• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

other than Midway

oosickness

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 18, 2011
California
I have been shopping with Midway for years, and have spent many thousands of dollars..But I’m getting sick of their crazy shipping prices and being charged twice for shipping back ordered items. And the local bass pro is totally out of the question due to their 25% markup.
So the question is, who else do you buy reloading supplies from for fair prices and shipping?

Re: other than Midway

Second on both of above. Third generation bullet prices are hard to beat and like the flat shipping fee.

I buy what I can't get any where else from Midway. Other wise:
Powder Valley
Midsouth

Have not tried Third Generation but see nothing but positives on them everywhere I look.

I just switched to graf and sons for the same reasons.

I try to use Graf and sons as much as possible!

Grafs has good prices (really good if you have a C&R) but I don't order from them since I live in MO and will get charged sales tax. Other places I buy from are Cabela's when they have coupons or Powder Valley and Brownells/Sinclair.

past reloading
widners
ballistic products (for shotgun)
powdervalley (powder & primers)
magnus (for lead)

I too gave up on Midway due to S&H prices. I buy from Graf's, Cabelas on sale or using points, or Bruno's.

Midway has become my last resort go to. I shop the above + a few others. I have an 001 FFL and my 'dealer' price can be beat without much trouble but their shipping is what has turned me off.

Powder valley definitely gets my vote for powder primers and bullets. (last i checked, midway just drop ships from powdervalley but charges like 10% more) I got my first powder order from midway and it had powdervalley labels on it so i checked their site and never bought powder primers or bullets from midway again.

Graf's and Sons
MidSouth Shooters Supply

I've ordered lots of stuff from these places over the years (in addition to Midway). No complaints. All are highly recommended. Comparison shop for prices and availability.

Bad thing about Midway is, you can never get them totaly out of your system, kinda like herpes.

It depends on what you're looking for.

For components, it's hard to beat Powder Valley.

For tools and accessories, it's hard to beat Grafs.

But other places run specials all the time so it's a good idea to get on their email list: Natchezss, Widener's, Mid-south, Champion's Choice, and others mentioned above.

There is no one-stop place to buy everything except for Midway. And I agree that Midway's shipping prices are ridiculous on top of the fact that their prices are not the best. I was going to buy one of their range bags. It was marked down from $69 to 39. But shipping was $20. WTF? I did NOT order it.

+1 on your shipping comments.
You really have to watch Midway on shipping charges, especially on sale items. Sometimes a sale item cost more just because they rip you on shipping. The range bags, shooting mats and drag bags are a prime example of that.

I just had the same issue with midway in a shooting mat. It was marked down from 99 to 49 I believe but shipping was 24.95 and they had another one marked down from 50 to 25 but shipping was 15 for it. So I didn't place my order. I had rather spend more on a better mat rather than spend a huge portion of my order on shipping.

+1000

Just tried ordering a few items one was backordered. Promo code was a nogo without adding additional items to cart.

Sent them the following email.

I've been a longtime customer of Midway and until the last couple of years have been extremely happy with pricing and service.

Your competitors have been doing better than you lately in regards to pricing, promotions, and service. You don't allow promo codes to be used on backordered items and never have all of a few items I need in stock at same time. Codes are only valid for a few days and you don't hold orders until filled. You charge additional shipping on backordered items.
I was trying to order the following items. Last is backordered so can't use the promo code.
294506 spring
417752 follower
816232 Wrench
664884 mag box

52101174 promo code.

Looks like I'll be ordering from someone else. Tend to be looking more and more to Brownells/Sinclair, Midsouth, Powder Valley, and Brunos, these days.

Maybe you're large enough not to care but there has been several postings on different forums regarding how customer unfriendly you have become.

While I will purchase from Midway if only Midway has an item in stock I need, I will also shop your competitors for best pricing and shipping. Midway has been losing my business on several orders over the last few years. Sorry but you should re-address your business model.

Just wanted to get off my chest a little aggravation about why you don't get some/ most of my business nowadays.

