• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Origin build first shots

Mauser48

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 17, 2018
Finally got out to the range with my origin build. Completed it about a year ago but just got out to put s few rounds through it. It is a 223 wylde chamber, bighorn origin action, bartlein 1-7 twist m24 barrel by keystone accuracy, McMillan A3-5 stock, triggertech primary trigger, and bushnell dmr ii optic. Ammo was lake city brass, 23.2 gr of imr 8208, and a sierra 77 smk seated to 2.260 coal. Pretty well known load to shoot good in everything so I figured I'd start here to get some rounds through it and sight it in. I sighted it in with a few shots and then shot two 5 shot groups. Both groups I'm very happy with for no load development. Group is at 100 yards. I'll have to measure it again, I believe it was right around .250 inches. My magnetospeed didn't pick up the shots so I don't have a velocity unfortunately. I took it out of the box and quickly read the instructions, I'm sure it was an error on my part no doubt. I was in a bit of a rush so I didn't investigate it much. Show me your 223 origin builds and what bullets you have been shooting. I'd like to work up a load with a 75 or 80 eldm. I do have a box of the 80s laying around.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1091258136.jpg
    Snapchat-1091258136.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 81
It was a real joy to shoot. I need to go out to the range and get more serious with it. What's everyone's opinion on running a 75 eldm vs 80 eldm?

Keystone can turn out some great barrels. I was amazed by the accuracy of his barrel with my RimX action. And he had spun me up a 6GT for an Origin that shot lights out as well.

It was a real joy to shoot. I need to go out to the range and get more serious with it. What's everyone's opinion on running a 75 eldm vs 80 eldm?
I like the 75gr in my .223 and the 80gr for my .22-250. My testing with the 80s was ~100 fps slower than the 75s using H4895.

75 BTHP are cheaper. (Im of Scottish origin, we be cheap AF). And easier to source in volume.

Tried the 73s and 75s. Back to the 75 BTHP

Those Wylde chambers are good stuff.

Have 2, sourcing a 3rd soon. 😁

Finally got out to the range with my origin build. Completed it about a year ago but just got out to put s few rounds through it. It is a 223 wylde chamber, bighorn origin action, bartlein 1-7 twist m24 barrel by keystone accuracy, McMillan A3-5 stock, triggertech primary trigger, and bushnell dmr ii optic. Ammo was lake city brass, 23.2 gr of imr 8208, and a sierra 77 smk seated to 2.260 coal. Pretty well known load to shoot good in everything so I figured I'd start here to get some rounds through it and sight it in. I sighted it in with a few shots and then shot two 5 shot groups. Both groups I'm very happy with for no load development. Group is at 100 yards. I'll have to measure it again, I believe it was right around .250 inches. My magnetospeed didn't pick up the shots so I don't have a velocity unfortunately. I took it out of the box and quickly read the instructions, I'm sure it was an error on my part no doubt. I was in a bit of a rush so I didn't investigate it much. Show me your 223 origin builds and what bullets you have been shooting. I'd like to work up a load with a 75 or 80 eldm. I do have a box of the 80s laying around.
I put your grouping in Ballistic-X for you.
Not a bad start!
That looks awesome.

Attachments

• Ballistic-X-Export-2022-04-30 10:27:13.205261.jpg
    Ballistic-X-Export-2022-04-30 10:27:13.205261.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 102
Thanks that's a cool program! I picked up 1k of the sierra 77 smk about a year ago from powder valley on a good deal. Figured those always shoot well in everything. I just figured with a bolt gun like this I might as well take advantage of some bullets with a better bc like the hornady eldm series.

Reactions: powdahound76
Very nice looking rifle -- And it is certainly a shooter too.

Thanks that's a cool program! I picked up 1k of the sierra 77 smk about a year ago from powder valley on a good deal. Figured those always shoot well in everything. I just figured with a bolt gun like this I might as well take advantage of some bullets with a better bc like the hornady eldm series.
It's less than $10 on the android store.
I use it all of the time!