• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Outrageous resonance from Dillon XL750

Srikaleak

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 11, 2018
When actuating the press I get a loud and annoying resonance from my press. I have pin pointed it to the screw that holds the case insert cam slide block. How the heck do I quiet the vibration?

1602540757460.png

The sound occurs in the middle 1/3rd of the stroke as I lower the ram. I know the sound is coming from there, specifically the screw, because if I place my finger on the screw to dampen the vibration the noise does not happen. Does anyone else have this issue?

If I had an extra finger I'd cut it off and tape it to the screw. Maybe my pinky toe will suffice? :)
Seriously though, any common ways to dampen vibrations? I tried electrical tape and it did not work. I'm probably going to shove a bunch of grease in that cavity next.

That seems very, very odd, but OK.....

Couple of suggestions;

1. Try replacing the existing screw with another/different head type, eg; Phillips, round head hex. Get some weight out of the head of the screw.
1602542418350.png

2. Remove the existing screw and grind one thread worth of shank off of it, replace and retry. Disrupt/alter the natural resonant frequency.
3. If you don't adjust the screw, degrease area and cover it with silicone cement.

Reactions: Srikaleak
Man I have never had a noise from there but I'm wondering if it's because I run an aftermarket aluminum block so I can turn case feeding off and on easy

Did you try putting some grease (not oil) on the threads...then re-installing the screw? But also, just because it stops when you put your finger on it, does not mean its actually coming from there.

Good luck, tracking down gremlins can be frustrating.

ZY

PS...Just saw this is what you are going to try to do next. Don't fill the cavity...just grease the treads.

Last edited:
But also, just because it stops when you put your finger on it, does not mean its actually coming from there.

Good luck, tracking down gremlins can be frustrating.

ZY

Yup, you nailed it. I went ahead and disassembled it further and greased up the bar that the case insert slide cam slides on.
1602546665532.png

That resonance is pretty much gone. After 30 pulls of the lever I can hear the noise come back so I'll need to find a more resilient grease. I'm glad I found a solution. Hearing that sound 1000s of times while reloading 9mm was driving me nucking futs.

I appreciate the help folks.

WRT: grease, I use graphite for the primer slide, and it seems to run well. May be another option.

Reactions: ZY100