• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Out of the box long range rifle questions

RemXCR2009

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2009
MS
I am looking at a Savage Model: 10 FCP HS Precision and a Remington 700 5R both in 308 cal I don't know which one would be the better gun I am also open to any other rifles that would be in that price range thank you for any help

Re: Out of the box long range rifle questions

both are sub moa shooters, with the right ammo close to half moa. aside from that its personal choice...chevy v ford. this topic has been beat to death which is better. as for which other rifles would also fit..i would say if you can find a tikka master sporter that could also be added to the list

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RemXCR2009</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking at a Savage Model: 10 FCP HS Precision and a Remington 700 5R both in 308 cal I don't know which one would be the better gun I am also open to any other rifles that would be in that price range thank you for any help </div></div>

Think about why any rifle would help you get better results than something else. For example an AK-47 will always shoot a bullet in the direction the barrel is pointed; however, understanding where the barrel is pointed is difficult.

With a modern bolt action, such as those you mention, accuracy is mostly about consistent control over the rifle until the bullet has cleared the bore. That means a stock that fits you, as well as a properly bedded barreled action, a trigger you can pull smoothly, and a barrel that stays straight as it heats up.

Looking at all that's out there today, it appears, there's no shortage of good rifles; and,unless broken, any could get the job done, with, perhaps, a longer barrel model helping to get bullets nose-on to greater distance, if LR is your thing.

There are a few things that are very important to good shooting which will be supported or not be supported by a selected rifle. First is a comb which will allow for a consistent stock-weld for proper sight alignment; and second, a pull length which will support proper eye relief. Also, with the recoil of a typical .308, having a stock design which allows for recognition of exactly adjusted NPA through muscular relaxation will help you to make recoil consistent--essential for the best results.

In other words, figure out which rifle fits you best and go with that one. YOU learn and determine the rest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In other words, figure out which rifle fits you best and go with that one. YOU learn and determine the rest.</div></div>

That's about all that can be done. Yet, whether any learning takes place after the purchase depends upon the shooter perceiving that executing the firing task may not be the equivilant of actually knowing how to shoot.

I see folks bringing out their new scoped rifles to the range all the time, without a clue about how to get the job done. Usually, they shoulder the rifle without any thought about stock-weld or adjusting their NPA. They don't know about these concepts, or that they're important to good shooting. The only thing these shooters think is important is establishing a relationship between the sight and target. No problem with that other than it deceives them into believing they know where the barrel is pointed.