• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Outdoor Life 1,000yd Rifle 6mm Creedmoor

JCH

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
I don't subscribe to Outdoor Life but my F-I-L gave me this month's (Aug 2011) edition because it had an article about 1,000 yard shooting.

After reading the article I have a few thoughts.

Why? Seems like the 6CM isn't any better than a 6x47L or even a 243Win (only upside I can see is that the 6CM has the ability to seat bullets out a little farther.) The author is only getting 2950 with a 105amax. That speed is more than capapble with the 6x47L and even more so with the 243 win.

It seems that some people just want to be different for the sake of being different.

Also in the article note that GAP built the rifle on a Sako 85 action and Dimensions did the custom paint on the rifle.

Would like to hear what other people think, especially those that have or are playing with the idea of the 6CM.

Re: Outdoor Life 1,000yd Rifle 6mm Creedmoor

The 6.5 CM was made to feed in gas guns and still fit mag length while getting decent ballistics. I am sure it is the same story here. While I realize it is a bolt gun, the original cartridge was designed to do well in gassers. Get the 6x47 to feed or the 243 to fit mag length without severely decreasing powder space and increasing pressure and then there would be no need.

Josh

Hornady brass is very good and made domestically over the 6-6.5x47 Lapua. There isn't the hassle of an importer to go through.

The case design is superior to the 243 at the neck/shoulder area.

Ballistic twins...

The 6mm Super LR would be another to toss in that heap. Case capacity of the 243, shoulder/neck design of the 6 BR, Lapua, Norma, Nosler, Winchester brass is available for 243 and it is 1 pass through a sizing die...

I've had several 6.5 CM's and I really liked them. I never had an issue with brass. Load work up was a cinch.

I just think sometimes we get to a point where enough is enough and the hoops we jump through to get a small advantage isn't worth it (if there is any advantage at all)

I have been shooting 6.5 Creedmoor for awhile now and thought about playing with necking it down to 6mm. It would be something I did more for shits and grins than anything else. Its always fun to have something to tinker with when your in the mood.

I've really been enjoying 6.5 Creedmoor and I look forward to see what they are doing with 6 Creedmoor.

If nothing else, the rifle in the magazine was pretty.

I, too, think there are other options out there for the same function, but from the perspective of making people aware of some of the options out there, I thought it was a fine article.

Led to some great discussion with my grandfather who was not very familiar with some of the more recent cartridges.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattsnuked</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Basically it's a 6XC. </div></div>

Yeah but with more affordable brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It seems that some people just want to be different for the sake of being different. </div></div>

I couldn't agree more. I see no advantage whatsoever in a bolt rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shiredude</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It seems that some people just want to be different for the sake of being different. </div></div>

I couldn't agree more. I see no advantage whatsoever in a bolt rifle.</div></div>

Could say that about alot of cartridges.

Saw it and thought "Hmmmm, I'm getting those same velocities out of my 6x47L, only with 7 grains less powder and a 23" barrel". I think I'll stay right where I am.

That is interesting, I'm getting 2960 out of my 6BR with a 108 Berger, 30.2gr of 2208 and a 22.5" barrel. The CM would no doubt be easier to get to feed properly from a mag though.

Just to clarify do you mean 6.5 Creedmoor or necked down "6"?

For 6.5 Creedmoor, I think there is something to be said about being about to purchase quality match grade ammo that is fairly reasonably priced. Plus, losing expensive Lapua brass in a match hurts.

Not sure what he means. The 6CM as I know it is the 6mm Competition Match as created by Joe Hendrix. It pre-dates the 6.5 Creedmoor by about 4 years.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure what he means. The 6CM as I know it is the 6mm Competition Match as created by Joe Hendrix. It pre-dates the 6.5 Creedmoor by about 4 years. </div></div>

Is that something that grew out of the 6 Swiss Match?

The author of the article is using a 6.5 CM necked down to 6mm. He got the reamer from PTG and sent it to GAP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No - it is a 243 Improved variant.</div></div>
Yup my team mates Tony and Kevin run them. They fireform from .243 brass. Here's something Kevin wrote on it
http://www.teamblaster.net/reviews/6CM.pdf

I went through this a month or so ago, even have a thread on it. In conclusion- there are a TON of 6mm options out there, and all have their pluses and minuses. For me, .243 was the winner because of case availability.

His load must have been real mild.

Stay tuned for an article I have coming out in Shooting Times - it will be groundbreaking. I take a 243 Win case and neck it up to 30 caliber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stay tuned for an article I have coming out in Shooting Times - it will be groundbreaking. I take a 243 Win case and neck it up to 30 caliber. </div></div>

Genius!

You'd get a better BC if you necked the .243 up to a 7mm....oh wait someone might have done that already.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stay tuned for an article I have coming out in Shooting Times - it will be groundbreaking. I take a 243 Win case and neck it up to 30 caliber. </div></div>
What cha gunna callit?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFComfort</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattsnuked</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Basically it's a 6XC. </div></div>

Yeah but with more affordable brass. </div></div>

Huh? since when is 22-250 win brass more expensive than .243 win brass?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tunanut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stay tuned for an article I have coming out in Shooting Times - it will be groundbreaking. I take a 243 Win case and neck it up to 30 caliber. </div></div>
What cha gunna callit? </div></div>

How about the .300 Rainbow? Because the arc to 1k is like a rainbow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tunanut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stay tuned for an article I have coming out in Shooting Times - it will be groundbreaking. I take a 243 Win case and neck it up to 30 caliber. </div></div>
What cha gunna callit? </div></div>

The 300 Richard Noggin.

The 6x, 6xc, 240nmc, 6.5x47 and other high tech cartridges were not made to increase velocity over the 243Win or 6.5x284 class of cartridges. They were made to get as close to the 243Win performance and not burn barrels out as fast. David Tubb has written extensively about this.

In a normal season, the top shooters in the US High Power game will fire about 2500-3000 rounds before Perry in practice. The 243Win was eating barrels at 2,000 shots right before the National Championships. If you have been working up data all season only to have your primary barrel go wild on you a week before Perry, your chances of winning the big one dropped significantly.

The answer was and is slightly more efficient cartridges. They can extend barrel life by about 500-1500 rounds, allowing competitors to use the same barrel/loads through mid-late July. It's all part of the strategy of winning at Perry and very little to do with the last few FPS increase.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Dave Funk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 6x, 6xc, 240nmc, 6.5x47 and other high tech cartridges were not made to increase velocity over the 243Win or 6.5x284 class of cartridges. They were made to get as close to the 243Win performance and not burn barrels out as fast. David Tubb has written extensively about this.

In a normal season, the top shooters in the US High Power game will fire about 2500-3000 rounds before Perry in practice. The 243Win was eating barrels at 2,000 shots right before the National Championships. If you have been working up data all season only to have your primary barrel go wild on you a week before Perry, your chances of winning the big one dropped significantly.

The answer was and is slightly more efficient cartridges. They can extend barrel life by about 500-1500 rounds, allowing competitors to use the same barrel/loads through mid-late July. It's all part of the strategy of winning at Perry and very little to do with the last few FPS increase.
</div></div>

Good bye for posting such a nasty pic and the pic subject itself