Sincerely,
Brad Knight

I gave up on Midway when they started to play the "slippery due date on Back Orders" game. First they'd say it would ship in a couple of weeks. When that date passed, a check of order status showed a new date 30 days later, and on, and so on.

For Components, Powder Valley. No BS, just great Customer Service.

I make my Hazmat Fee minimal by ordering 50# Plus orders of powder and primers. I phone my orders in and they work it out so the box carrying the "hazardous" items is as full as possible so the "fee" is spread out as thin as possible.

Order Powder and Primers from Midway at the same time and you are guaranteed TWO hazmat fees. They can't ship from the same location thus the double charge.

Also, Powder Valley shipping charges are "Actual", not preset "fees" like the TV Telemarketers.

I don't order from Midway, because every time I've checked them out, I've found it cheaper at Natchezss.com and shipping is usually about the same. That said, for bullets, powder, and or primers in large quantities I order from Powder Valley Inc. They often have the best prices, but if I'm just ordering one box of bullets or so, the shipping is usually in the $10 range. This sometimes makes it cheaper to pay slightly more and less shipping from Grafs in which case I do. However, if I'm order $100 or more worth of stuff, Powder Valley is usually by far a better buy than anywhere else. I love that place, and they have amazing prices.

I like Grafs for small orders since they charge a $5 flat rate shipping. Their prices are often higher than Natchez and Powder Valley, but if just ordering one thing, it's sometimes still cheapest to go with them.

I also like Natchez for gun parts, accessories, etc. They seem to have a great selection, but their shipping is high. It's usually comparable to Midway shipping wise for me, but their prices on the items are almost always better. The other positive about this place is I almost always have my order at my door in 3 days or less from when I order. I have no idea how they get it shipped that fast as large as they are.

All three of these places are great to deal with. I price what I want at each, and go with whichever is cheapest with shipping added in.

So glad I spotted this. I placed an order this morning for a case length gauge and a resizing die bushing from MidwayUSA. After looking at my e-mail reciept, i noticed that they tacked on a "Special Handling Fee" for $3 on top of normal shipping and handling charges.

I looked through my email for past reciepts of orders and none of them have this.

Is there any reason for this extra charge?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BFMF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So glad I spotted this. I placed an order this morning for a case length gauge and a resizing die bushing from MidwayUSA. After looking at my e-mail reciept, i noticed that they tacked on a "Special Handling Fee" for $3 on top of normal shipping and handling charges.

I looked through my email for past reciepts of orders and none of them have this.

Is there any reason for this extra charge?</div></div>

Might be a minimum order dollar amount issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BFMF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So glad I spotted this. I placed an order this morning for a case length gauge and a resizing die bushing from MidwayUSA. After looking at my e-mail reciept, i noticed that they tacked on a "Special Handling Fee" for $3 on top of normal shipping and handling charges.

Is there any reason for this extra charge?</div></div>

How much was it? As mentioned there is a minimum purchase amount otherwise they tack on an extra charge.

My own opinion: Midway is now the last place I look for stuff. I have a "dealer" account with them and more often than not the dealer price is the same as the normal retail price, and having a dealer account prevents me from using any coupon codes. In the end I'd pay more than retail pricing (using the coupon codes) if I want to buy things. I buy from Brownells, Sinclair, Powder Valley, Mid South, and pretty much everyone else these days other than Midway. I sent them an email yesterday asking to remove my dealer status from my account and so far have not heard anything back from them.

My experiences with Midway have been pretty much the same as Market Garden's above. I recently ordered several things from them only because I got the "birthday discount", which seemed to work out well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Top Cat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Midway's shipping charges have always been an important part of their profit structure.

TC </div></div>

After they discontinued their free shipping with no minimum order. I remember that - back in the nineties.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Market Garden</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much was it? As mentioned there is a minimum purchase amount otherwise they tack on an extra charge.
</div></div>

It wasn't quite $19.

I wasn't aware that they required a minimum order amount to avoid this extra charge

Usually the "special charge" notice will pop up on your shopping cart if the order doesn't total their minimum or more.

