• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Oryx in New Mexico

dirkreader

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2004
Texas
Driving home from a beautiful Christmas vacation we spotted 42 Oryx while driving across White Sands Missle Range on US 70. These two were just over the fence and actually let us walk up to about 15-20 yards from them before they turned and walked away. I sure do wish I could draw a tag!

OryxinNM.jpg

Re: Oryx in New Mexico

They're our state pets.
laugh.gif

And they are fantastic on the BBQ.

Put in for the hunt!! Deadline is 1st week of Feb. 2010.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooty Puff Sr.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">300-400 pounds is pretty common. </div></div>

Never seen one in person. Looked pretty big.

Its really not hunting, they tell you where to go what to do, no cameras only one person can go with you. but it is a once in a lifetime hunt put it for it.

I was stationed there in the early 90's.

The Oryx have a very short fuse and a very bad temper. A friend of mine was clearing the range for a missile test launch when he came up to a small heard on the road. He hit the siren to scare them off the road and one charged, piercing the radiator and a door on the truck he was driving.

They did have draws every year for people to hunt them on the range. I never did hunt them but I would hunt jackrabbits on the range and my biggest concern was always scaring a Oryx.

Dolomite

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooty Puff Sr.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Driving home from a beautiful Christmas vacation we spotted 42 Oryx while driving across White Sands Missle Range on US 70. These two were just over the fence and actually let us walk up to about 15-20 yards from them before they turned and walked away. I sure do wish I could draw a tag!

OryxinNM.jpg
</div></div>

You gotta watch em, they can be one mean son of a bitch

It is my understanding that a group has actually filed suit against the state of New Mexico for not including Oryx, Ibed, and Big Horn in the non resident cap. Currently all draw tags except for those are limited to 22% for non residents. If this suit is successful these tags will be nearly impossible to draw for a nonresident. Get in on the draw this year if you can.

I went on my once in a lifetime hunt....once was enough. Crazy hunters were everywhere. They are some really great eating.

I drew a tag in 05,could have killed in the frist 20 min of the hunt.But wanted to make a hunt out of it.Took one in the late afternoon at a laser ranged 547yds.Saw quit a few,males have thicker horns and bases the females will have longer but thinner horns.You have to glass them real good to determine what sex there are.Males penis area looks like a push out belly button,very small.Show lookin at the horns are the best way of judging.My male was 37" on horns and 7 3/4" bases.Best of luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Insayn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's pretty cool. Only hunt on WSMR? </div></div>

Actually they are now getting off the Missile Range and are now hunted in units just off the range. My brother has killed two off of WSMR and been along on several other hunts with friends.

there ar multiple hunts for oryx, not just the once in a lifetime.