• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Other hobby R/C planes

50calibercruiser

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2008
Okla.
This Mustang OK from 500'+
plane is a phase 3 F-16 ducted fan
Camera is a "808 keychain camera" from egay. $13 shipped

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-69IbD1m6M4"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-69IbD1m6M4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: Other hobby R/C planes

Sweet "touch n go"! lol

Good landing too!

I would tape the cam to face the ground next time out
cool.gif

It's still cool to hear the motor buzzing while it's climbing... and then it cuts out, and just glides around, until you feel like giving it some more "snort" to gain some altitude!

When I was growing up, a neighbor owned a hobby shop, and he would always fly helicopters at the park, the best was when he'd break out the jets!

If you look on the underside of the left wing - I flew a wireless camera for a while - pretty cool. Not as stable as I had hoped - every little adjustment seems like a HUGE adjustment once airborne.

http://www.tngbbs.com/photo/rc/HighSpeedPass.wmv

I'm probably going with that same camera and just record vs real-time recording:

CameraOnPLane.jpg

While this is NOT my Helo it was worthy of a pic:
Blackhawk4.jpg

Oh yes.... I got out of the RC heli game while I still had some money in the bank!
shocked.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you look on the underside of the left wing - I flew a wireless camera for a while - pretty cool. Not as stable as I had hoped - every little adjustment seems like a HUGE adjustment once airborne.

http://www.tngbbs.com/photo/rc/HighSpeedPass.wmv

I'm probably going with that same camera and just record vs real-time recording:

CameraOnPLane.jpg

While this is NOT my Helo it was worthy of a pic:
Blackhawk4.jpg
</div></div>

I'm trying to find a hi gain antenna that will cover more ground, most I've seen are only good to 250 yards or so line-of-sight.

Edit: That is a freaking tight flying area. I would decorate those trees in about two seconds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ren</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh yes.... I got out of the RC heli game while I still had some money in the bank!
shocked.gif

</div></div>I used to fly RC helis also...STEEP learning curve and expensive. Can be very dangerous too.... Basically flying lawnmowers without the metal shroud.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Richard II</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ren</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh yes.... I got out of the RC heli game while I still had some money in the bank!
shocked.gif

</div></div>I used to fly RC helis also...STEEP learning curve and expensive. Can be very dangerous too.... Basically flying lawnmowers without the metal shroud. </div></div>

I flew a baron for a while, just went out and learned -

I had ground school in Alaska, I flew a huey once under supervision so I figured I was ready.

Took 6 or 7 flights to get it moving beyond a hover but I managed.

Bought a Raptor 30 and did some good flying but one hard landing almost destroyed it - and the SECOND time I flew into a light pole - nothing but rotors broke on that one - go figure.

But expensive and high maintenance.

maybe someday again when I retire but not for now, fixed wing does me good...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50calcruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm trying to find a hi gain antenna that will cover more ground, most I've seen are only good to 250 yards or so line-of-sight.

Edit: That is a freaking tight flying area. I would decorate those trees in about two seconds.
</div></div>

They sell one that is about 12"x12" on gearcam.com I think - that's the brand I had but even with the high gain when I got up to 700 feet or so it was all but static unless the plane was actually fly ing with the camera towards the receiver, turn the plane around and static...

But that flying area is not bad, it's actually closer to 300 - 400 yards one direction if you take the long slow approach over the fence...

And I was fly ing near full throttle in the vid...you're F18 would work there just fine...

Flaring to land is like squatting to pee.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50calcruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

They sell one that is about 12"x12" on gearcam.com I think - that's the brand I had but even with the high gain when I got up to 700 feet or so it was all but static unless the plane was actually fly ing with the camera towards the receiver, turn the plane around and static...

But that flying area is not bad, it's actually closer to 300 - 400 yards one direction if you take the long slow approach over the fence...

And I was fly ing near full throttle in the vid...you're F18 would work there just fine...

Flaring to land is like squatting to pee. </div></div>

Flaring to land is more like good flying practice and easy on the airframe. Plus without flaring f 16 pilots could do Thier sick wheelies.

45 to 1:05 is one of the worst ballooning flares on landing but a 1 ton bird at 5000 ft in 100 plus degree heat gets wonky in ground effect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA19mjZYU04

Ya I was just quoting a Naval Aviator landing on a carrier LOL

I lost a tire once and this is my best ever flare..

Note the rudder and right aileron positions LOL I was crabbing in!!!

lostawheel.jpg

I've heard it before and I didn't mean to criticize at all. A sweet wheelie doesn't get nearly as many compliments as a "greaser" where your downwind base and final are so well planned you hit the gear dead flat in our community. That being said in the box we had so little time to land out in the box we crabbed the bird damn near sidewise and pulled hard flares just to hit gear without being run over by the next guy in line.

