• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Outlier Barrel: A review of the Company & Barrel

D̷e̷v̷i̷l̷D̷o̷c̷A̷Z̷

Banned x2 🤪
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2014
Yuma, AZ
***I paid for my optic and got a free barrel, that’s the extent of my relationship with Outlier***

I finally got my Outlier barrel, below is my personal experience, yours may vary.

6941D38C-6058-4BF5-A8A6-23A21C64F50E.jpeg

Let me start by saying it wasn’t fast, it wasn’t easy but when all the dust settled I am very impressed with the barrel and even more impressed with the customer service.

Like many who have an outlier barrel I got mine free99 with the purchase of an optic. The choices were limited so I went with everybody’s favorite cartridge to hate, the 6.5CM and at 1.2” straight taper I went 16”

My initial barrel didn’t even arrive, rather I got an email letting me know it didn’t pass QC. No problem, I didn’t mind the wait because they shipped my optic fast and it’s a free barrel.

A few weeks later I received my barrel. I had read some good reviews, some not so good reviews but whatever, I was excited.

The barrel didn’t disappoint in the “looks good” department. While others may not like the single pass texture on the barrel I actually like it. I didn’t spring for the nitride finish nor the flutes. I just wanted the free99 barrel.

Eager to get the rifle ready for its first range day I installed it on a Defiance action, or I attempted to. Unfortunately there were lessons to be learned. I had ordered the R700 threads and just inferred that it would fit. Why wouldn’t it? My PVA barrel fit so this should too……well it didn’t fit. Try as I might I couldn’t get it to headspace. So I sent an email to Outlier and I waited…and waited…and waited a little more. A few days passed and I figured I would check my email. Nothing. Well guess what, they never did email. One day I decided to use my phone like an actual phone and I noticed I had missed a call several days ago, I even had a VM…strange…who leaves a VM? Turns out someone from Outlier had taken the time to call and help me sort out my troubles.

I’ve had some pretty good customer service experiences in the pew pew arena, Outlier was second to none.

I called the missed number and immediately got a person, no phone tree, no “press 1 for English” just a real person. Turns out the guy called from his personal number and said to call that number back.

After some questioning it seemed we had the problem sorted out. The Defiance action has different tolerances and the decision was made the barrel would need some finesse. Outlier sent me a pre paid postage and off it went. Just a few days later I was texting Outlier (the personal cell) and everything had been sorted out and the barrel was on the way home.

The barrel arrived quickly, it maybe took 4 days from the time it left me until it returned.

The machine work was great, I was able to headspace the barrel and I was ready to roll!

This barrel is a chonk for sure. If you think m24 is a truck axle, you don’t know truck axles. This barrel, she’s a proper truck axle. The Bravo chassis almost couldn’t handle her….almost. The barrel nut was close but daylight managed to squeeze through.
7B12FBCB-B51A-488B-BD02-2157078FFA52.jpeg

63C8D863-2FE7-46BB-A5A5-F7216B83397D.jpeg

Now this particular setup isn’t new. It’s been wearing a PVA pre fit and the consensus is clear, Josh builds a fine barrel and mine is no exception. I routinely shoot that barrel 0.25” or better (5 shot groups) so the platform is proven. If the Outlier barrel can’t shoot, it’s the barrel maybe the ammo but it’s not the other parts.

So today was the day, the Outlier shakedown.
C7B464B9-A085-4677-80C6-C5D1AC334E93.jpeg

Like all free99 barrels it got only the finest break in, just like all my other rifles….I just shot the phucker. 12 rounds down the pipe, not too fast, definitely not slow. Zero cleaning. Zero fuss. Don’t like my methods…..good, cause I don’t like yours.

All warmed up and ready it was time to shoot for groups. I didn’t get a perfect zero but I wasn’t worried and I was expecting some POI shift as I wanted to test all my 6.5 factory ammo.

