• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Otto noisebarrier question

Pilotscrappy

Winter is coming
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2018
Spring Hill,Tn
Hey guys had a couple questions for those of you who have a set of the in ear noise barriers.

I am needing to get some electronic ear pro for my job. My primary use will be wearing these for a 12 hour shift in a hot noisy dock/warehouse environment.

I need the electronic because I'm a dock supervisor at a freight company and am constantly on the radio and needing to communicate with the dock workers. I've been getting by with just foamies but I'm constantly having to take them out when someone is talking to me from across the dock.

Would the noisebarriers be a good fit for my application? Are they totally comfortable in ear for all day use ? Will they stay in place with me moving around etc?

I've read tons of threads on them for shooting purposes and am confident I will love them when I get to.take them.to.the range.

Just needing something to wear at work and try to save my hearing. It's pretty loud and with the foamies I end up taking them out when someone is talking and I end up with only 1 ear protected for half my shift.

Thanks

not sure about all of them but we got a pair of in ear walkers and I can hear conversation clear but when the gun fires the crack that would normally make my ears ring is gone every time it happens while at the same time i can hear conversation happening clearly at the other end of the benches 1 5 ft or more away can even hear leaves rustling in the trees , but no gun fire . Sadly the longest I have had them in at any one point was 3 hrs to me they were and are totally worth the price .

I have the Ottos and I think they would work well for your needs. They are comfortable for long term wear so long as you get the Comply ear tips. I keep them in for multi hour range trips and being able to communicate yet protect my hearing has been a gamechanger for me. That said, the cheap foamies are still more comfortable.

Only concern I would have is the battery life for a 12 hour shift. They use a rechargeable battery and I find mine are good for about 8 hours before batteries need to be charged.

Don’t have the Ottos. Got a pair of Peltor TEP-200s from @Andrew1182 . Haven’t had a chance to take them to the range but played with them at the house. With them in I could hear my shop radio but would have the music cut out once I started with my side grinder. Once I turned it off the music came right back.

I have been running two sets of the Ottos for a couple of years now. Previous Peltor user.
Very good results with the Ottos.

My ear canals are big so I had been getting the bulk pack of the Skull Screws adapters to better seal. They are a tight fit over the Otto stems but work perfectly. I have worn them for 12 to 14 hours straight but after running out of battery power a few times after 8-10 hours in, I starting swapping sets halfway through the day to insure no power problems.

I really like the integral charge station and status screen built into the case.
So far, 2 thumbs up.

./

I love the Ottos, but the real question would be is the dock noise a loud enough impulse type sound to be clipped? As annoying as it might be, The better options for such an environment would be a regular set of headphone type muffs, perhaps with comms. If the foamies work for you sound suppression wise, perhaps a bone conduction headset for the radio would fix the comms problem.

I use the Peltor Comtac headset in cooler temps and indoors, and the Otto plugs combined with a bone conduction headset
Atlantic Signal MH180

I've been using the Ottos for a few years now for shooting and they're great. I never got them below 20% charge even for full days of match shooting until last Saturday when I actually got 1 down to 0 (it was giving me the warning beeps) but that was a 8:00-18:00 day on the range. The comply tips are key as everyone else has said.

Have had Otto’s since they came out. I believe they would work well for your application. Try both setting to see which works best.

YES! That is/was one of the main intentions of these ear pro. They are used by a wide group of folks, not just shooters. They actively attenuate loud noises to keep volumes at hearing safe levels all while maintaining natural sounds. They don't "clip" or cut out or turn off/on repeatedly. As I said, they are always "on" and actively attenuating noises.

Etymotic invented them and patented the circuitry then licensed it to others such as Otto to sell as their brand. Later, Etymotic was sold to Lucid Audio and they remarketed them as Saf T Ears.

They were originally going to be called the Gunsport Elite by Etymotic, after their Gunsport Pro ear buds that were battery operated. Then like I said, they licensed them to Otto. They were under a no-compete clause for two years after Lucid bought them out. Lucid went a slightly different direction to capture a broader market and renamed them Saf T Ear. Same product.

I have run the GSP for several years and now the Saf-T-Ears/Elites for the past 3 or 4 years. They are super comfy for all day wear and have many different size ear tips to fit your ears and can be fitted with custom molds. I prefer the Comply foam tips myself --> https://www.amazon.com/Comply-Profe...ywords=comply+foam+tips&qid=1624381313&sr=8-8

Great product!

Hey guys had a couple questions for those of you who have a set of the in ear noise barriers.

I am needing to get some electronic ear pro for my job. My primary use will be wearing these for a 12 hour shift in a hot noisy dock/warehouse environment.

I need the electronic because I'm a dock supervisor at a freight company and am constantly on the radio and needing to communicate with the dock workers. I've been getting by with just foamies but I'm constantly having to take them out when someone is talking to me from across the dock.

Would the noisebarriers be a good fit for my application? Are they totally comfortable in ear for all day use ? Will they stay in place with me moving around etc?

I've read tons of threads on them for shooting purposes and am confident I will love them when I get to.take them.to.the range.

Just needing something to wear at work and try to save my hearing. It's pretty loud and with the foamies I end up taking them out when someone is talking and I end up with only 1 ear protected for half my shift.

Thanks

I’ve got some hard hat mount peltors if you’re interested in over the ears. They have single feed comms capability as well

What Earthquake said. The no clip feature is what makes them superior in my book. Conversations etc. are clear. I originally bought them for bird hunting AZ for dove. Sometimes you hear the dove long before you see them and you must know the direction that it is coming from. Most natural sound, both quality and direction, earpro I've ever used. Buy Comply tips for them on amazon and don't look back.
I like mine so much I bought 4 more sets for the wife and my three adult kids who all shoot and hunt.

Reactions: Pilotscrappy
Which Saf-T-Ear is recommended?