• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OTTO NoizeBarrier earpro same as new Etymotic Elites....

mrtoyz

Armchair Commando
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2009
Western WA
Sorry I know we have quite a few earpro threads active right now. The post below was posted by @GearScout in another thread here and I thought it warranted its own thread.

I'm wondering if we can get anymore info about if this Otto product (link below) will indeed be the same as the Etymotic Elites when they are released. If so I'm going to jump on them. Not too interested in waiting till summer if the same product is already out under another manufacturer.

Hello gents- There seems to be a licensing deal at play between OTTO and Etymotic. I just got a set of OTTO NoizeBarrier earpro today that appear identical to the Etymotic GunSport Elite earpro I saw at NRA last year. Same rechargeable case, two modes, grills over the mics, soft touch controls on the earbuds themselves. MSRP is $380. The inside of the box actually has an Etymotic logo on it. I'm not sure how they differ from the Elites, but I wouldn't be surprised to find they are identical with the only change being the branding; OTTO may have inked a deal with Etymotic for the rights to sell into the .mil space. I've yet to shoot with them, but as soon as I do I'll get something up on RECOILweb.

Yes I would like info as well as I’m ready with money in hand to purchase ear pro and the OTTO product looks good.

Bastards! If my week slows down I’ll try and call Otto at some point and see what I can find out

Hmm.. tagging in here to keep updated. I currently use Surefire in-ear plugs (the ones rated to 31 NRR) and they work great for when I am alone at the range shooting un-braked 223 and 308, however when others are around with braked rifles the concussion is uncomfortable. In these cases I just slip a cheap pair of over-ear muffs over my plugs and all is good again, but I would like to move to a more capable ear pro system. Preferably in-ear plugs because I like their convenience when wearing eye pro and hats as I frequently shoot in cold temps.

Have been reading up about the Etymotic, 3M Peltor, and Walker's in-ear plugs and it seems the Etymotic is the most preferred choice. I would definitely be looking to get the newer model with the rechargeable batteries and charging case. Can anyone confirm that these will provide ample NRR? Do I understand it correctly that while the plugs are off, the NRR is approximately 25db, and when turned on, it will reach a max NRR of 40db during a excessive sound event?

Hmm.. tagging in here to keep updated. I currently use Surefire in-ear plugs (the ones rated to 31 NRR) and they work great for when I am alone at the range shooting un-braked 223 and 308, however when others are around with braked rifles the concussion is uncomfortable. In these cases I just slip a cheap pair of over-ear muffs over my plugs and all is good again, but I would like to move to a more capable ear pro system. Preferably in-ear plugs because I like their convenience when wearing eye pro and hats as I frequently shoot in cold temps.

Have been reading up about the Etymotic, 3M Peltor, and Walker's in-ear plugs and it seems the Etymotic is the most preferred choice. I would definitely be looking to get the newer model with the rechargeable batteries and charging case. Can anyone confirm that these will provide ample NRR? Do I understand it correctly that while the plugs are off, the NRR is approximately 25db, and when turned on, it will reach a max NRR of 40db during a excessive sound event?
That's a big yes to your last question/statement.

I too am interested in this. I have grown tired of waiting for the Etymotic Elites to hit the market. They seem to check all the boxes of what I want so if these OTTOs are the same then great.

Yes to them providing adequate ear protection for outdoor rifle ranges with multiple braked rifles nearby? Or yes to how the NRR while off/on changes?
Well...your last question specifically was about the NRR while off/on, so... ;):cool:

Found some time today to call OTTO and Etymotic. As I suspected OTTO knew nothing about where they were made or really anything about them.
I spoke with a gentleman named Rich at Etymotic and he didn’t know anything about the OTTO product either. He said to his knowledge they were not OEMing the Elites but that did not mean that it wasn’t happening. He suggested emailing their sales and marketing department. He did confirm second-quarter release.
Bummer

Yes to them providing adequate ear protection for outdoor rifle ranges with multiple braked rifles nearby? Or yes to how the NRR while off/on changes?
yes to both. I shoot PRS matches and have never had issues with multiple braked rifles on the line firing a stage of fire or firing my rifle from a tube, enclosure, SUV, etc.

yes to both. I shoot PRS matches and have never had issues with multiple braked rifles on the line firing a stage of fire or firing my rifle from a tube, enclosure, SUV, etc.

Thank you. I will definitely consider picking up a pair of these when they release the new GSE version.

They are the same. The only difference between the two is the color of the battery/charging case. The OTTO version is meant solely for the Mil/LE market and comes with a tan case.

