• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Outfitting a Geissele SD 14.5

JLTX

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2020
North Texas
My budget dollars in firearms has never ran to a 5.56/.223 ar15 rifle. I purchased one today, Geissele SD 14.5”. I would love to seek the forum’s guidance in re to scope and silencer. Points to note (thank you!):

-I will use this for home/property defense (hopefully not), hog eradication and plinking. This is a defense backup to various Benelli M2/M4, Seekins SP10 and HK handguns.
-I am looking for great track record optics that are idiot proof. No China please.
-No pref on lpvo vs red dot, et all. I want a balanced rifle that can offer me forgiving eye relief and fov.
-I have 5 TBAC cans on bolt action (4) and ar10 (Seekins). No idea on what is a solid .556 can?
-There is a hard mounted Surefire brake on the Geissele that extends it to 16”. Any guidance on removal for a system that will accommodate a can?
-Quite a bit of BlackHills 77g at the house, other factory ammo that you would rec?

My apologies for the numerous questions! Thank you in advance for your guidance,

JL

Last edited:
I really like this scope. I put a Yoter-C in front for hog hunting at dusk/night.
Made in Japan w/ Jap glass. The reticle is daylight bright and has a tree. Zero stop, etc. One just sold for $910 in the PX which is a great deal. They have .gov discount also. Only con is the weight but built bomb proof it seems.

Reactions: Jsp556
Stupid question but is it a SOCOM muzzle brake that is permanently attached? If so, all you need is a Suerfire can.

Pic for reference:

523_source_1619646517-1000x1000.jpg

Or is it this one?:
PROCOMP-556-1-2-28-isoL__54618.1566939560.1280.1280-1000x1000.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately not, it is a Surefire closed tine flash hider. I believe that I will have to find a smith to “gently” take this off.

That will also accommodate any of the SOCOM suppressors.

Reactions: JLTX
I'd agree with what's already been posted above.

If you'll be buying a can specifically for that rifle, a Surefire RC2 or Mini RC2 will mount to the muzzle device Geissele has pinned, and they are excellent suppressors.

For Home defense, plinking, and the occasional pic, an Aimpoint with or without a magnifier is an perfect optics choice, especially if HD is your main priority for the rifle.

Also, get a quality weaponlight, and a good 2-point sling. Cloud defensive would be my choice for a light, but there are plenty of solid options, including Surefire, Streamlight, etc.

Since you are shopping a 5.56 can leave the flashhider as is and just get a Surefire RC2 for the end of it.

With that length and wanting to use it for Hogs I would go for an LPVO. Vortex Razor, Nightforce ATACR or Kahles are my preferences. I would throw a light on there as well. I prefer a modlight head, on a reptilia corp body with a Unity MLok hot button.

Maybe offset irons or reddot if that is your jam.

If you do go for a red dot/magnifier, I'd look at getting a 5x (Eotech) or a 6x (Aimpoint), rather than a 3x.

My budget dollars in firearms has never ran to a 5.56/.223 ar15 rifle. I purchased one today, Geissele SD 14.5”. I would love to seek the forum’s guidance in re to scope and silencer. Points to note (thank you!):

-I will use this for home/property defense (hopefully not), hog eradication and plinking. This is a defense backup to various Benelli M2/M4, Seekins SP10 and HK handguns.
-I am looking for great track record optics that are idiot proof. No China please.
-No pref on lpvo vs red dot, et all. I want a balanced rifle that can offer me forgiving eye relief and fov.
-I have 5 TBAC cans on bolt action (4) and ar10 (Seekins). No idea on what is a solid .556 can?
-There is a hard mounted Surefire brake on the Geissele that extends it to 16”. Any guidance on removal for a system that will accommodate a can?
-Quite a bit of BlackHills 77g at the house, other factory ammo that you would rec?

My apologies for the numerous questions! Thank you in advance for your guidance,

JL

I put a RC2 on it and my buddy has a SB2. Part of the reason I bought the Geissele was because I was buying some surefire cans. The surefire cans are very durable, good flash reduction and decent sound reduction. They are not the best of the best but they are good and can be had for $850 if you're patient.

If I had to do it allover again...get a titanium suppressor from a reputable company like TBAC...CGS has one as well thats supposed to be really good but I don't have it (I do have the dominus SR).

