• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Over chamfered my $%#!@ 338LM cases any solutions

madd0c

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2010
South Carolina
I wouldn't be so pissed if they weren't ~$1.50 each.

I got a new LE Wilson VLD head for the case trimmer, and it works beautifully. Too beautifully. I did about 10 cases with gorgeous 30 degree chamfers, then I did a case and when tapping it out of the holder, the case mouth deformed. I pressed on it with my thumb and the EDGE FLAKED OFF! I lost about 8/1000's off that edge of the case. I went back and pressed on the case mouths of the other 10 cases with my thumb and they all had easily deformable rims.

I cannot trim down the mouths to below the chamfer because they would be WAY under minimum length.

My thoughts are to save these rounds with micro thin mouths to use for fouling shots and hopefully at some point they will lengthen enough to allow me to trim off the thin portion.

Any other ideas? I don't want to throw out $15 bucks worth of cases after one reload.

Thanks,
madd0c

Re: Over chamfered my $%#!@ 338LM cases any solutions

Just barley hit the leading edge with the trimmer to create a flat and go shooting. It wont hurt a thing. Dont worry, they'll grow and need trimming again.

Soft/easy hands are your friend with that trimmer.

"I cannot trim down the mouths to below the chamfer because they would be WAY under minimum length."

If you mean book minimums, don't worry about it, that's NOT a hard rule. The "trim to" length is only an easy to live with 10 thou under SAAMI max, it has nothing to do with safety and precious little to do with the accuracy potentional.

Thanks William and Fuzz. That's what I thought, but I like to have some backup on my idea of "just go shoot em"
smile.gif

madd0c