• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Firearms Original Remington Custom Shop Titanium 40X LA repeater NIB

car16smg

Lead slingin
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    I got this for a 280AI hunting build that never came to pass. Straight from the Remington custom shop vault following the buyout. Never had a barrel threaded on, and the bolt was never assembled. Originally purchased from the custom shop manager. $1800 shipped/insured

Attachments

• EF2FBC2D-C204-4C70-B98D-575D06C4CDF0.jpeg
      EF2FBC2D-C204-4C70-B98D-575D06C4CDF0.jpeg
      112.1 KB · Views: 474
    • 6220A955-E999-478B-9A44-38CFEDF807CF.jpeg
      6220A955-E999-478B-9A44-38CFEDF807CF.jpeg
      107.6 KB · Views: 465
    • 12E73A82-C546-483B-A75C-C7E9D43B279B.jpeg
      12E73A82-C546-483B-A75C-C7E9D43B279B.jpeg
      72 KB · Views: 460
    Gentlemen, and I mean no disrespect, but can someone explain this one to me? I would have never guessed that action would be worth so much. What's the deal?

It worth what a buyer will pay. So we know it’s worth $1800.00.
    Certainly, and it sold instantly, so it's probably a good deal at that price. I'm just trying to understand so if I stumble into one in the future for a bargain, I'll know to grab it.

The reputation of the Old Remington Custom Shop. Rare combo here. 40x-Ti LA unused.
    PS,
    Please share what you’re building with this one.
    I have a stock, trigger, optics...I'll have to get a barrel but I am thinking of having LRI all Gucci this up with fancy fluted bolt and barrel. You know, have those guys do their magic and make something real one of a kind. Probably 25-06 Ackley Improved because I hear 6.5 is just THE shit.

I have custom actions and some are Ti. I have some tuned up 700 actions and work from a couple of real good smiths, but this will be my first ever 40x. That it is also NOS, as it were...well...this deserves the attention of craftsmen such as those at LRI.

40X titanium actions are rare as shit! Super rare. Like to the tune of less than 10 units both long and short!! I worked in the custom shop for a lot of years and I can tell you 40X Ti actions are extremely hard to find.

There’s a post with some knowledge. I haven’t confirmed it but talks about only 18 made and some of those SA.

This makes me think Mk13 something or other for some reason.
    You know, not to try to take anything away from Accuracy International AT ALL, but I have never been much of a fan. When I was working on my Masters, one of the guys I did a bunch of carpentry for had one in 308. He had a SB scope on it and it was THE shit. It did shoot great and he had good DOPE but it felt weird. I fired it about 100 times and never really liked it. I don't have a clue what model it was but new circa 2007ish.

This action deserves something like this:

I like THIS, too.

And I've been in that shop. It was clean and was in good order. The faces were friendly and they took care of my problem like it was a priority. I think I'll spring for something real special but also something that I will shoot. But be a little exotic in the caliber choice, too.

I've never been one to have a safe queen.

You know, not to try to take anything away from Accuracy International AT ALL, but I have never been much of a fan. When I was working on my Masters, one of the guys I did a bunch of carpentry for had one in 308. He had a SB scope on it and it was THE shit. It did shoot great and he had good DOPE but it felt weird. I fired it about 100 times and never really liked it. I don't have a clue what model it was but new circa 2007ish.

This action deserves something like this:

I like THIS, too.

And I've been in that shop. It was clean and was in good order. The faces were friendly and they took care of my problem like it was a priority. I think I'll spring for something real special but also something that I will shoot. But be a little exotic in the caliber choice, too.

I've never been one to have a safe queen.

LRI has been making a lot of Titanium parts that would complement your theme.

I have his flush magazine bottom metal that will take AI mags, it has worked perfect and when I want the rifle to be "slick" or for saving space in the safe, the flush mag is great. He engraved my mag floor plate with some USMC imagery, came out perfect. If he has it in long action you may want to consider it. The trigger bow is traditional not clunky.