@GearScout , any idea why Etymotic would allow Otto to release these before Etymotic does?
I would have made the assumption they would leave a feature or 2 different if they they did.
Please let us know what you think of the Otto’s!

Well, Etymotic never called back. I called Otto and no one can confirm What @GearScout said, although I have no reason to doubt him. So i ordered a pair direct from Otto. I wont post it here but know that its available, there is a FED LE and MIL discount available.

The lady i spoke with over the phone is also going to confirm for me if these are compatible with custom molded ear pieces.

Well, Etymotic never called back. I called Otto and no one can confirm What @GearScout said, although I have no reason to doubt him. So i ordered a pair direct from Otto. I wont post it here but know that its available, there is a FED LE and MIL discount available.

The lady i spoke with over the phone is also going to confirm for me if these are compatible with custom molded ear pieces.
I know for a fact that they are compatible with custom ear molds. Seen it at SHOT Show plus Etymotic works with a company that does it for them in Illinois. So any other company that does the ear molds should be able to do it too.

@GearScout , any idea why Etymotic would allow Otto to release these before Etymotic does?/QUOTE]
From what I understand, It’s actually OTTO’s product and Ety is making them as an supplier. There’s a lot of Ety DNA in them, and so I bet there’s a licensing deal that allows Ety to sell these on the commercial market instead of getting paid outright, or something. Just a guess.

Came home from a trip to find these on my desk. Really liking them. Obviously i havent shot with them yet but i wore for about an hour around the house on low and they are very comfortable. will definitely invest in custom ear molds.

Couple things right off the bat, the 40 db reduction is blast and impulse protection. using the foam inserts you get 26 db and using the 3 flange inserts you get 25 db reduction. No clue what you would get with custom molds, but id imagine it would be better than foam or at least the same.

Case is pretty solid although I think the latch is a bit weak.

230E7D02-6203-4DD2-BCF9-4FF202A4F608.jpeg

Tacticaldillhole,

I, like others I’m sure, are keen to hear your range report on these. I am keen to replace my MSA Sordin electronic Earpro with an in ear option. These will be quite expensive in australia by the time you convert the dollar and add postage so I want to make sure they are a good alternative. Your real experience v advertised specs will help inform that decision. Thanks for being a pioneer.

Tacticaldillhole,

I, like others I’m sure, are keen to hear your range report on these. I am keen to replace my MSA Sordin electronic Earpro with an in ear option. These will be quite expensive in australia by the time you convert the dollar and add postage so I want to make sure they are a good alternative. Your real experience v advertised specs will help inform that decision. Thanks for being a pioneer.
give me a good month so i can give some feedback. i have at least 2 range trips in the weeks ahead.

Cheers mate, the more range time you get under them the better your experience/view

Cheers mate, the more range time you get under them the better your experience/view

im going to try them at work as well. i work in a VERY loud environment so it will be a good test for steady state noise on the flight line.

Just ordered mine. Been waiting on the Etymotics to drop for quite a while now, and sure seems like these are the same product.

Atxhorn - would you mind sharing your experience with us?

I am waiting for the reviews too. Also, which custom ear molds would you guys go with for the Noizebarriers or GS elites (if they ever drop)?

Hey guys, I just wanted to provide a little feedback on the Otto’s. I purchased a pair of these a couple of weeks ago. I was able to use them at a Hell on Steel match at Rock Castle and was pretty impressed. They come with several sizes of ear tips, as well as a set of foam tips. I am not a huge fan of having something shoved in my ear canal, so I opted for the foam tips. I should also note, to achieve the best sound rating, you do need to use the foam tips. Anyway, they have two sound amplification settings, if you will. One will allow for the amplification of sound and the other is more pass through of “natural” sound levels. As for their sound suppression, I felt it was quite good. For comparison, I also have a pair of the Safariland DEHP-TCI’s. The performed very comparably to the Safailand’s. They are more than adequate for outdoor use with any weapon system. They were also comfortable enough that I did not experience any ear fatigue. Finally, the battery life seems quite good. I wore them for a little under six hours, and the batteries were still at 70% charge.

If you guys have specific questions, I will be happy answer what I can.

Thanks Coach,
Couple qestions:
My electronic Peltors Tacticals allow sound to be amplified yet cuts out muzzle blast while still allowing you to hear conversations very well, if that makes any sense....
How well do the Otto’s function with hearing conversations on the range while shots are going off around you? Do they require you to be in one mode or another?
Not sure how I feel about the 2 modes...

Thanks coach for sharing, so if you had to choose one set of hearing protection which would it be? Which gives you the greatest hearing protection?