I bet your buttpucker was huge on that landing.

Nah I've had landing gear break off, normally I'd dead stick it but for some reason this engine won't die when it's shut down! LOL

The scariest was when my front nose gear split off, left 3" of straight wire hanging down below the fuze...deadsticked it in, screech and a stop - probably the most beauitiful landing I've ever done (Got a standing ovation)

In this case i basically plopped it onto the gravel, no damage done
smile.gif

OP _ post more vid if you have it - Awesome chatting r/c with you guys too (In addition to rifles LOL)

I'm stuck in Odessa until until this weekend. I'll have it out again Saturday evening. Also having flown an ultralight with near zero mass I'd say learning how to flare is a pretty damn good skill.

Seems my landings are always great or could be confused with a lawn dart.

My end goal with the wireless is to be able to fly from the camera while watching a monitor. I think it's going to get expensive.

If you Want some hard corps shit type bill hempel one wing landing. In summary the wing came off his edge, he knife edged it and flattened it out just long enough to plop it down. Bill is an incredible stick and a great guy, which He has no problem telling you. Non the less awesome landing I've tried on realflight until my eyes hurt: can't be done. That low wing you've got would drive me nuts. Me plus low wings has never gone well to the tune of an all out landing gear fail on landing. Thing squashed like a bug. Never had it happen on a highwing.

I had this cued up through a meeting and I didn't see that last one. If you want to fly from the camera I'm pretty sure there's a set up for futaba receivers that will let you use the receiver to transmit video back. Check some heli stuff there are guys who make a living taking pics for real estate so theres something out there. Try wing mounting the camera. Stable and fixed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50calcruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
My end goal with the wireless is to be able to fly from the camera while watching a monitor. I think it's going to get expensive. </div></div>

That was mine too, you need a strong transmitter/receiver combo - good one is what, $700 or so..

First person Video - that too is my goal - especially on my 155mph Q500 plane...

Here is one from this weekend. I moved the camera forward on the nose, the view is better. I chased down some egrets in another but I need to shorten it.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dl4CVgVD1a8"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dl4CVgVD1a8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Awesome!!

I just bought a gearcam for mine, but need to get out and fly it Friday if the wind ever dies down!

Here's some pics from the wireless - this is why I went to the GearCam recorder vs wireless.

silverdale1.png

silverdale2.png

silverdale3.png

That's nice 50cal/arctic, is that an expensive hobby?

Not really, $500 or less for hte most part.

I'm flying a semi-trainer just because it was left over - I put a 46 sized engine on it and went to town. (I run Nitro vs the electric guys)

note those pics are taken about 550-650 feet up - and I usually fly HIGHER....

I'll get some vid posted soon from a good HD cam that I just bought...

Good transmitter, e-bay $200 or less, servo/receiver pack $35-55 (FM!) - engine $50 or less, airplane kit $100 for an ARF (almost ready to fly).

http://www.towerhobbies.com

Hey 50 cal - post a pic of that plane you are flying eh?

Here's a couple of pics of some planes gone by - antenna broke inside the receiver and lost 2 planes before I figured it out.

4star40.jpg

landing.jpg

The current planes - the one on the left goes about 155mph - too loud and obnoxious to fly except out in remote fields.

The one on the right is my daily-driver and has the camera on it.
Q500andTiger2.jpg

Its cheap to get one into the air... then you buy the second one and it get more expensive haha!

Actually, I'm in the finally stages of opening my R/C, cigar and firearm store "Airplanes, Tobacco and Firearms" (ATF)

I can get you into a Phase 3 f-16 (the jet in the videos) ready to go minus a li-po battery and charger for less then $250. This includes a controller that has elevon mixing.

Arctic: I will get some pictures up when I get back in town this weekend.

Yes, the first one is typically expensive!

Awesome! I used to be into nitro RC cars and always thought a helo or plane would be fun

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's nice 50cal/arctic, is that an expensive hobby? </div></div>

The hobby itself it not super expensive. Like posted above radios and receivers run about 250 used if you stick to a .60ci 2 stroke trainer you can be in the air for under 500. But there can be a lot of convienance costs. If you don't like to nick your fingers and a prop stick never works for you there's a torque starter and battery ($80) then a powered fuel pump ($10) then a box to hold your new toys, batteries, glowplug etc. ($25 lowes and and hour) dot like the smell of nitro you say? An equal quality electric set up runs about 1.5x the cost of nitro and that doesn't include the charger which is almost as much as the radio.

Most reasonable working men stick to one plane at a time and the cost is low. The Army paid a world champion free style rc pilot to teach me to fly rc and the hook was set. A 33% full 3d rc will cost the same as a new Honda all told. And now there are HALF scale planes. Bill's clipped wing cub took up our whole hootch and cost more than I could bear.
So... It's cheap until it's not. The foamie I took to Iraq was about 150 in engine batt servos spc and foam of course. RCs are what you make of em I guess.

