• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Over 4,000 round GAP groups!!

macman2564

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2009
Enterprise, AL
The title was kind of misleading!

I have over 4,000 rounds, probably closer to 5,000, down my GAP 308 and today I decided to shoot some groups since I haven't in a long time. Well I figured they wouldn't be all that spectacular only shooting factory 175 grain FGMM, but let me tell you, I was wrong!!

I only had 9 rounds left when I was finishing up at the range. So I naturally started out at 100 yards and shot a 3 shot group, dialed slightly off my zero to save the small target. Yeah, yeah three shots, whatever!! I was thoroughly impressed.

After that I moved it out to 220 yards and shot once to get on and made an adjustment and shot the last 5 into that group. Needless to say I was very impressed!! All shot from the prone with the Atlas and a rear bag.

Target pic:

DSCN0165.jpg

Pics of the rifle:

DSCN0159.jpg

DSCN0149.jpg

Thanks GA Precision!! I hope it still shoots this good after another 4,000 rounds.

Re: Over 4,000 round GAP groups!!

very very nice, good to see its still got some life in it
laugh.gif

What are the specs on that barrel? Nice rifle!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ISBe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are the specs on that barrel? Nice rifle! </div></div>
how about specs on the whole thing?!

Nice. I'll be knocking at the 4k mark before you know it, I'm hoping to make it to 10k before a rebarrel.

OK... So you're saying The Orange target has 3 shots in that one tiny hole? And the other target has 1 sighting hole off to the side and 5 more in the other group at 220yds? And these groups from a rifle that has had 4000 rounds thru it? With factory ammo???

I've seen my share of impressive groups... But that is the best shooting I have EVER seen!!! I'm almost tempted to throw up the "BS Flag". But ya know what? I'm just gonna say : Damn Nice Shootin! We should ALL aspire to be that good!!!

The orange target does have more than one bullets throught that tiny hole. Damn, I am impressed. May be I should think twice about selling my GAP 300 WM

Very cool Macman, question; what belt rig are you using and what pouches are you using for the five-seven mags?

No BS here. And you have the facts correct. Except the 220 yd target is turned. The sighter was low, not to the right. I only shoot factory ammunition since I don't reload.

The specs are:

Rem 700 with side bolt release
Timney Trigger set at 2#'s
Badger M5
McMillan A5 with Eagle stock pack
Bartlein 18" 11.25 5R with Badger FTE brake
Premier 3-15 Gen II mildot in Seekins lows
Atlas bipod
TIS quick cuff sling

Thanks for the comments guys!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very cool Macman, question; what belt rig are you using and what pouches are you using for the five-seven mags? </div></div>
That is an Eagle molle belt.

The pouches are both ATS. I just stretched out some M9 pouches and took the velcro covers off. They offer perfect retention but are a little tight when putting them in.

Got a link to the ATS m9 pouch by any chance?
Thanks
-Felipe

That's pretty good for that many rounds...makes a guy what to have something besides a barrel burner.

Thats very good shooting for factory ammo and damn good for factory ammo at 220yds.
I have to ask this and I'm sure it's going to ruffle some feathers and piss some people off, but are you saying that it (rifle) still shoots this good after 4000 rounds just because it's a GAP rifle? Those same components assembeled by another smith wouldn't shoot that good after 4000 rounds??

Love the rifle! Good shooting. I agree though...GAP isn't the only reason. You gotta be a good shot yourself with those groups!

Not what I am saying at all, trevor.

I am sure there are lots of good shooting rifles out there with higher round counts. I was just suprised that it shot this well still. It just happens to be a GAP built rifle. Although, a lot of credit should still go to them for building it.

Hey, easy on the recoil there! You don't want to be hurting your wrist with that side arm you're packing ...
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KPK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love the rifle! Good shooting. I agree though...GAP isn't the only reason. You gotta be a good shot yourself with those groups! </div></div>

+1 great shooting.

If it shoots good from the beginning then good builder and good components. It if keeps shooting 5k later then mostly GREAT barrel! I say ....a big +1 to Bartlein for making a fine barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cegorach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice.

How long is that barrel? </div></div>

Read his description..... 18"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cegorach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice.

How long is that barrel? </div></div>

Read his description..... 18" </div></div>
Yep, gotta love the short and fat ones!!

Ive got a GAP built rifle with at least 7K rounds. Still shoots lights out.

Congrats. I just bought a GAP Hospitaller in .308. Good to know that it will shoot this good for a long time to come.

Gotta love .308 barrel life!

you guys are not helping me! I'm running out of excuses not to get my rifle in the mail to GAP.

Just do it Daps!, you definitely won't regret it.

I bought this one as a SPS Varmint and put over 3k through the factory barreled action in this stock and then sent it to GAP. Best money I have ever spent.

The action is smoother than ANY custom action I have ever shot with over 8k cycled through it. That is the main reason I have never built another 308 on a custom action. I was eyeballing the Badger M2008 until I tried them side by side. There was no comparing the two. While I am sure the Badger is built "better", there was no way that you could have manipulated the bolt faster or more comfortably.

Maybe I am just very comfortable with this rifle but others that have shot it can attest to it, as well.

Wow lots of rounds. I know I will never see that out of my .243 haha.

And good to know there is another KY'in thats really close by.

That's a good looking rifle. And to say again, good shootin'.

What is the diameter of the barrel at the muzzle?

I have a brand new Rem 700 action that I'm likely to get into the mail to GAP next week. Your post pushed me over the edge!

Also, how long have you had the Premier?

Craig in SE MO

Thanks.

It is 1.135 inches right before the brake. The barrel and brake almost run flush. The size of the barrel also keeps the rifle perfectly balanced. I can literally pick the rifle up with one finger in front of the mag well!!

You should definitely send it out. It will be well worth it if you are capable of shooting to the accuracy of the rifle as it sits now.

I have only had the Premier for a couple of months but I love it. I traded one of my USO's for it and don't regret it at all. It fits alot better on this rifle than the USO it had.

Yes we should, sounds good. Go find some steel or something to plink. I wanna look through a premier too if you dont mind. Is the gap 308 the only rifle you own or do you have some others?

Cool, man. I have this rifle, my 22, and my 338LM that should be back from GAP pretty soon. This is really the only rifle that I shoot anymore.

Sounds good. I just sold my 338LM and will build me a .338 edge here pretty soon. I have .243 and working on a 7saum as well.

Nice, just PM me any time you want to shoot. I shoot at Range 16 on post pretty much every weekend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SS-8541-dono</div><div class="ubbcode-body">very impressive</div></div>

What is even more impressive is your penchant for resurrecting dead threads with empty comments.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SS-8541-dono</div><div class="ubbcode-body">very impressive</div></div>

What is even more impressive is your penchant for resurrecting dead threads with empty comments.</div></div>

Could this be a zombie thread???