Thanks heaps in advance

Thanks Coach,
Couple qestions:
My electronic Peltors Tacticals allow sound to be amplified yet cuts out muzzle blast while still allowing you to hear conversations very well, if that makes any sense....
How well do the Otto’s function with hearing conversations on the range while shots are going off around you? Do they require you to be in one mode or another?
Not sure how I feel about the 2 modes...

Both modes muffle sounds over a certain level, but you do have to select one of the two modes. The active amplification mode performs well. I was easily able to hear others on the range, while still having the active protection. Also, I should mention, it was raining during the match, and the sound of the rain did not distort the protection or amplification.

Thanks coach for sharing, so if you had to choose one set of hearing protection which would it be? Which gives you the greatest hearing protection?

Thanks heaps in advance

The “muff” style probably offers a little better overall protection, but at the cost of the bulk. At a match or range session with a limited number of shooters, I would opt for the in-ear protection like to Otto’s. If there were a lot of shooters, and a lot of sustained firing, I would prefer the “muff” style.

Reactions: IDMilton
Just got mine! I’ll try them out this weekend. Here’s some attenuation information from the packaging I didn’t see on Otto’s website, for those that are interested:

A8C9D9F0-E492-40DC-A5EB-FD25C783A650.jpeg

Sounding more like I need a set. Interested to here what you have to say about them atxhorn.

Thanks DaCoach, i predominantly shoot on a line with about 15 others on a square outdoor range. Mostly 6.5s and 308s with muzzle breaks and with a about 80 rds a comp with 2 serials of rapid fire. Thing is the baseball cap with muffs doesn’t help with sun protection, would be good to have in ear and a broad brimmed hat. Might have to save a bit of coin and get a set to try/replace my Sordins.

Well, with the caveats that I only used them for about an hour, and the nicest pair of hearing protection I’ve ever used is HL Impact Sports - I was really thrilled with these. Sound was very natural, even with a 10mph headwind, and the amplification mode was really useful for hunting and for hearing impacts on distant steel. I didn’t use indoors, but I did use on a 6.5 creedmoor with a large brake directly under a steel roof and my hearing was very comfortably protected. I only used the foam tips, which were very comfortable.

Can’t say much about the charging at this point except that it was easy and very convenient. Time will tell on that piece.

Very preliminary two thumbs up from this guy.

Tnx heaps atxhorn4425, looks like I might have to get a pair

Can anyone explain how these compare to the 3M Peltor TEP-100s? Are they better, and if so, how?

Reactions: Stoweit
finally had a chance to use mine at the range. i tried all 3 inserts and found the foam insert to be the most effective and comfortable. putting it on low during shooting worked perfect, especially if there are multiple shooters on the line and i used high during lulls or when chating. very easy button push with a tone to verify the mode. im having some custom ear molds made and will report back my thoughts once i get some time with them. So far though they work. i cant say that i am super impressed as they arent nearly as effective in sound attenuation as foam and muff method but holy crap is it more comfortable and getting a good cheek weld is so easy. definateley helps being more comfortable while shooting....and more consistent. i had them on for 6 straight hours and according to the little charging station only used 30% of battery.

Mine came in the mail somewhat recently here, and I don't have a ton more to offer, but I can say, my 1 hour of use on the range Saturday was a good experience. They perform very well, and the packaging is outstanding. I'll almost certainly get some custom custom molded inserts for these. I've been wearing muffs for a LONG time, and forgot how I don't really love having plastic in my ear canal.

Got mine. Initial thoughts:
Packaging is pretty cool
Case seems little flimsy. Wish it had a carabiner loop
Very easy to use and charge
Battery life looks to very good. Love the fact the case charges them
Very natural sounding on LO. Sound attenuation seems ok not great.
On HI sound is VERY amplified but sound attenuation is poor. Couldn’t leave them on HI for long. Could see how this could be good for hunting though.
Foam inserts worked best for me. Need to look into custom inserts. Where are you guys getting your inserts made?
My only concern so far is how well they will perform on a busy range in a conversation. Time will tell...

Got mine. Initial thoughts:
Packaging is pretty cool
Case seems little flimsy. Wish it had a carabiner loop
Very easy to use and charge
Battery life looks to very good. Love the fact the case charges them
Very natural sounding on LO. Sound attenuation seems ok not great.
On HI sound is VERY amplified but sound attenuation is poor. Couldn’t leave them on HI for long. Could see how this could be good for hunting though.
Foam inserts worked best for me. Need to look into custom inserts. Where are you guys getting your inserts made?
My only concern so far is how well they will perform on a busy range in a conversation. Time will tell...
ill report back. taking a class this weekend with 12 other shooters. you can go to anyone who makes those inerts. audiologist or even miracle ear at any sears store.

Reactions: Cody S