• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Otis Stuck patch removal?

PLeighton

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2007
NE North Carolina
www.l8ntactical.com
Ok, this one is pretty frustrating...

I was cleaning my AR last night and as I normally do it, I clean the bore last.
Normally I use the small Otis patches in this weapon,
but on this pass I was mopping out the bore after treating it with BoreTech and wanted to maximize the surface area,
so I used a standard full size patch.
Well, apparently it worked, because the tip tore through the patch about an inch from the muzzle.
mad.gif

I initially tried the tried and true Otis bore obstruction remover,
but after a solid 5 minutes my Wife politely urged me to stop since she was trying to put our daughter to bed in the bedroom next door.
That abruptly ended my efforts for the evening.
Thinking about it now, it was probably a good thing.
Trying to work through a problem like that when you are short on time and frustrated can result in some significant damage.

I plan on giving it another try with the Otis remover, but I did not notice any forward progress from my first attempt.
I would try reversing directions with the remover, but there isn't enough clearance at the muzzle without dragging the remover across the crown continuously.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
My only other thoughts were a solid cleaning rod coupled with some gentle impact.
Or, pulling a bullet and seeing if the force of just a primer would dislodge the patch.
Since the patch is past the gas port and firing anything with an obstructed bore is never a good idea,
I plan on using that as a last resort at best.

Thanks for any and all thoughts.

Re: Otis Stuck patch removal?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My only other thoughts were a solid cleaning rod coupled with some gentle impact.
</div></div>

It's just a patch right? Not wrapped around a jag or brush?

I have a couple of the Otis kits but have never used them after the first familiarization. Kind of an emergency kit if you will. I like one piece rods for many reasons, not least of which being the ability to knock detached jags, brushes or patch loops out of the bore.

Depending on the calibre of your rifle, a long dowel might ease your mind, but I'd just proceed with the rod.

It is just the patch.
The tip ripped through the patch.

It is a 5.56mm NATO chrome lined 14.5" Bushmaster H-BAR.

I use the Otis kits with certain weapon systems. (Pistols and ARs)

I'm not advising that you do it, but I've heard of guys burning out a stuck patch. Never have done it myself, but I'd imagine that a little lighter fluid might do the trick, followed up by a good cleaning and lubrication.

Just thinking out loud
smile.gif

I was just thinking the same thing. With it that close to the end, it may work.

Hmmmmm.....

The only problem with the lighter fluid is that the flame never touches the fluid.
It just burns the vapors.
That being the case, I envision the flame only burning at the muzzle and no further down.

I was measuring jags this morning and determined the 6.5mm jag to be the most appropriate for this application.
It is .220 in diameter and hopefully would not allow any of the patch to wedge in between it and the bore.

Pop it out with any kind of rigid cleaning rod. The segmented steel rod from any pre-Otis ar kit would work fine.

AG

Am I missing something here? Put the cleaning brush on the end of your rod and push the patch out. Or is this a really technical problem that I don't understand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trapshooter12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am I missing something here? Put the cleaning brush on the end of your rod and push the patch out. Or is this a really technical problem that I don't understand. </div></div>

The concept eludes some folks

Ive had some get stuck and whats worked for it is I just shoot a little oil down my barrel to get the patch wet and take a 1 piece rod and lightly tap it out.

Kc

Trapshooter,
Yes, you are missing something.
It is stuck!
If you read the original post you would realize that normal methods were not effective.
The question was intended to solicit advice from knowledgeable members of this community PRIOR to sticking anything in the bore and striking it.

Thank you very much to all of you that posted up ideas & suggestions.
I was able to remove the stuck patch last night using the .270 jag, a rod and some spirited strikes on the ground.

If, dispite all the above advice, you had decided to "blow" it out with a charged case...use a fast powder. You will essentially have a very long case with a yielding bullet. You don't want to fire a charge of slow burning powder which likely would wind up as a bore obstruction at the patch location. About 6 grains of a powder such as Bullseye, or 10 to 12 grains of a Unique rate powder should do it. JMHO