• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

outdoor security cameras

myronman3

deez nuts
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2017
Ft. Benning School for Wayward Boys
So the GF wants an outdoor camera system to watch her place. Also wants a camera to watch her hog birthing stall that is about 100 yards from the house.

I’ve been looking online at the camera systems....then i figured i should come here and inquire to see what folks have and/or what they’d suggest. 200-300 budget

Hi,

Slightly over your budget but they are all wireless (usb rechargeable) with voice, motion, etc etc and she can view everything from her phone.

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: Inifinty
For security cameras I’d only go wireless when there is no other option to run em wired. THEIS linked a good set. Thing with wireless cameras is that they can be glitchy. With any kind of interference going mileage will vary.

Wired analog are in the price range but 100 yards is stretching the distance a bit. It might work depending on the brand chosen. Alternatively If there is power near where the pig is then you can probably overcome the distance by powering the camera in that location and back hauling the video feed back the house.

Digital PoE (power over Ethernet) systems can go 2 to 300 yards but are going to cost more.

Reactions: Ravenworks
Nest outdoor. I run 6 of them in our calving barn. As long as you have plenty of internet they work great. Best place I’ve found to purchase is Amazon, 2 for $250 iirc

Hikvision is my preference on cameras, many camera options. Many NVR options. The Dark fighter cameras are awesome at night. No proprietary challenges like with the Lorax cameras or security breeches that Ring has had.

I have 4k lorex. They’ve been great. Bought an expandable bundle from b&h photo. Easy to set up and run the wires(comes with them).

I've used Swann cameras for the past 7 or so years. You can pickup their WiFi models and not have to worry about a DVR. My only concern with your application, would be material your barn is. At 100y, if it is metal, you may be hard pressed to get WiFi to make it back to your house.

This is what I use. Costco occasionally has deals on them if you are a member.

Needs to be within wifi range, and it would be beneficial to mount them close to a power source and keep them plugged in so you don't have to be charging them all the time. App is easy to use, and it's easy to change settings and setup "rules" depending on your needs. The NV works good, as does the motion detection but it does occasionally miss things.

The new Arlo Ultra cameras look really good. I may have to upgrade some of my cameras to the Ultras. 4K resolution, enhanced NV (whatever that means), spot light, etc.

If they're wired analog, an LNA can be sued to boost the signal for an extra long run...

I suggest you can go for Bullet IP Cameras for Outdoor. IP cameras work by both power and data down Ethernet cables. You only need one Ethernet cable.

Many people ask if there is a need for NVR to run an IP camera system. No, IP cameras can work without an NVR. You can have internal card storage.

And if you talk about reliability I prefer the Hikvision brand to people. As a Salesperson and managing the sales team and technicians team, Hikvision cameras are dependable and trustworthy in terms of complaints & customer satisfaction. You can consider the Arlo brand also which is also good but I like Hikvision cameras most. You can look around for discounts and sales offers also. I do when I'm low on my pocket budget. I personally use sites like reecoupons , couponcause, and promocodes regularly for discounts.

For indoors you can check Dome Hikvision cameras.

Reactions: missed
Used the search engine and came up with this most recent thread.

Lots of good info, just starting to do more research on this.

Looking for outdoor cameras:
Battery operated , wireless wifi
No monthly subscription
6 cameras needed
Able to see motion alerts via phone
Human ID and vehicle ID preferred
At least 1080p, 2k or 4k preferably
Recorded only when activated
Wifi generated from the base inside house I do not have internet running in my house and don't want to have any

I did see the Lorex suggested by @THEIS and the Arlo by others.

Also saw Eufy cameras but not mentioned here.

Just trying to get more up to date options since this thread came out.

Budget $1k

Hi,

Slightly over your budget but they are all wireless (usb rechargeable) with voice, motion, etc etc and she can view everything from her phone.

Sincerely,
Theis
I had this is my office once, bought from Costco. It was a PITA

I have 2 of these systems: street price: $500

They record 24/7, you get about 2-3 weeks of continuous recording. 4K shows real good detail, blades of grass at distance. You can upgrade the hard drive yourself to go from 2tb to 10tb, but realistically, unless you own a property elsewhere, unlikely you go that 6 weeks back.

Free android/iPhone app, windows client. Units are wired, works without cloud storage. Running wires can be a pain. I used mine yesterday afternoon to track down a critter in my barn.

Able to see motion alerts via phone
I don't think you're going to get a standard off the shelf model that does this without internet access. If the idea is that you can use it on your own intranet any app that is on your phone is going to require actual internet access unless you build a custom system.

IMO the Lorex hits the most of what you want. Do not get the Arlo if you are serious about the no internet, the system will just not work as it requires a phone and internet to set up each camera.

You couldn’t make me buy a wireless camera system. Would only take me a few minutes to interrupt your signal with a Pineapple

You couldn’t make me buy a wireless camera system. Would only take me a few minutes to interrupt your signal with a Pineapple

Technically challenged here. What does that do?

Got mine sitting behind me in the bookcase. :cool: Every morning I get up and look myself in the mirror and say 'I choose to be nice, I don't have to be nice'

Reactions: gimpy
If you can get WiFi to the area I can not suggest Wyze cameras more highly. They are cheap, they work, you can do cloud storage or local.

you can get powered units that run off usb cables. I have a couple like this and what I did was put in a light socket USB adapter to plug them into my spot lights.
They also have rechargeable units I have a couple of those and fully charged I’m getting like 2 months between charges.

they also have a pan and tilt model that tracks movement.

there new cameras provide color at night
This is 4am
0275F37D-0580-4F78-957E-7EB846B948B7.png

If you are truly concerned about security, stay the hell away from wireless. They can be hacked, disabled, people can see what you see.

Stay away from the cheap crap that is sold at places like Costo. Need I tell you where they are made?

I am sure there are other good systems out there but the Onix product line is what the Sheriff, Prison system and County people have settled on around here. There systems were being hacked and so they went the the Onix. No I am not an expert on security systems but the owner, and freind, of an electronics parts store in my area sells and installs security systems and he gave the the whole run down on various mfr.s and told me horror stories of the security issues with the Costo crap. Guess a few of the companies were sued. (I remember he mentioned Lorex as being one of the worst)

I have had my Onix system for going on a 4 years now. I installed it myself, built my own cat iv cables, ran the wire. It's not that difficult to do. The worst part was working in the crawl space. Yeah the Onix is more expensive, takes more time to put up and probably way more then what you need, but it seems pointless to put up a security system that is not secure and unreliable.