• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OT - Possibly the oldest hard drive in service

G

I had to remove some files from it to free up space for a customer, but it's still chugging along every day.

Taw9j.jpg

Re: OT - Possibly the oldest hard drive in service

Let me guess. It is installed into somebody's "cold-war bomb shelter" and it controls the circuits that operate the bathroom light/fan interface. Right?

Wow......that a whopping 80MB !! My key chain drive is 16 Gigs.....LOL! It's amazing how things change!

I got a 40mb around here somewhere.

It runs a PC connected to some test equipment in a lab. Not a clean room by any means, and it sits next to a big heat source.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And here I just got one of these for my Mac Pro ...

</div></div>

$280 for 6GB. They saw you coming.... somehow.
smirk.gif

Snarf!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And here I just got one of these for my Mac Pro ...

</div></div>

$280 for 6GB. They saw you coming.... somehow.
smirk.gif
</div></div>

I have a 480 GB model, and 6G is the speed, not the size... 92x faster than a regular hard drive.

Video to show...

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/shVhpKnzfp4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You got me beat, I've got a 486DX4/100 with a Maxtor 335 meg in it - still runs, still ahs the BBS on it. I use it as a printer stand but every once in a while I fire it up!

Frank those drives are awesome, we had an 8 proc server with a bank of about 8 of those in it configured in a raid 10 and it would take about 20 seconds to boot into WIndows 2008 R2 Server.

They are fast!!

Ah the memories. Bought my first HDD in 1991. It was an 80MB SCSI which I thought I would never fill up. Cost me $700.

Ouch.

Frank, is it a noticeable difference? I was thinking about buying one for one of my macbooks and it would be nice to hear about some real world experience.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yasherka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ah the memories. Bought my first HDD in 1991. It was an 80MB SCSI which I thought I would never fill up. Cost me $700.

Ouch. </div></div>

My first ever was a 10 Megabyte MFM drive, it was the size of a shoe box.

It worked though!

I went to an IDE drive shortly after that, 40mb - which I still have in a box ....hasn't powered up since 1994

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Frank, is it a noticeable difference? I was thinking about buying one for one of my macbooks and it would be nice to hear about some real world experience. </div></div>

NIGHT AND DAY Noticeable.

Solid states are definitely the wave of the future. Hopefully prices will come down soon. Anybody know about their reliability and lifespan?