What Grimm said -

Best to get a trainer and work from there, get a starter, use alligator clips and hook it to your car b attery to start.

Electric is the way a lot of people are going, but not me...I like the raw power, smell, noise, and feel of Nitro.

50 Cal - You got me inspired, I ordered up a GearCam and got her mounted - still need to attach velcro to be safe but she's ready - test flight/video Friday if teh weather clears up.

gearcam2.jpg

That is a trick looking camera. I will be interested to see the video.

<span style="font-style: italic">Holy Crap!</span> That camera is $200? I would just end up hammering it into the ground. The video looks like it's going to be awesome though.

This is my next build. Same jet but glassed and upgraded motor, esc etc.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6TufYysDFJk"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6TufYysDFJk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Same jet lawn darted

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hTustx-qQKg&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hTustx-qQKg&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

That's FAST!!! My Q500 plane does 155 but it seems slow compared to that!!!

No the camera I bought is not hte HD versoin - mine is the $85 gear cam...

Got her all ready to go! Hope the gas I have is good enough to just fly circles with, almost a year old..

OK Got the plane out and flew it, it was rough - never mind the rough landing ...and almost losing it at higher altitude LOL

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aaJhz1HEv78"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aaJhz1HEv78" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

And another - this one has a few touch and goes' and landings etc..

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DKyunmD4TYY"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DKyunmD4TYY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

EDF jets are fuckin amazing. I thought I could learn to fly one, but everyone over at the EDF forums laughed and was like "make sure you video tape it" so I bought a trainer instead. Needless to say, the EDF would've went up and RIGHT DOWN LOL

I'd love to get me a Raptor someday, but flying is harder than it looks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">EDF jets are fuckin amazing. I thought I could learn to fly one, but everyone over at the EDF forums laughed and was like "make sure you video tape it" so I bought a trainer instead. Needless to say, the EDF would've went up and RIGHT DOWN LOL

I'd love to get me a Raptor someday, but flying is harder than it looks! </div></div>

This kind of raptor? I flew it a few times and sold it, didn't want to do the maintenance on it LOL Got expensive real quick..

Flew it a few times, crashed it once and that was not expensive but one hard landing and she flipped, busted blades, and a bunch of other stuff.

I probably ran 10-15 tanks of gas through her, was definitely fun and I may go this way again soon.

enginebreakinpic.jpg

Pardon my French but helis are just a fucking hazard. It's not a rational argument I just don't like them. That edf raptor looks like a great fly tho

Arctic, That is some fancy flying. Too many hazards for me, water, trees, tress, tress.

Wind is blowing a breezy 75 mph here with slight gusts of 300 so I don't think I'll get any time it today.

50cal - the trees are - I've been flying there about 11 years though and luckily (knock on wood) have not hit them.

I had a flat spin once when doing some aerobatics adn almost ended up in them.

I was actually suprised how close I was by the camera view.

I was a bit out of pr actice and with the wind and all - usually I like to do some tight precision flying and landing - all my landings yesterday were pretty rough (See vid 2 as there are about 4 landings/touch and gos)

I hope to put this camera on my 155mph plane this summer and get it out and fly....:)

The Three "F" rule is always in a effect.

If it Flys, Floats, or Fucks, it's cheaper to rent it, this hold true for RC planes too.

I guess I just get nervous around obstructions. I fly in a 40 acre soccer/football field with one light pole and a set of football goals. I've smacked all three, not on purpose. They're either foam magnets or actively change locations when my back is to them.

I was flying around in the parking lot (You can see me and my truck in it) with my Raptor helicopter and flew it into a pole...

The field though, take off, turn right, gain altitude and fly over trees....reverse process coming in!
smile.gif

I knew this was a bad idea before I turned on the remote. I didn't have much of a plan for landing, just getting it clear of houses and cars. At about 1:50 I loose sight of it behind some trees and proceed to haul ass to the next patch of blue sky just in time to realize I've lost all orientation and it's time to shut her down. Thankfully, it ended up in a small walnut tree without scratch. No, I haven't learned my lesson, I'll try again.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/miFNJPz0wNY"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/miFNJPz0wNY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

After watching this, (at least) three thoughts occur.

There's a reason why the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) insists on providing liability insurance to its members.

There's a reason why serious R/C modellers seek out widely cleared areas to fly.

There's a reason why cockpit crash recordings usually end with the same two words; "Oh, SH*T!".

Greg - Agreed AMA is good.

I fly in a tight area but there's trees - my loss...

50 cal - go back to page 1 and look at the right hand wingtip of all of my airplanes
smile.gif

There's a reason they are orange!
smile.gif

4star40.jpg