• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

K-Bars OTF knives-like/dislike

lariat

Two Star General
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2018
Looking at OTF knives. What features/brands do you like? Which ones do I need to stay away from and why?

I've been collecting Microtech and OTF knives since 2005... Microtech is the original, and one of the best, and I have quite a few of them. Heretic Knives out of FL is another solid company with amazing products. I love my Manticore...Amazing piece of cutlery.

There was a company up until the end of 2019 that was making OTF knives that were clones of Microtech Ultratechs for under $150, and they are awesome knives! I've been carrying one since mid-2019. They're no longer in business. I'm guessing Microtech probably got pissed about them copying their products and selling them for half, or less, than a comparable Microtech knife. They were called MTN Forged. They sold them on Amazon, and used to have a website. But like I said, now they're completely off the map, like they never existed. I've had about 8 different ones, and ended up giving away about 4 of them away as Christmas presents to friends that can't afford Microtechs, and always drooled over mine. You might can find one of those MTN Forged knives for sale on eBay or something, maybe a local flea market type website, or FakeBook marketplace.

Stick with a Microtech, Heretic, Guardian Tactical, and other big name brands, if you want a quality piece with a warranty that will actually mean something down the road, because the company is still around. 👍🏼

Last edited:
Reactions: iceng
I've got a Halo V for sale if anyone is interested?

I carry a Benchmade Infidel as an EDC. I like it fine....never had any problems with it. The blade is D2 which is not stainless so I keep it well oiled and have never had any rust despite being in a pocket on many a long and sweaty bike ride.....

I'd probably buy another if I ever need another.

VooDoo

Bought a ultratech 3 years ago. No regrets. I'd like to get a Cypher at some point to. I like dual action as opposed to single. Mainly for the fidget factor. Microtechs are awesome.
Guardian tactical makes a good one too.
Boker make their kalashnikov in an off witch I'm very curious about. Its going for 120 on bladehq right now.

I’ve never been able to justify dropping hundreds on a knife, so I got an OTF made by Lone Star Blades at ATX Armory in Austin. I carry it daily on patrol and it holds up fine and does the job. Cheaper steel so it obviously doesn’t hold an edge like Microtech, but for the price point it’s a decent blade

Reactions: SmileMaker
Also, I carry an OTF every single day, and have since 2005. People say they're "toys" and "useless"... One-handed open & close is BEYOND adequate and perfectly useful for EDC! Especially if you have situation that you only have 1 spare hand to do both. They're great for fishing and hunting, too. They also make great conversation starters...Everyone loves a cool blade...Especially an automatic one. 👍🏼

Here’s a couple of my Microtechs...

The top one has been being carried since 2006, and has been beat to hell and back... Still works. 👍🏼

B4FA4AE5-ADDE-47E8-BAE0-EF38EC810CEA.jpeg

Microtech Ultratech is my go-to knife. Never thought I'd EDC a $200+ knife, but I've had it for a couple years and still haven't lost it. Also, MicroTech has a special deal for LEO/MIL/EMT

My HK made by Hogue now I think still runs flawlessly and holds an edge

Guardian Tactical,,,,ceramic ball bearing action
find a local dealer that sells Guardian and Microtech,,, the Guardian is smoooooth

I've got both a Benchmade Phaeton and Microtech Ultratech. The action on the Benchmade seems a bit smoother, while the Microtech seems to lock up just a bit tighter. I'm pretty happy with both, although honestly they just get used as fancy EDC toys. If I was stuck in the woods with a small pocket knife, I'd rather have something like my Benchmade Stryker folder, but for daily use, an OTF is handy and entertaining.

Reactions: NateSavannah
Ive owned both microtechs and a couple benchmades. felt the benchmades were a little more sturdy. but I wouldnt be confident doing much with either besides stabbing them in soft targets.

I've got both a Benchmade Phaeton and Microtech Ultratech. The action on the Benchmade seems a bit smoother, while the Microtech seems to lock up just a bit tighter. I'm pretty happy with both, although honestly they just get used as fancy EDC toys. If I was stuck in the woods with a small pocket knife, I'd rather have something like my Benchmade Stryker folder, but for daily use, an OTF is handy and entertaining.
Exactly. My Benchmade auto not OTF is a solid fucking workhorse

Ive owned both microtechs and a couple benchmades. felt the benchmades were a little more sturdy. but I wouldnt be confident doing much with either besides stabbing them in soft targets.

Agree with above. I owned 3 Microtechs at one point, took a bath when I sold them (had to sell them for 50-60% of what I paid for them). They are cool and fun, but unless you are going to use it as a last ditch defensive weapon, not very useful. When you castrate calves with them, the blood gets into the mechanism and they have to be taken apart with a special tool. If you use your knife for outdoor work, they probably aren't your best choice.

Agree with the above posters. OTF knife is great for boxes and string. I carry one daily and love being able to open and close one handed easily. Not a heavy work knife.

Reactions: Jamesr1
I have a micro tech that I was carrying I like them they're cool just don't expect them to replace a fixed blade or more traditional side folder. I really want a medford praetorian with drop point but I'm a poor.

Hawk Knife Designs as long as you don't mind getting on a wait list (~ 6 months) and spending $1,500+, but that will get you the finest OTF knife being made anywhere by anybody.

HAWK KNIFE DESIGNS - Home

I have a micro tech that I was carrying I like them they're cool just don't expect them to replace a fixed blade or more traditional side folder. I really want a medford praetorian with drop point but I'm a poor.
Wow! The Medford's are expensive.

They're made by a father and son team and not mass produced they also have a patented mechanism which locks the blade when out so it doesn't have any of the otf wiggle.

They're made by a father and son team and not mass produced they also have a patented mechanism which locks the blade when out so it doesn't have any of the otf wiggle.

^^^^This. The Holy Grail in OTF’s was figuring out how to eliminate play in the blade when deployed. These guys did it.