• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Origin Recoil Lug Mod

Pete B

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Question in regarding the modifying of the Origin recoil lug to match TL3 head spacing. Has anyone noted, or know of any negatives from doing this?
Only real thing I could imagine is the single pin having less purchase in the thinner lug, though big deal perhaps?
Regards
Pete
PS I understand Hunts Long Range have these lugs, but I am not in the US

Mate we do not have access to prefits in general or at all really........

The purpose behind the question, my bad for perhaps not making it clearer, is that I have several barrels for a TL3 that I own. Having recently purchased a Origin (Mainly due to the lack of ease for obtaining a TL3), I would like these barrels to head space onto the origin as well. For that to happen, I believe 100" needs to be removed from the Origins recoil lug.
In doing so, has there been any relevant issues noted by people who have perhaps done this?
Cheers
Pete

I have done this with zero issues. All of my TL3 barrels headspace properly on my Origin, I haven't really used any hard recoiling calibers but it has certainly worked for 308, 6.5cm, 6cm, 6br.....

Reactions: Pete B
Dr Wood love the way you think........ Unfortunately getting even something as simple and ridiculously basic out of the US currently, such as a lug, is a massive dick around for the rest of the world.
Surely not you think, well it truly is :(

Should be relatively easy for a machine shop to fabricate one. From what I understand the amount of origin prefit barrels is definitely on the rise. Would be better to have access to both platforms.

Dr Wood love the way you think........ Unfortunately getting even something as simple and ridiculously basic out of the US currently, such as a lug, is a massive dick around for the rest of the world.
Surely not you think, well it truly is :(

Just take it off the action and take to a machine shop and have them grind/Mill it to whatever the difference in barrel tennon is between the 2 action prints. Any machine shop shouldn't have a problem assisting. In theory they don't even have to take the full lug down to that thickness most likely if there is a radius in the transition between the thicknesses. Doing it taht way you could in theory make sure it was truly nominal to the TL3 print.

Milling the recoil lug may produce issues if very careful attention is not paid to the process. The recoil lug is .2500" with a tolerance of +0.0004" and -0.0000"

If those tolerances aren't held, there's a chance you could have excessive or not enough head space depending on what side of the tolerance you get to. Also, flatness is very important on that feature as well.

If you're wanting to do this, I HIGHLY recommend purchasing HLR's thinner lug rather than machining it yourself.

Thanks - Ray

I wonder why as a manufacturer you just wouldn't make the lug the same thickness on both actions so they would take the same shouldered prefits. Seems to me that would be a nice feature to streamline things for your barrel turners and customers

I wonder why as a manufacturer you just wouldn't make the lug the same thickness on both actions so they would take the same shouldered prefits.
Admittedly, it was an oversight in the design process. Ryan (HLR) came up with the idea at SHOT and had already been executing that. We have a good relationship and we're going to continue that by not stealing his product and allow him to make that on his own.

Also, pre-fits are not only available for TL3's. There are plenty of shops, and now PROOF, that are offering Origin pre-fit barrels. On the other side of things, there are a lot of people that want a thicker recoil lug than the standard we offer. The recoil lug thickness will not change from what we already have in production. It's working and there are options for everything. Competition is king in this market and we don't want to take opportunity away from anyone.

Thanks - Ray

I have called PROOF and I have checked their site. I can't find anything from them on Origin Pre-fits. I had a pro deal discount card from one of their brand ambassadors, so I ordered a blank and will have a local smith fit it for me.

Bighorn, the way you guys do business and treat people, keeps me coming back. Thank you.

Reactions: Changed
From what I've seen from PROOF, you have to call one of their dealers and ask about the pre-fits right now. They're very close to updating their website and I know I will be up there when that launches.

If there's ever anything we can do to help, we will.

Thanks - Ray

Reactions: Codiekfx400
Milling the recoil lug may produce issues if very careful attention is not paid to the process. The recoil lug is .2500" with a tolerance of +0.0004" and -0.0000"

If those tolerances aren't held, there's a chance you could have excessive or not enough head space depending on what side of the tolerance you get to. Also, flatness is very important on that feature as well.

If you're wanting to do this, I HIGHLY recommend purchasing HLR's thinner lug rather than machining it yourself.

Thanks - Ray

Ray,

That is why I suggested grinding (surface grinder) it to nominal tenon dimension (stackup between action and recoil lug) of the TL3 with the integral recoil lug.

Only really suggesting taking it to a shop because for the sound of his original post he is out of the country and would probably have some issue with getting it from HLR.

Is there a place where we can download the tenon prints from both actions?

Thanks

I talked with the gentleman from proof who does the database for expert voice yesterday with a barrel contour question, I think the origin will be an option pretty soon on that venue.

Honestly bighorn and proof are both shining examples of what customer service should look like in this industry.

When I initially called proof I was asking about their new competition contour and trying to see if I could fit it in my MPA chassis (called and left a message with MPA a week or so back...). He was like hang on a sec one of our vp's has her bighorn in an MPA chassis on her desk, lol that was service that made me smile.

Reactions: duramaxed
Ray,

That is why I suggested grinding (surface grinder) it to nominal tenon dimension (stackup between action and recoil lug) of the TL3 with the integral recoil lug.

Only really suggesting taking it to a shop because for the sound of his original post he is out of the country and would probably have some issue with getting it from HLR.

Is there a place where we can download the tenon prints from both actions?

Thanks
Grinding is the preferred method, you are correct.

I've since been in contact with the OP and we're working on a solution.

Send me an email ([email protected]) and I'll get you the tenon prints.

I talked with the gentleman from proof who does the database for expert voice yesterday with a barrel contour question, I think the origin will be an option pretty soon on that venue.

Honestly bighorn and proof are both shining examples of what customer service should look like in this industry.

When I initially called proof I was asking about their new competition contour and trying to see if I could fit it in my MPA chassis (called and left a message with MPA a week or so back...). He was like hang on a sec one of our vp's has her bighorn in an MPA chassis on her desk, lol that was service that made me smile.

PROOF is an outstanding company to work with. They've got a lot of experienced people up there and are always willing to give their insight when you have a question. They do a great job of staying indifferent and objective as well, which is hard to find in our industry sometimes.

Reactions: duramaxed
I did not foresee any issue with using a thinner lug personally, but if you can tap into the experience of someone who has ACTUAL been there, well it is a bonus. Thanks for the input.

As a side note, especially with some of the negative threads about customer service that some companies are receiving, Ray@Bighorn is a first class act in every aspect. Australia is a very small market place, though Ray has always been super responsive with any advice needed and gives confidence that Bighorn fully back the product they produce.

You can only truly know a companies worth, when they DON"T actually need your business, though still treat you in a first class manner!(y)

Last edited:
So do the Bighorn Actions not take Savage Pre-fit barrels? I was considering purchasing a Bighorn Action. I thought they took Savage barrels though.

They do take Savage small shank threads. This conversation is for shouldered barrels that do not use a barrel nut. The bighorns can use a shouldered barrel or a barrel nut.

Reactions: kentuckyMarksman
They do take Savage small shank threads. This conversation is for shouldered barrels that do not use a barrel nut. The bighorns can use a shouldered barrel or a barrel nut.

Gotcha! Thanks! Yeah, I'm planning on using a barrel nut if I buy one of their actions.