If TBAC is too expensive....drop $250 on a 50% off cert that you'll see on the px and it makes it hurt less (comes with a mount as well).

Last edited:
I put a RC2 on it and my buddy has a SB2. Part of the reason I bought the Geissele was because I was buying some surefire cans. The surefire cans are very durable, good flash reduction and decent sound reduction. They are not the best of the best but they are good and can be had for $850 if you're patient.

If I had to do it allover again...get a titanium suppressor from a reputable company like TBAC...CGS has one as well thats supposed to be really good but I don't have it (I do have the dominus SR).

If TBAC is too expensive....drop $250 on a 50% off cert that you'll see on the px and it makes it hurt less (comes with a mount as well).
Could you tell much difference between the RC2 and the SB2?

JL
1) I would mount a white light
2) I would attach a sling, one or two point
3) If shooting with NV, I would get a MAWL or DBAL
4) I would shoot it with whatever Surefire can you pick and then possible monkey with the buffer if the ejections are too aggressive
5) I would get the EOTECH EXPS 3 with two or three dots and a magnifier (this model because it is NV compatible)
6) I would mount the EOTECH and Magnifier on a Unity Tactical riser (or aimpoint or whatever you pick).
7) I am not sure what furniture they come with me but I am partial to the B5 stock and grip.
8) I would rattle can it because all the different colors aggravate me.

On the suppressor, I would consider the .30cal version from Surefire because you can use it on more stuff and the sound difference is minimal.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie and JLTX
Could you tell much difference between the RC2 and the SB2?

Not much, I think they are essentially the same can except the SB2 is bored out more (probably why they suggest it for short barrels). I want to say the RC2 might have a been slightly more quiet but I don't have numbers to back that up.

Edit:
Trying a mini on the 14.5 would be interesting.

Not much, I think they are essentially the same can except the SB2 is bored out more (probably why they suggest it for short barrels). I want to say the RC2 might have a been slightly more quiet but I don't have numbers to back that up.

Edit:
Trying a mini on the 14.5 would be interesting.
Thanks for the info. I’ve got a SB2 and a RC2 in jail right now. LGS only had SB2’s in stock a couple months ago so I rolled with that, then they got some FDE RC2’s in and I decided why not on that too. Lol

Thanks for the info. I’ve got a SB2 and a RC2 in jail right now. LGS only had SB2’s in stock a couple months ago so I rolled with that, then they got some FDE RC2’s in and I decided why not on that too. Lol

Yea, there for awhile the RC2s couldn't be had at all, then big tex got an order in and I grabbed two of them. You should be fine with either especially if you run 11" and above.

On the suppressor, I would consider the .30cal version from Surefire because you can use it on more stuff and the sound difference is minimal.
I have a SOCOM 300 SPS exactly for that purpose!

JL
best lpvo under 1k is the burris rt6, not even debatable.
go with a dead air brake and can for the AR

I’m sure in your world the rt6 craps on the swfa 1-6.. razor 1-6, Steiner 1-4, Burris 1-5, trijicon credo 1-6, bushnell 1-6.5.. heck even the pst2 1-6, accupoint 1-4 and 1-6.

But I’ll trade you every rt6 I can get my hand on for one of the above. Has nothing to do with price.

Pretty hard to beat the vortex offering when going through liberty.

I’d make sure it works first, before I put any more money into it.
I went w a buddy who brought 3 ar15s (Sig M400/DD M4A1 SOCOM/FN TAC15) this AM to the range. The Geissele that I purchased was flawless with zero errors using BH 556 77g (100rds) and cheap Lapua 223 55g (100rds). First time shooting at length an ar15. Very soft recoil and incredibly easy to bring back to target. The Geissele was notably softer than my buddies’ rifles. He had an Aimpoint Pro on his DD which was wonderful. I did not care for the Romeo (?) on his Sig. I mag dumped a 30 rd wo issue w both 223 and 556. Very dirty when I cleaned it after. Happy w purchase and I will use your feedback when outfitting w scope and can in the near future.

Thank you!

Razor 1-6 is really the best bang for the buck LPVO to get something worth a fuck and it’s excellent. The Steiner wasn’t bad when you could get them new for $500 and less but for what they run now, fuck that. The Burris is trash like most of their optics.

