• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Out of state elk/moose/etc hunt?

jeffl838

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2013
I'm in GA and in the fall I'd like to go to shoot a moose or an elk or something - any tips? I've got the rifles/optics/fitness. Not much experience or knowledge. Any tips appreciated, will google in the meantime.

EDIT: Ideally a state where I can spot with thermal... I'd like to shoot one from far away lol.

Better plan for fall of 2021. The licensing application process and tag drawings usually take place in the spring for non-residents. I know Colorado for sure. Can’t say for other states but I assume they have a similarly structured program. The most helpful thing for me was calling the states parks and wildlife division and ask them the ins and outs of the process. Hope this helps and good luck!

You can always pony up for a land owner tag somewhere. About your only chance at this point out west as the draw is long over for decent first rifle or limited tags.

OTC bull tags in CO 2nd and 3rd seasons still available. Pick a unit on that OTC map and go for it. CO Leftover list tags are out. List is pretty small now that its been out for a week already. Cant say for other states but I bet there is still some opportunity.

colo does have a draw system but has lots of leftover tags you can buy online or out there. i've drawn twice on easy-to-draw public land units but only saw two cow elk the first year and zero elk the 2nd year. this year i'm taking the easy, but expensive, route and doing private land. of course no guarantees there either. it's not as easy as falling off a log...

I'm in GA and in the fall I'd like to go to shoot a moose or an elk or something - any tips? I've got the rifles/optics/fitness. Not much experience or knowledge. Any tips appreciated, will google in the meantime.

EDIT: Ideally a state where I can spot with thermal... I'd like to shoot one from far away lol.
Does it have to be a bull? You can get a (relatively) cheap cow elk hunt in November or December in Wyoming.
I have no idea what the regulations are for thermal spotters, but what is wrong with a spotting scope or binoculars?

I would call all the western game and fish organizations about that thermal. I am not sure if that is legal or not beyond coyotes.

If you have the cash you are better of buying a landowner validation hunt in New Mexico, Colorado or Utah. This will be about $8000-25,000. Utah has moose and elk that way, and Colorado and New Mexico have elk hunts that way. There are some OTC units in Colorado.

All WY, NM, WY, MT, AZ, UT, ID, WA, NV and OR elk and ( moose tags in MT, OR, ID, CO, UT, WY) are on a draw for non-residents.

So even if outfitted or on your own, you will have to draw a tag. Or buy a tag at an auction like Wild Sheep Foundation.

WY, MT, CO, UT, OR, WA, AZ, NV all have points programs to deal with. Since you have no points, it will be hard to draw a tag. Some units take 20 plus years worth of points to draw a tag.

NM and Idaho are the only western states that do not have points, Idaho has decent odds for their general tag, but in New Mexico odds are generally 1-5% for non-residents on elk.

The best thing you can do is join an organization like Go Hunt, and learn everything you can. Tag applications for most states start in January and finish in June. You need to build a excel spreadsheet with all the data and figure out how to make it work. You could also talk to one of the Tag Application Services like Hunting Fool and have them do the work for you.

I apply in all western states most species (sheep, goat, moose, elk, pronghorns) most years I get 2-3 tags total. I have an up front cost of about $25,000 and usually end up getting all but $2,000 back. The cost just floats on credit cards for 2-3 months until they refund it. I pay the minimums (and get incredible purchase points from Cabelas).

You could apply for every elk tag for about $8100 and probably get all but $1200 back if you didn't draw.

Last edited:
OTC in CO, ID, UT and OR.

No idea about the use of thermals though.

I did UT OTC last year on the Eastern side and had a great time just adventuring.

Pick a spot and go! Time is a-wasting...tick tock tick tock...