Last edited:
    Reactions: camocorvette
    @USMCSGT0331

Your knowledge is needed if you have any new info on titanium Remingtons..........

Any mil use on these?

Reactions: DIBBS
    Yes, there were some prototype titanium 700’s that were destined for a contract submission to the USMC. No 40X’s were ever involved in any however. The 40X actions were a Custom Shop only item. There were A LOT of titanium 700’s made. I know of 7 titanium short action 700’s that we built using a short action RACS 2010 type of chassis. The actions were even US marked.

Attachments

• IMG_5646.jpeg
      IMG_5646.jpeg
      1.1 MB · Views: 172
    • IMG_5648.jpeg
      IMG_5648.jpeg
      1.1 MB · Views: 175
    I just ordered a nice piece of English Walnut from https://mswinteractivedesigns.com/staging/gsb/index.html

Edit: I do have a Manners LA thumbhole stock with a clear finish over straight carbon fiber. All black carbon fiber. It does look cool and I got it to build with a titanium action but I just think this 40X needs some wood.

Last edited:
    This needs a thread to spank to.
    Once I actually start getting stuff in hand, I'll take a bunch of pics and do build thread.

I'm still debating chambering. I'm sorta leaning just plain old 30-06. What would you do?

Reactions: DIBBS
    Once I actually start getting stuff in hand, I'll take a bunch of pics and do build thread.

I'm still debating chambering. I'm sorta leaning just plain old 30-06. What would you do?
    There are only rifle three calibers .308, .223 and 30-06 (.22 aside).

Seeing as it’s a long action I think your thinking is sound.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Aftermath
    I have 2 280AI's already. I do like the cartridge!

One is a tuned up/blueprinted 700 built from a new action about 10 years ago and is my go to rifle for deer. 140 gr VLD's leave the barrel at 3250 fps. Extremely accurate. Score High out of Albuquerque built it for me and it's smooooooth. Charley Robertson builds real nice rifles.

The other is a POS Kimber Mountain Ascent. I use it as a loaner.

To be fair, I also have several 30-06's. A Garand, 03A3, 2 Belgian made Safari Grade Brownings.

20 inch 35 Whelen gets my vote!

Reactions: ACard
    The laser markings honestly depended on the day and the operator applying the power settings to the laser. There were 9 total short action and 9 total long action titanium receivers produced in the Custom Shop. They were all mistakenly marked 40x instead of 700. All 18 receivers sat on the shelf for years up until the bankruptcy collapsed the company. In the end, the fortunate employees that were left had the ability to purchase items before they were destroyed or thrown in the trash. I was the fortunate employee that snagged these 2 and after holding onto them for a few years sold them to a private collector. I know where 3 others went and they belong to a former Remington Product Manager that will absolutely not come off them.

How do these actions run? I guess I could get it "trued" and have a barrel fit for maximal accuracy, but does the titanium move smoothly?

The laser markings honestly depended on the day and the operator applying the power settings to the laser. There were 9 total short action and 9 total long action titanium receivers produced in the Custom Shop. They were all mistakenly marked 40x instead of 700. All 18 receivers sat on the shelf for years up until the bankruptcy collapsed the company. In the end, the fortunate employees that were left had the ability to purchase items before they were destroyed or thrown in the trash. I was the fortunate employee that snagged these 2 and after holding onto them for a few years sold them to a private collector. I know where 3 others went and they belong to a former Remington Product Manager that will absolutely not come off them.
    How many of these were you able to snag before everything collapsed?

Wait really? I have a 40x titanium SA I was just about to send off to get cut on (side bolt release,cerakote). Maybe I should rethink that.

Did you happen to save any 870 shotgun bayonet adapters…….

I snagged 3,sold them all long ago.
    So...there are these 3 and the 3 you mentioned that may not ever be available again. That leaves 3. Do you have any idea where those are?
    What about date of being incorrectly engraved?

I have built both 280AI and 25/06AI. Both are fine calibers and easy to load for but better check out components. The way things are it could be and issue for .257s right now! Love both guns but i told my wife when i go to bury me with my 25!!

Good luck on your build