• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes over kill ?

Fishman7

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2008
FT. Lauderdale Florida USA
have a Nf NXS 5.5-22x56 that i had on my Barrett 82 they buyer opted not to take the optics so ihave in loose

wouldit be over kill to run that on a new Crusader .308 20" BBL

do i sell it and go to a 3.5-15x50 FFP

Re: over kill ?

boxes i got.......

keep the damn scope then.......it will do you well, and it is one i prefer.....go forth and prosper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how often are you really going to use 3x? I know when I am paper punching I rarely go below 10x. I only use 4x in the real world when I need a large FOV. </div></div>
To me the advantage of the 3.5-15x is more in the high range than the low. When your reticle is calibrated @ 22x, it can be a problem. The 15x, while not always ideal, is a lot easier to use in terms of target acquisition, shooting movers, etc.

Fish,

I had a similar question running a S&B 5-25x56. I didn't know it wasn't cool till I joined here. Funny thing is, I seemed to shoot just fine with the overkill scope. The thing is a monster and bulky as hell, but I NEVER EVER complained about not seeing my target.

However, I can only think of maybe twice using max 25 power and maybe 6 times using anything over 18x

Bottom line: Do what you want, and do what works best for you

i traded my 5.5-22 straight across for a 3.5-15 and would do it again. that is unless i had a .50 to run it on.

my next NF will be a 2.5-10 x 32.

well i may keep it for awhile and see if it turns out well i happened to get another rifle the #11 of 50 SH Gap rifles being a longer BBL i may keep it for that and order the 3.5 for the new Crusader coming in
6 more weeks damn i hate waiting

if i do decide to sell it what do you think a fair asking price would be i would consider it still like new i dont belive it even has rings marks as i lapped and trued them prior to dropping the scope in

thanks again