• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Other AR 22 conversion kits, besides CMMG?

pl259

Private
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2010
NH, USA
I'm looking to convert an Armalite upper and just wondering what other conversion hardware shooters like.

Re: Other AR 22 conversion kits, besides CMMG?

I own and use a Spikes Tactical conversion. After some very slight tuning when I first got it, it has been absoultely flawless for THOUSANDS of rounds. Plus it is chrome plated, which you will greatly appreciate when it comes time to clean. Plus the people at Spikes are great to deal with, and go above and beyond, if you need help.

A friend has one of the older Ceiner kits, and it basically a single shot conversion. He was toyed with it for years, and e very once in a while he can get off 3-4 rounds before it jams.

I have no personal experience with the maker, but hear that his customer service leaves a ton to be desired.

Spikes has DC'd their 22 uppers. I spoke with them several months ago and was informed there were no more. They had parts available and when those were gone that would be it.

They quit making conversion kits? Thats news to me, and kind of a shame. I quess mine is worth 5K then right?
grin.gif

I'm also trading the differences between a conversion kit vs. a 22lr upper. I'd rather have a 22lr barrel with a slower twist, but the 22lr upper is twice the price.

I went through the same thing. But I only use my .22 kit at work, on our range that ir limited to about 25 yards. The twist rate doesn't seem to make much difference at these distances.

I have a personal rifle set up just like our patrol guns, so I can stay sharp with that setup. My personal, HD weapon is different, so I wanted a trainer that was set up close to my work gun.

My HD rifle is an LMT MRP. Someday I will have a dedicated .22 barrel for it with a much slower twist than barrels I have for it now.

I quess your decision comes down to a few things:

-What will you use it for (keep distance in mind in regards to twist rate)

-How much do you really want to spend on a .22

-Will it be dedicated to .22 or switch roles between this and .223/5.56

I have an older Ceiner conversion that runs perfectly. I dont think he keeps a website up, so let me know if you need an address.

I have Colt factory .22 LR conversion kits for my AR. They came in a plastic package. The only drawback is the OEM magazines are only 10 rounds. Extra magazines can be hard to find and in the $30-40 range. The kits run fine for me without any tuning up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ecg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm also trading the differences between a conversion kit vs. a 22lr upper. I'd rather have a 22lr barrel with a slower twist, but the 22lr upper is twice the price. </div></div>

If you search around the site, you'll find a lot of glowing reviews for the Nordic Components NC22. Their upper runs around 500. People say they're accurate and if I was going to take a chance again on one, I'd buy this. It uses Black Dog mags.

CLE makes them but they're twice as expensive but their owners say very accurate.

DPMS used to make .22 uppers. I had one, thought it was a waste of money and traded it off. I only paid like 350 iirc, but you can build a hell of a 10/22 for the same amount that actually IS accurate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob StL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an older Ceiner conversion that runs perfectly. I dont think he keeps a website up, so let me know if you need an address. </div></div>

LOL, J.A. Ciener? He might be making license plates in the future...

Ciener arrested

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongCut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went through the same thing. But I only use my .22 kit at work, on our range that ir limited to about 25 yards. The twist rate doesn't seem to make much difference at these distances.

I have a personal rifle set up just like our patrol guns, so I can stay sharp with that setup. My personal, HD weapon is different, so I wanted a trainer that was set up close to my work gun.

My HD rifle is an LMT MRP. Someday I will have a dedicated .22 barrel for it with a much slower twist than barrels I have for it now.

I quess your decision comes down to a few things:

-What will you use it for (keep distance in mind in regards to twist rate)

-How much do you really want to spend on a .22

-Will it be dedicated to .22 or switch roles between this and .223/5.56 </div></div>

The basic purpose is to train cheaply with a rifle that has the same geometry and sights. So switching roles is the best way to do that. Budget is TBD.

I'm mostly interested in position training, so distance isn't as important, but I might want to take it to 100m. Just more things to consider.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFK52</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have Colt factory .22 LR conversion kits for my AR. They came in a plastic package. The only drawback is the OEM magazines are only 10 rounds. Extra magazines can be hard to find and in the $30-40 range. The kits run fine for me without any tuning up. </div></div>

Thanks I'll take a look at Colt and other factory setups.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fngmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If you search around the site, you'll find a lot of glowing reviews for the Nordic Components NC22. Their upper runs around 500. People say they're accurate and if I was going to take a chance again on one, I'd buy this. It uses Black Dog mags.

CLE makes them but they're twice as expensive but their owners say very accurate.

DPMS used to make .22 uppers. I had one, thought it was a waste of money and traded it off. I only paid like 350 iirc, but you can build a hell of a 10/22 for the same amount that actually IS accurate.
</div></div>

$500 is probably better spent on something else with more utility. I could always use another 10/22. I'll check out Nordic just in case one comes up used.

Thanks,