All groups were 5 shots @ 100yds

I was testing the following:

130 Berger: 0.522”

135 Berger: 0.954”

140 Berger: 0.782”

156 Berger: 1.2-1.5”

120 A-Max: 1.290”

140 A-Max: 0.315”

140 ELD: 0.883”

130 Prime: 0.551”

Here are my results:

311890C4-FFD0-494F-B3AB-17009AC7BC52.jpeg

66ED3073-4EAF-4040-AF67-F05B2FC5FB21.jpeg

5D50C0CD-C3F6-4957-9953-CF279D2F7771.jpeg

61929324-561D-4787-B049-B24015395F48.jpeg

Try as I might I could not get the 156 to shoot. Maybe it’s not enough twist?

35A8E7DA-4167-40A1-AC2C-D610223B504B.jpeg

CD1E14C7-F51C-4FB8-8A3E-FF7D00BB646A.jpeg

D81A6CBD-1129-4501-877A-60B7346CBD9B.jpeg

the group to the far right isn’t my group. A guy at the range wanted to try and all he did was waste my ammo 😕
A877F015-2029-40F1-B0AB-A73F37C2102C.jpeg

My final thoughts:

Outlier claims sub MOA and I would consider all this ammo to well accepted as match Ammo. With the exception of Berger 156 and A-Max 120 Outlier held the standard. I’m not sure why it didn’t shoot the 120 melty boys or the 156 Boogers tighter.

I’m very happy with my barrel and the options I selected. If it arrived and fit perfectly from the start I would have written my little review to help others and I would have been happy.

However it didn’t fit, and I’m kinda glad it didn’t. I had the opportunity to really experience what Outlier was really about, and I’ll tell you right now they are about The Golden Rule. From the moment they knew I was having an issue they did everything to help, including a video call to ensure they understood the problem. They didn’t tell me to pound sand, they didn’t create excuses, they didn’t lecture me how a Defiance isn’t a R700. They just asked questions and took care of me…..on a FREE99 barrel. To say I was impressed is an understatement, & to top it off, the barrel shoots as promised.

I wanted to do something to express my satisfaction and that’s why I’m doing this write up.

Hope it helps or just pisses you off.

*special thanks to @Glassaholic for what I consider to be the BEST load development targets. https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/load-development-targets-feedback-wanted.6876258/

Buy More Ammo!

Last edited:
What twist rate?

A 1-8” might be on the struggle bus stabilizing those 156gr Berger pills.

I had a similar experience with outlier, first barrel didn’t pass qc so they were getting new reamers and building new barrels. They were responsive with there emails and I missed some of there phone calls.
I finally got my barrel yesterday and was happy with the finish on the barrel. The coating looked very good, threads were very clean and they even threw in one of there muzzle brakes. I didn’t order one.
I haven’t headspaced the barrel yet and am waiting on the correct bolt head for my origin action.
IMG_0621.jpeg
IMG_0620.jpeg

I had a similar experience with outlier, first barrel didn’t pass qc so they were getting new reamers and building new barrels. They were responsive with there emails and I missed some of there phone calls.
I finally got my barrel yesterday and was happy with the finish on the barrel. The coating looked very good, threads were very clean and they even threw in one of there muzzle brakes. I didn’t order one.
I haven’t headspaced the barrel yet and am waiting on the correct bolt head for my origin action.
View attachment 8280831View attachment 8280832
Looks good!

Curious what kind of groups you get!

Reactions: Mooseknuckles
Thanks. I happy with how it turned out but man is it a tank.

Curious on grouping as well. I’m going to try some 136 lapua’s and 130 eldm. Hoping to run around 2600-2650.

Did you happen to chrono the loads you shot?

Agreed 100% she’s NOT a lightweight build.

I put 107 rounds down range then got some chrono numbers. So far only 131 rounds sent. Not sure if this will change.

Below is my chrono data along with 3 groups for each that day.

I think you should easily hit those numbers, especially when you load your own.

140 melty boy A-max
Avg: 2558 fps
SD: 4.1
•0.545”
•0.623”
•0.319”

130 Bergers
Avg: 2659 fps
SD: 19.5