• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Over head vs behind head ear pro

Rerun7

Furious George
Minuteman
  • Feb 18, 2017
    Fayetteville, Arkansas
    Edit to add: need some opinion on over the head vs behind the head band.

I need to get some over the ear protection and was leaning towards the MSA Supreme Pro but ran across the Swatcom Active 8.

Anyone got experience between these two? The swatcoms look like they are made by Sordin but I couldn’t find much on the differences between the two.

Last edited:
    I need to get some over the ear protection and was leaning towards the MSA Supreme Pro but ran across the Swatcom Active 8.

Anyone got experience between these two? The swatcoms look like they are made by Sordin but I couldn’t find much on the differences between the two.
    Made by Sordin. Have 2 speakers per ear vs 1 in MSA and Sordins, which is what the proprietary processor uses. A few more volume clicks, tethered battery cap and rubber plug for comms jack (which I’m not sure you need because Sordin or MSA Supreme X’s have the same waterproof rating I believe.

Decided I’m going to go with the swatcoms.

Any advice on headband vs neckband? I usually wear a ball cap when shooting but I’ll also have a helmet for night shoots.

Last edited:
    Decided I’m going to go with the swatcoms.

Any advice on headband vs neckband? I usually wear a ball cap when shooting but I’ll also have a helmet for night shoots.
    I love my Sordins, but I have found the over the top of the head headband to be on the short side. I don’t really have a large head either. I may buy another pair of them with the back of head band to try.

If you don’t need the extra freedom of movement you should always double up with plugs snd muffs

plugs stop the sound waves from getting to the drum but the muffs dampen the vibrations through the bones/skull which still get there.

you can “shake the shit” out of your ear and cause hearing damage.

didnt believe it until I was watching a discovery channel show with my kids about senses etc a few years ago.

Yep. I’ve just been using in ear for years which I thought was fine. In my last comp the in ear plug lost its seal while I was on the clock and I didn’t stop to fix it. Ringing hasn’t stopped for two weeks so I’m guessing it’s permanent.

Doubling up from now on for everything hence wanting a nice set of over ear.

I have peltor comtac 3s, and msa sordin supreme pro-xs. My sordins have the behind the head option. Sound quality wise, the peltors blow the sordins OUT OF THE WATER. In terms of comfort, i do prefer the behind the head option.

Outside I use my molded earplugs. We have a vendor show up at some of our gun shows who will do them e,right there. Quick and easy.

Indoors, I actually use the ear plugs and an older pair of electronic over the ear muffs.

i need to look into those, because keeping my head warm in the winter has proven to be a challenge for me.

You can get the molded in ear plugs on Amazon for about $10. Easy enough to do. Not a bad option at all, especially for the money. I got tired of not being able to hear anyone so I moved into the Ottos. The Ottos are great. I also have Howard Leights over the ear but prefer in ear.

This is what I used from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008GTRQLI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think I found the Ottos for around $300

I got some Sordin's, but I don't use them anymore, Peltor EEP-100 with Skull Screw Tips provide 30DB in ear protection, and cost less than 200 bucks from Amazon, the only real downside is they are Lime Green.