• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

out of the closet

sloporsche

Private
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2024
panama city beach florida
I want to up scope my old 3x9 pentax [40 years] on my 40 year old browning A bolt 300 wm that has been cased for all that time . I want to just shoot range now at 100 yard and qualify for 300 steel . I have been looking for almost a month now for i guess a unicorn ....a scope for a fudd .....a little more power [4x16 +] and 3 adjustments [ power , up/down and left/right ] . I DO NOT WANT range finder ,wifi , lit up internals ,battery powered ,level bubbles or turn signals lol. My LGS has a large selection but it seems i did not ask the right guy . It will fire factory ammo , no shooting competition and an open budget . help please

Look at the Burris RT 3-15 FFP scope with SCR2 reticle. I just picked one up to try out on a 308 Rem that I had sitting around to see if I like the SCR2 reticle since I do like the SCR I have in my Stiner. The RT has no electronics and is just plain scope by today's standards.

What's your budget? Some pretty good scopes are available starting around $500.00, but if you've got the scratch, the sky's the limit.

Your budgetary constraints would be helpful. 👍

Leupold still makes a lot of these more “hunting oriented” scopes although idk what mag range they have.

Send me $10,000 + the rifle and I'll send you back a rifle with a quality no frills scope, custom turret and Ammo all dialed in and ready to go.

SJC

Leupold still makes a lot of these more “hunting oriented” scopes although idk what mag range they have.
From the advise i have been getting i should look for a target scope ffp rather than a hunting scope ....is this right ? I am pretty sure my field hunting days are over and its just range duty , well until the zombie apocalypse comes and i gadda start dropping zekes at 500 yards lol. I have been looking for a month and its depressing how far i am out of touch ....even for a fudd

Reactions: Aftermath
The Schmidt & Bender Klassik line has some non-illuminated reticles.
You also need to figure out - MOA vs Mil, FFP vs SFP, objective size, tube size, adjustable parallax or not, etc.
Why not call Doug at CameraLandNY or the folks at EuroOptic and tell them your requirements?

The NF ATACR 4-16x42 is a great scope. It does have an illuminated reticle. But here's a secret - take the battery out and it's no longer illuminated!
NF SHV and NXS lines are also gtg.

Maybe ask on some hunting forums too? They tend to use simpler scopes. Many of the folks here want crazy reticles, massive zoom, range finders, night vision, and an espresso maker built in. Not that there's anything wrong with that. . .

it would not be used for hunting just 100/300 yard rifle range plinker
I have one on a 280Ackley. It is real slick. The stadia lines under the cross can be used to hold. Once you get the hang of it, you can couple that with zoom to find the best to hold at. I have my rifle zeroed at 275. This gives me +3 inches at about 175, nuts on at 275 and -3" at about 325. I have the lines calculated and verified at 3.5 zoom, 10 zoom and 18 zoom. Being a SFP scope, the zoom changes all the stadia line effective range except the crosshair. I have the reticle replicated on a piece of card and the yardages written to the left, middle and right...3.5, 10 and 18. It works great without much thought. Mostly I leave it on 10 and mostly I just guesstimate the range. Afterall, it's point blank to 325. But if I see a coyote or some other vermin that I really want to take a shot at, I want it to count so use the laser range finder and get a good yardage. Then I look at the card taped to the stock and see which zoom and which stadia is real close and go from there. It's very effective. I'm going to put another on a special wood stocked 30-06 I am building.

Reactions: sloporsche
The Schmidt & Bender Klassik line has some non-illuminated reticles.
You also need to figure out - MOA vs Mil, FFP vs SFP, objective size, tube size, adjustable parallax or not, etc.
Why not call Doug at CameraLandNY or the folks at EuroOptic and tell them your requirements?

The NF ATACR 4-16x42 is a great scope. It does have an illuminated reticle. But here's a secret - take the battery out and it's no longer illuminated!
NF SHV and NXS lines are also gtg.

Maybe ask on some hunting forums too? They tend to use simpler scopes. Many of the folks here want crazy reticles, massive zoom, range finders, night vision, and an espresso maker built in. Not that there's anything wrong with that. . .
Plus 2 on the call to @gr8fuldoug.

Plus 1 on the SHV. I also like the NX8 but I know some do not.

they sure have a mind numbing selection for an FNG like me

It was a joke, please don't buy Barska. They don't even handle airsoft guns.

Call Doug at cameraland. He will spend the time to walk you through dozens of brands, and his customer service is top tier.

I would encourage you to buy a smaller caliber rifle, front focal plane mill reticle scope and learn to use a ballistic calculator. It's a lot of fun getting hits at 1000+. It's even more fun doing it with a suppressed 223 that has no recoil and little noise.

• Wow
Thread title had me…

300WM is a little overkill for “plinking” at those distances

May be better off leaving it alone and sinking the money into something like a 22 or a 223 even if all your doing is shooting at 100-300 yards.

Thread title had me…

300WM is a little overkill for “plinking” at those distances

May be better off leaving it alone and sinking the money into something like a 22 or a 223 even if all your doing is shooting at 100-300 yards.
I do not hunt anymore [mostly out of state when i did ] and the weapon spent just about its whole life in a not too friendly firearm state [nj] . Now that we moved to florida where ranges are very common i want to get some use out of it even if its just plinking /banging steel plates. The issue i think was the see through scope mounts and my old age eye sight . I replaced the mounts with normal low risers ,got some hornady match ammo and i am working up to 100 yard zeroing . Due to the vast number of types of scopes i will get by with the pentax unless i struggle at 300 yard . I burned through 40 plus rounds of hunting ammo a few weeks back even some fire breath sonic boomer 220 gr elk killer stuff ....its worth the punishment when it draws the lil .22 crowd in awe over the muzzle blast at the range .

I do not hunt anymore [mostly out of state when i did ] and the weapon spent just about its whole life in a not too friendly firearm state [nj] . Now that we moved to florida where ranges are very common i want to get some use out of it even if its just plinking /banging steel plates. The issue i think was the see through scope mounts and my old age eye sight . I replaced the mounts with normal low risers ,got some hornady match ammo and i am working up to 100 yard zeroing . Due to the vast number of types of scopes i will get by with the pentax unless i struggle at 300 yard . I burned through 40 plus rounds of hunting ammo a few weeks back even some fire breath sonic boomer 220 gr elk killer stuff ....its worth the punishment when it draws the lil .22 crowd in awe over the muzzle blast at the range .
You’ll cook that barrel real fast like that and may even develop a flinch

YMMV but wrong tool for the wrong job

Barska recently won the Top 7 positions at USASOC.

Accept no substitute.
Dem studs probably “willed” the bullet to the bullseye anyway.

Us normies would be better off with the most expensive scope to compensate

• Love
Reactions: TheHorta
You’ll cook that barrel real fast like that and may even develop a flinch

YMMV but wrong tool for the wrong job
It was not rapid fire , the weapon was gently [pun] broke in during the 1980's , during cool down i was running 2 AK 's to break in their barrels 60 rounds each ....i have some trigger time . The bottom line is i have a place to shoot unlike new joisey so they are comin out of da closet and gonna dive into the deep stack of ammo . I also have SW 340 PD in 357 my max one day was 20 rounds was all my body could take ....that snubski will give ya brain damage , the M29 4 inch is a pleasure to shoot compared to the 340 CC