100% this.

Reactions: 1911hombre
one thing i like with the bushy 1-6.5 over the razor E i have is the weight penalty.. it's a 1/4 lighter and reticle not on illumination is still very good. and the turrets are better.

that said ones 500$ and the other is a 1000 so i'm probably biased to the compromises on the cheapy optic.

one thing i like with the bushy 1-6.5 over the razor E i have is the weight penalty.. it's a 1/4 lighter and reticle not on illumination is still very good. and the turrets are better.

that said ones 500$ and the other is a 1000 so i'm probably biased to the compromises on the cheapy optic.

If you got them for $500 that’s a deal but new retail they were only a couple hundred less than the razor at street price, not $500.

They aren’t bad optics, but they aren’t built like that Razor 1-6. Those things are tough as fuck.

ETA: sorry for the below redundancy- I just saw that you already mentioned no Chicom products in your OP.

Avoid any shooting optics or gear made in China.

Last edited:
I’m sure in your world the rt6 craps on the swfa 1-6.. razor 1-6, Steiner 1-4, Burris 1-5, trijicon credo 1-6, bushnell 1-6.5.. heck even the pst2 1-6, accupoint 1-4 and 1-6.

But I’ll trade you every rt6 I can get my hand on for one of the above. Has nothing to do with price.
not even close, had the swfa, razor is over 1k, trijicon sucks, bushnell sent back.

not even close

These will more than likely be used but if you can find one, XTR 2 1-8x24. These are from Japan and came in SFP and FFP versions.

I have a Geissele 14.5 upper as well, came with the Surefire 4P and has a SOCOM 5.56 mini on it. Mini because suppressing 5.56 is like cuddling with a hooker. Kinda pointless, the rounds gonna be loud AF no matter what, so I went shorter and it still makes it quiet enough. Obviously Surefire is more about the total signature reduction in terms of noise, directionality of the noise, flash, etc. There's other cans that are better at one specific thing, but for 13 years Surefire has been my go-to for an all around great can/mount.

As far as LPVOs go, I haven't been able to beat the Nightforce NX8 1-8 C599 in a Badger COMM 1.7" mount. For me this combo is red-dot-quick, and also usable at range. I know, I know, eye box and FOV and blah blah. The Razor 1-10 is better at being a scope at distance, but it's also much larger and much heavier. No free lunch.
52143258738_66e7fd7a79_b.jpg

Reactions: JLTX and Tx_Aggie

JL
As for your scope, the words “budget” and “not-MIC” don’t really go together. If you want American, the cheapest option is the EOTech XPS2 or EXPS2 (non-magnified) or HHS II (w/3x magnifier). Or LPVO the Vortex Razor 1-10.

Suppressor, either the Otter Creek Labs Polonium, or the new Dead Air Sierra 5. Both are hard-use duty-rated dedicated 5.56 cans, and can accept any HUB (1.375x24) mounting system. 👍🏼 The Otter Creek Polonium just beat every 5.56 can at the muzzle on the PEW Science charts, and is only $550 MSRP. @AndrewKing is the owner of Otter Creek Labs. He’s a good dude.

As for your scope, the words “budget” and “not-MIC” don’t really go together. If you want American, the cheapest option is the EOTech XPS2 or EXPS2 (non-magnified) or HHS II (w/3x magnifier). Or LPVO the Vortex Razor 1-10.

Suppressor, either the Otter Creek Labs Polonium, or the new Dead Air Sierra 5. Both are hard-use duty-rated dedicated 5.56 cans, and can accept any HUB (1.375x24) mounting system. 👍🏼 The Otter Creek Polonium just beat every 5.56 can at the muzzle on the PEW Science charts, and is only $550 MSRP. @AndrewKing is the owner of Otter Creek Labs. He’s a good dude.
Many thanks for the information!

Reactions: FuhQ
Went with a Surefire Socom Mini, currently in jail. Did an Aimpoint Micro T-2 w Spuhr mount. Will revisit magnifiers to add at some point in the future. In re to lpvo suggestions, thank you! I rethought the purpose for the rifle and went with a red-dot. Btw, my SP10 (.308) w an ATACR 4-16x42 mows down feral hogs, no need to change to a weaker caliber🤣.

Thank you to all who shared their expertise with me!