which is the very least we owe to the game we hunt and cherish.

Last Commandment: Get Thee Some Instruction. Precision shooting requires a blend of mental and physical skills, all of which need to be honed and maintained in order to achieve peak results. Even something as simple as properly fitting your rifle so that its comb height, the scope’s eye relief and the stock’s length of pull are all correct should occur under the guidance of a knowledgeable instructor.”

Our Instructor Profiles

Availability
    The long distance shooting classes at the Big K are available starting in October of 2011.

2011 Class Schedule
    Oct 4th – 6th
    #101-PFR1

This course focuses on long-range and precision shooting fundamentals including ballistics, data management, compensating for distance and wind using knobs and reticle methods, and shooting technique. It touches on unknown distance and non-standard field shooting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What to Expect During Your 3 Days of Long Range Rifle Training at the Big-K Guest Ranch
    Planning Your Stay

Once you drive up the 4-mile-long driveway and arrive at the lodge of the beautiful Big-K ranch, there will be no reason to leave until your long range rifle training is complete.

You should plan to stay in one of the ranch’s most-excellent cabins for 2-4 nights, depending on your travel preferences. Once your spot in one of our long range classes is booked, Kathie Larsen, the lodge manager, will contact you by phone to make sure you have the space you need and that all your needs will be met during your stay. Any special requirements, needs or dietary issues can be discussed with her at that time. Spouses, kids and dogs are always welcome at the Big K. And don’t worry, there’s plenty for them to do at the Big-K while you’re in training. A day of world-class guided fishing is just one of those things.

Your Cabin is Reserved When You Book Your Spot

Special cabin rates apply for students in our long range shooting classes. Kathie will discuss those discounts with you. Should you choose to bunk with another student, you can save even more. Kathie will coordinate this for you should you want the option.

What Gear to Bring

You’ll bring a 1 MOA or better rifle with a scope appropriate for long-range shooting; at least 300 rounds of ammunition; laser rangefinder; bipod; rear bag; backpack; the ability to carry at least 64 oz of water (Camelback recommended); boots; raingear; sunscreen; eye and ear protection; silencer recommended; hat; paper and pen; shooting sticks and sling. You’ll discuss all this with your trainer when you call.

If you do not yet have a long range precision rifle, you can have your choice of several custom long range rifles we offer for rent. We have a limited pool of long range rifles available for rental for a small charge (including an off-the-shelf Accuracy International AW in .308 Winchester with a Schmidt & Bender 3-12 PMII scope). You’ll still provide appropriate ammo on your own, or you can just have the ammo shipped to the ranch prior to your training class – or we can even source the ammo for you for a nonrefundable charge. But only a very few rifles are available for loan. Be sure to discuss this option, if you really need it, with a Thunder Beast Training Group trainer when you book your slot.

What to Wear

We train and shoot rain or shine. The summers (especially late summer, early fall) in western Oregon are hot, so bring light, long-sleeved shirts and a good hat if you’re in a summer class. Shorts are not recommended. During the fall, winter and spring, rain is always a possibility so bring rain gear and windproof outers.

Meals

Coffee, snacks, box lunches and refreshments (all free of charge) are included during class days. Full breakfast, a sit down lunch if you want it, and dinners and drinks when class is over, are on you. The lodge restaurant has a full menu of great cuisine to choose from.

Arrival Day

Plan on checking in the afternoon or evening of the day before your training begins. Kathie will coordinate this with you. Though not recommended, if you’re a bit of gambler, and want to cut it close on day one, you can arrive prior to 8:00 AM on day one and save yourself a day’s stay. An advantage to coming the night before though is to take advantage of some social time to shoot the breeze with the trainers and other students over drinks or dinner.

The Training Room

Our gorgeous conference room and training center overlooks a southern section of the ranch. With this vista as a background you’ll get a good part of your training time there. A safety briefing and waivers are the first order of business in the morning. Complete workbooks are provided, as are refreshments, gourmet coffee and snacks during the day, all free of charge.

Training Day 1

Day 1 is class time. Here you’ll get the basics and background you need on gear, ballistics, tools and techniques, and long range marksmanship. This is an intense day. Class starts at 8:00 AM and ends at 5:00 with a 1-hour lunch and of course morning and afternoon breaks. But you won’t spend the whole day inside. We’ll split day 1 and 2 between classroom and range and field components to stretch our legs and tune our shooting skills. Classroom components will also include some active sections like weapon maintenance and dry firing exercises. The sit-down lunch in the lodge restaurant adjacent to the training center on day 1 is on you.

Training Day 2

On day two, under the close supervision of the trainers, you’ll put to use what you learned on day 1. You’ll shoot reactive steel targets of 6” to 14” in diameter up to 1000 yards distant, or watch others do it, for most of the day. Day 2 involves exercises and drills on the KD range to include paper from 100 to 300 yards and steel from 350 to 1000 yards. Box lunches and refreshments are provided free of charge.

Training Day 3

Day 3 will have a very short classroom section and briefing early, followed by exercises on the field course where 60 steel targets of various sizes, distributed along the 2-mile course, will have to be found, ranged and shot by you. This is a fairly physical and rigorous day, and although the walking course is relatively flat, prepare to traverse some patches of irregular ground. At the end of the day, we’ll come back to the classroom for final wrap up.

Day 4

On day four you’ll leave the Big-K Guest Ranch knowing that you have had the finest in long range rifle training and that you have elevated your shooting skill much higher than you ever thought you could.

Still a couple spots open!

Re: Oregon LR Precision Rifle Class Oct 4, 5 and 6th!

Updated with info from the website

Last chance. This is getting close.

I would love to attend but I can't get the time off of work (dang it). I'll will be sure to attend the next one.

Anyone from the hide attend this? Looking for feedback?

Yep.

Ray and Shane are good guys. Knowledgeable and fun teachers. Good class. I recommend it.

*My First Post* @K41, do you think this would be a good course for a couple to attend? Both me and my lady friend are military and like to shoot hand guns but have never gotten into anything outside of 300 yards iron sight M4 style. I was infantry before switching over so I have some tactical shooting time but would love to get into the basics of long range shooting. I found the info on this course and looked up the Big K ranch. Looks like we could make a week trip out of it. Do the 3 day shooting course then stay on a few more for some horse back riding and wine tours. What did you think of the Ranch?

@Thunder Beast training - If the course is booked far enough in advance say Feb-Mar time frame would it be possible to get 2 loaner kits to use as we are without rifles at this time?

Thanks for any insight offered.

This looked like a great class. Unfortunately its out of my budget.

I have seen a few others offered for less $$$ but I think I can talk the girl into making a nice Vacation out of it if the ranch wine/horse tours line up as well. I mean it's always nice to save some $$$ but after a year in Iraq it tends to accumulate. But I still need a rifle to do it with so....