The last time I ordered a small part from Midway the threshold was $25. At the time I just added some cleaning supplies I needed to avoid the extra cost.

I got mad at midway when they started charging for shipping back in ~ 2000, and bought elsewhere.

Now, Midway seems to now be about as cheap as anywhere, and their shipping charges are way down.

I also buy bullets from
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/
http://www.grafs.com/
http://www.shooters-supply.com/
and dozens of others

You want expensive shipping?
Buy a box of bullets from
http://www.sinclairintl.com/
But sometimes they are the only ones that still have the bullet in vogue.

Any of you guys checked out midway's new website. About as fucked up as sinclair's. Sorry, I won't even capitalize their names any more.
I emailed their cutomer service department, they were hoping I wouldn't be inconvienced with the new look, I can gaurentee them I won't be for long!

How about shopping at your local dealer for powder and primers. There prices might be a dollar or two higher than the internet stores but you dont have to pay the $20 hazmat charge!

Like others here, I use Powder Valley, Widener's, Natchez SS, Midsouth SS, Pat's Reloading, Hi-Tech. Midway I only use for stuff I can't find somewhere else or I'm in a real hurry for and they stock it.

LL Bean prices have remained unchanged and they have recently enacted a permanent no shipping fee policy. I know firearm related supplies tend to be heavier but hopefully we'll see this trend continue as merchants negotiate better deals with shippers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ADVAUTO5488</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about shopping at your local dealer for powder and primers. There prices might be a dollar or two higher than the internet stores but you dont have to pay the $20 hazmat charge! </div></div>

I certainly would if the experience wasn't similar to a visit to my Proctologist.

My local "Dealer" sells Bench Rest primers for almost $20 more per 1.000 than I what I can buy them for from Powder Valley. He also charges on average $5 per pound on powder. Bullets too are expensive, having to pay $10/box more for .308 bullets.

The "excuse" is that he has to pay hazmat fees on all that but then the freight truck arrives and delivers several hundred pounds at a time.

I just order a years supply at a time and make the hazmat fee a "no bid deal". Spread out over the max package size it amounts to a whopping $0.50 per pound of powder or box of primers. Sure beats the feel of the "KY Jelly job" I get from my local Dealer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ADVAUTO5488</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about shopping at your local dealer for powder and primers. There prices might be a dollar or two higher than the internet stores but you dont have to pay the $20 hazmat charge! </div></div>

see I would love to do this, but considering I am in the middle of commeforina dealers are far and few...even if the guy charged a bit more I would like to support my local business’s but there is nothing from me with any sort of selection for at least 2 hour drive and then the gas tacked on…no can do

i try and buy local when i can. i order from natchez sinclair powder valley and thats bout it

....and as big as they are (midway) they should know that shipping
ammo and components to Ma. IS legal, just takes a small effort
rather than abandoning customers.

Midways new website is a n POS, who in the hell designs these, must be a 16 year old that love to play with his mouse. I have called Midways Customer Service and expressed my concern
that after 20++++ years of purchasing I was going to find another site a little more user friendly, nice lady, but I left it with her to fire the webswite designer, IF he was not Larry Potters son in law. My thought is Midway is too big, no care for the customer -----to bad.

I also buy local where I can. I find myself craving a cigarette for some damn reason after ordering from midway and some other places (don't smoke, never have) so I buy local. A few bucks extra but it helps the local guy out and gives me a good reason to get out .....

Bruno's shooters supply is the best. Cheapest I have found. Very quick to ship. Lester Bruno is a shooter of considerable repute. Excellent company.

I wish more people thought this way. Give your local guy a chance.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SND</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also buy local where I can. I find myself craving a cigarette for some damn reason after ordering from midway and some other places (don't smoke, never have) so I buy local. A few bucks extra but it helps the local guy out and gives me a good reason to get out .....
</div></div>

just had a wonderful conversation with my local gun dealers 11 year old son bout his first deer he killed monday. cant buy that online