• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Ouch! Dropped ATACR

CATM15

You coming to the BBQ?
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2018
Welp this sucks. From what I can tell it works just fine (idk if I lost zero or if it tracks differently). Fell 3’ off my table. Wouldn’t have been bad but it was mounted on my Desert Tech (so it had a lot of weight on just the elevation cap...I’m happy all is well with the glass but.... damn.
6DC1E857-231E-4AE3-91D5-CDBCFA2F4C0F.jpeg
C3D53E17-294B-44A2-BCB8-5CD83A10DC47.jpeg
7EC703C4-BC9C-447E-87A6-AA17C5297715.jpeg
932C615E-AFBA-4C33-BA28-285387879613.jpeg
204897B5-DA4A-4392-9D2E-5886BD6A2250.jpeg

The 4-16 and 3.5-15 nighforces are insanely durable, especially that army spec 3.5-15.

I had my rifle fall off a top shelf (~6.5 ft high, I had to reach overhead to get it or set it back) and land on the optic. Confirmed zero and turret tested just to be safe immediately after and it was totally fine. This was with a 4-16.

Reactions: lawofsavage
Most of, never mind, all of my scopes I use have that.

I have had a few that stayed in boxes, projects didnt happen, and were sold as new.

Once mounted, they get carried. Not in a bag to the firing line.

Even my Weaver on my 22 has some good dings from a fall out shooting. Pinecones at 150 yds are good targets....
All still work fine.

Reactions: AMGtuned
Dang. Zooming in it mushroomed that elevation turret pretty good. At first glance it looks just like the scratches. But looking closer it took a pretty good impact.

Bet it still works and tracks great. Only one way to find out.

Yeah I’m not worried about it being internally broken but I’ll do a range test to see how it fairs. I’m all for blemishes and I usually paint all my stuff myself but I think I lost some travel because the knob isn’t straight and contacts the body’s if I go Clock wise.

It must of been a good drop to do that.

That’s the main reason I buy Nightforce scopes, robustness and reliable turrets. Have dropped and nocked mine plenty of times climbing and off the quad bike while moving and still stay on zero and tracking reliably.

Reactions: Havoc_1_Actual
I bet the scope is fine. Might as well paint it now as it just lost 3/4 of its resale value. Make it your own. Lol.

Reactions: Steel head
yikes, let us know the range report if you do test the zero. Hard to tell for me from the pics but any damage or bending to the clutch assembly?

Is that a magmount or cantilever mount from NF?

You should send it back to NF if you still have the warranty, you really mess up that scope.

Its fine man. I promise. My nxs got smashed by a fucking horse when it was in the scabbard. It smashed the sunshade part on the bell down. And i just took a pair of pliers and bent the bell back and it works just fine. Didnt hurt it at all. Didnt even send it back to nf yet and that was last hunting season. P.S. it ripped all but one scope mount screw right off the action it hit so hard.

Reactions: lawofsavage
Does NF replace the turret caps? I mean if it just hit your caps, can't you just replace them and call it good?

If it bothers you the turrets can be replaced. I doubt anything other than cosmetic damage was done to it. They whack them pretty hard at the factory when they test them before shipping.

Does NF replace the turret caps? I mean if it just hit your caps, can't you just replace them and call it good?
I’m sure they would. Sent them an email about it just to see. Not that I absolutely need it (seems to work fine).

The only thing thats going to do is make some scope snob that dusts their optics and rifle with a tampon complain that its damaged so they can lowball you.

Fuck it. Check zero. Keep going.
Spot fucking on German. Except I wouldn’t label them as snobs; they are cunts

think the other guy was correct its superficial scuffs as long as it still works your golden pony boy .

NF is as tough as nails, get the red protector caps for the turrets.

You can beat me but you can't kill me.

Spot fucking on German. Except I wouldn’t label them as snobs; they are cunts
Capital “C”

All joking aside OP, I would wager everything is still good to go as far as function goes. If you want to replace the knob I am sure NF will send you a new one.

It should be just fine.
If my old 4-12X AO Leupold can survive a tumble from an ATV at 45 mph, that NF should just shrug it off.
My rifle came off the back and flipped a number of times hitting lava rocks in the process.
It got a couple of scratches and the H-S stock got a nick or two.
It was less than 2" from zero, so I corrected it and went to kill coyotes.

Go confirm it works, get a new cap and shoot away.

Same thing happened to me with a bushy HDMR2 and it faired a lot worse than this. Sold it as damaged and got same NF 4-16 you have. These scopes are bomb proof and this just confirms... now you have what the Japanese would call Wabi...cool character marked! Drive on!!!

Reactions: Conrad101st
Yes it just a battle scar...but but we all like them nice and spotless.

Yes it just a battle scar...but but we all like them nice and spotless.
Who is we all? I like to give them a good dinger when I pull them out of the packaging just to get it out of the way. YMMV, but I called NF last year to see if they’d warranty a bent scope bell on my SHV F1 so I could still thread a sun shade into it. They were more than happy to fix it as long as I paid for it. I didn’t really expect them to warranty it, since I told them that my dumb ass dropped it on concrete. It’s permanently attatched to my night gun though, so I guess it doesn’t really make a difference to me.

Who is we all? I like to give them a good dinger when I pull them out of the packaging just to get it out of the way. YMMV, but I called NF last year to see if they’d warranty a bent scope bell on my SHV F1 so I could still thread a sun shade into it. They were more than happy to fix it as long as I paid for it. I didn’t really expect them to warranty it, since I told them that my dumb ass dropped it on concrete. It’s permanently attatched to my night gun though, so I guess it doesn’t really make a difference to me.
i know i speak for a number of people when i say i like to keep them clean, be the neck tuner at the range plus keeping them spotless gives them an after use value which makes it easier to sell and upgrade. "Wink"

All the torture test show the scopes getting their bell whacked. Let’s see how rugged they are when the turrets get whacked. We need a tall target report.