• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Origin Control Round Feed Not Working

IowaGeologist

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2018
Central Iowa
Just installed and headspaced a 6.5 Creed CBI barrel on my new Origin. This Origin is my second, with my first using a special push feed bolt head for 223 Ackley. Now I'm having some trouble with the new control feed standard head. My understanding is the rounds are supposed to strip and enter the bottom of the bolt face, and are held in place by the extractor. Problem is, the case heads of my rounds don't fit through the opening in the bottom, even with the extractor out. A rough caliper measurement is showing .463 on the opening vs .470 on the Lapua Case heads. Just wanted to make sure it's not something I'm doing wrong before contacting Zermatt.

The bolt face should be .473.

Since the case head slides up behind the extractor it's the bolt face diameter that matters not the "opening."

Zermatt will sort you out.

The bolt face should be .473.

Since the case head slides up behind the extractor it's the bolt face diameter that matters not the "opening."

Zermatt will sort you out.
Thanks, I should clarify, the bolt face is large enough for the case head, Just the very bottom portion that is cut away for the round to enter underneath the extractor, if I'm understanding how it's supposed to work.

They will feed directly under the extractor if you tune the mags to release at the proper time.
Take measurements of the gaps and lengths now before you mess with stuff so you know where to go back to start again.

Reactions: Steel head
Since I don't think I'm explaining this great, here's a picture.

Red is where the case heads are getting hung up. Measurement is 0.463". Case heads are about 0.469". Yellow is pointing to where it's tearing up the rim trying to seat.

Pic 1.jpg

Reactions: spife7980

Red is where the case heads are getting hung up. Measurement is 0.463". Case heads are about 0.469". Yellow is pointing to where it's tearing up the rim trying to seat.

View attachment 7559353

The extractor might need to be tuned a bit. Call zermatt up and have them walk you through it

Reactions: Steel head
I got all 3 bolt heads for the origin. all 3 work fine . If it is a problem zermatt will fix it. Great customer service.

Reactions: Pvt.Donut
Are these cases new or previously fired?
If they are previously fired, they need to be trashed.

ETA:
Written before I had my coffee.
See explanation below.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Tokay444

View attachment 7559353

The case rim diameter is .473" +.000/-.010". If that gap (red line) is .463", there's no way you'll get a cartridge to feed properly. Send that bolt head back.

Screwing around with magazine feedlips, throwing once fired brass away, whatever, none of that will fix this.

1613566316662.png

The extractor isn’t even in the bolt. He said that, and the picture confirms it.

Reactions: 308pirate
A quick measurement on my Origin bolt head shows ~.485" at the same red line point. Call Zermatt, they are great to work with.

And your brass is fine...

If it does it with new cases then scratch what I said.

My remark about used cases is based on some people loading the ever loving shit outta their brass and only getting a couple of firings from them.
Because of that, they can get a little fat in the groove causing them to stick in shell holders.

Your bolt head is just like a shell holder in its operation.

Anyway, it was before coffee and I shoulda explained myself a little better.

Sorry for the confusion.

View attachment 7559353
Send me your information so I can get you a return label. I'd like to measure that bolt head for myself. We'll be happy to get a replacement on its way to you today as well.

Thanks - Ray

Send me your information so I can get you a return label. I'd like to measure that bolt head for myself. We'll be happy to get a replacement on its way to you today as well.

Thanks - Ray
Thanks Ray, was going to give you a call shortly. Just sent a PM. Thanks!

Just wanted to update and close this out. New bolt head showed up today and works great. For those keeping track at home:

Tuesday: New action picked up found problem. Posted question here around 10pm.
Wednesday: @Zermatt Arms responds by 7:15 am before I can even get a PM sent. Part mailed out by noon.
Thursday: New Bolt head delivered.

Awesome company for anyone still on the fence about picking up an action.

*Edit - after looking at them side by side the new one is definitly thinner on the outside, I'm thinking the original was a 224 Valk bolt face, and it's really going to hurt sending it back...

Last edited:
Just wanted to update and close this out. New bolt head showed up today and works great. For those keeping track at home:

Wednesday: @Zermatt Arms responds by 7:15 am before I can even get a PM sent. Part mailed out by noon.

*Edit - after looking at them side by side the new one is definitly thinner on the outside, I'm thinking the original was a 224 Valk bolt face, and it's really going to hurt sending it back...
This is highly likely what happened. If you want to keep it, let me know and we can get an invoice sent!

Thanks - Ray

Reactions: IowaGeologist
I was wondering if it might be a Valkyrie and never said anything... Did you buy that action 2nd hand?

Pretty much my experience with Zermatt as well. Any issues were resolved lightning fast. Can't say enough good things.