• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

O'Shay's Trouting Adventures!!!

Store bought vs. wild caught makes a waaaay bigger difference in quality than size or age. I doubt you'd notice a difference due to size alone unless you eat trout regularly. I think the further north you go (colder) the better the quality of fish too. Same with venison. On the east end of NY there are small wineries all over the place. I had a buddy with a nuisance permit that used to hunt the deer on the wineries and I swear, that was the best tasting venison on earth. The venison down here in the south tastes like crap.

Whatever they feed those farm raised fish definitely screws with the flavor. Diet matters. A lot.
Farm raised can be great, even larger fish. Depends on the feed and how fast they're grown. You can raise trout to have that light pink and firm, flakey texture.

Reactions: vinniedelpino
It’s the state run hatcheries that produce the bleached looking fish because they feed them the cheapest trout chow. A private trout farm, that sells to restaurants, feeds them chow that’s makes the flesh dark and pink to orange (like they were eating bugs).
Fish smokin’ machine.
59CD88C5-5903-490A-B113-CDC8C198112B.jpeg

You inspired me to throw a few on. Dip recipe to follow. (hint: it’s mostly smoked trout)

It’s the state run hatcheries that produce the bleached looking fish because they feed them the cheapest trout chow. A private trout farm, that sells to restaurants, feeds them chow that’s makes the flesh dark and pink to orange (like they were eating bugs).
Fish smokin’ machine.
View attachment 7955842
You inspired me to throw a few on. Dip recipe to follow. (hint: it’s mostly smoked trout)
That dark pink and orange stuff puts me off. I’ve never caught a trout with salmon looking filets.

Light pink or Peach, but never orange. That has to be crawfish induced or altogether fake.

Reactions: OREGUN
Today was the close of trout fishing here in Wisconsin.
Pretty much all of Fall has been super dry. The streams, creeks and river I fish are very cold and clear.
The water is spring fed or very filtered run off from any rain we have gotten
Kind of like fishing in an Aquarium, I see them and they see me.
Today I saw several hundred fish as I fished the banks. Saw some real nice Browns 25-30's
They are setting up to spawn so they had no interest in my lure.
Cool to see so many fish. I have included a few pics just for fun.
The hole shot was full of fish.
I found the deer skull this spring and hung it in a tree near my favorite hole. Gotta decorate the trail.
The trusty trout mobile parked at the path into the stream.
It has been another fun year, now I need to get in more range time.

Attachments

• Log.jpg
    Log.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 44
  • Deer.jpg
    Deer.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 39
  • Jag.jpg
    Jag.jpg
    966.1 KB · Views: 35
Reactions: Shanghai McCoy
Got bit by the inland small stream trout fishing bug, this is my 4th season.
I seem to catch a decent amount of Brookies, which are my favorite. My best is an 18" which is pretty decent for Wisco.
However until yesterday I was unable to crack the 20" plus mark on a Brown.
This guy had some good shoulders, cool blue cheek, and the start of a kype mouth. He was 24"+/-
I run solo so no great photo, but I snapped a pic, and got him back clean.
Fall is here so I hope to catch his dad, or fat mom. :)
Great looking stream, but is that a crank bait with treble hooks you're using? (referring to post #1 pic 2)

Yes it is. I use 3-4 Inch Rapala or Berkley Hit Sticks in the Fall when my target is larger Browns.