• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing OT (Maybe) Buckshot illegal for hunting deer in NY

Re: OT (Maybe) Buckshot illegal for hunting deer in NY

Buckshot is illegal on deer, or they are trying to pass a law that will make it so?

I hunt in an area were its buckshot only.I gotta tell you it is not a good choice for deer I have seen alot of well shot deer dissapear.A couple of counties use a scrimish line and dogs to drive deer(not a fan).And they use it for safety reasons.Plated 000 is definatly the only one I would use.

I think a few years back when I did the stupid season we have here on Long Island (something ridiculous like two days), it was all shotgun and if I remember correctly is was slug or buckshot.
This was nearly 10 years ago or so, can't clearly remember.
What's this about Greg?
Did they outlaw buckshot now, or are they thinking about it?

Re: OT (Maybe) Buckshot illegal for hunting deer i

I haven't heard anything, but personally I have seen way too many bad outcomes to ever recommend "buck"shot for deer hunting. It's a good home defense load though. If they outlawed it for deer hunting here, I certainly wouldn't miss it.

I know I started finding a lot less wounded, gangrenous deer and others that had run far from where they were shot before dying when the people leasing around my family's land who used buckshot left.

From the NYSDEC website:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is unlawful to hunt big game with:

•A firearm or bow aided by any artificial light or a laser that projects a beam toward the target.

•An autoloading firearm with a capacity of more than 6 shells (one which requires that the trigger be pulled separately for each shot), except an autoloading pistol with a barrel length of less than 8 inches.

•A firearm using rimfire ammunition.

•A shotgun of less than 20 gauge <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #CC0000">or any shotgun loaded with shells other than those carrying a single projectile</span>.</span></span>

•A bow with a draw weight of 35 lbs or less.

•Arrows with barbed broadheads; arrowheads less than 7/8 inches at the widest point or with less than 2 sharp cutting edges.

•Dogs.

•Aircraft of any kind.

•Bait.
</div></div>

Ive never hunted deer with buckshot. Is there a reason that you would want to choose it over a slug?

hey flag i feel you pain i grew up in bay shore... damn deer on long island pretty much come right up to you.. i dont see claw hammer on the what not to hunt with list.. lol...

No, just mulling over the semantics; it's buckshot, but you can't use it for deer because some politician said so. How 'New York'.

Semantics indeed. Can u imagine if it was 00 Peopleshot?

Those NY hunting restrictions for the most part I'm ok with, save for the ammo restrictions. For consideration of the quarry, a lot of those regulations have fair chase and ethics/humane killing in mind. Nobody wants to wound a deer with a rimfire cartridge or shot shell to have it run off and suffer.

PA does not allow buckshot, period. NJ says you must use only buckshot or a slug unless you get a special permit to use a rifle.

Sometimes these idiot regulations are just that, made up by idiots.

I'm not a big fan of buckshot, I have a feeling that the reason PA says you can't use it is because #4 buck is not a good idea for a 75y shot, but a lot of stupid hunters would take that shot because it has lots of pellets in it and it's "buckshot" after all.

I wouldn't hunt deer with anything smaller than 00buck, more like 000, but then again, I'm not particularly keen on shotguns in general. Rifled slugs are significantly more up my alley if I have to use a smoothbore.

NJ's rules stem from their overcrowded population and they don't want a 180gr Accubond coming in from 4 miles away when some jackass guido with a 300WM takes an uphill running shot. Chances are very low of this happening, but of course, it is NJ.

Greg,
I don't feel slighted using my .50cal smokepole in 'shotgun' WMUs. Even if buckshot were legal for deer, I'd still not use it. I prefer an 'archery shot' taken through the lungs on my venison, no matter the caliber. Keeps dressing chores relatively clean & sanitary and minimal/no meat loss. Not a big fan of dressing gutshot animals...

#4 buck sure does kill fox & coyotes at night though! But not during an open deer season...

I have no preference for buckshot as a hunting tool. I just think the irony is a classic.

Greg

Just saw a thread of some guy asking for the "trajectory" of buckshot so he can shoot 80 yards....