• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

over scoped?

elk addict

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2012
bozeangeles, mt
i feel ridiculous having a $500 dollar vx-II 6-18 on my 10/22. who else is running a scope worth over 2x as much as their 22? and why?
i love the way it shoots with the loopy on, but have a hard time rationalizing the idea of keeping it on there.

Re: over scoped?

If it ain't broke don't fix it. You said it shot good. I have a 6x18 on my CZ and like the way it shoots too. I would rather have the best glass on my rifle that I can afford than have a crappy glass and can't shoot it because I can't see what I'm shooting at. I would keep the Leupold on it if I like the way it shoots..

I've seen a lot of S&B's on "trainers"...not my cup-o-tea, is rather put that $ somewhere else, but whatever tickled your ass.

I wouldn't call $500 "too much"

If it shoots good and you're satisfied, who cares! I know guys with scopes worth twice that on their 10-22 and it works for them.

When I upgraded my 308 with an IOR scope, the Leupold VX-II that was on it went to my 10/22 without a second thought.

I have a NF BR on my 40x. It's for shooting little bitty groups.
Multiple leupolds on others for silhouette, most are 20x and up.
I have Leup 4-12's on my scoped Hunter Pistol guns.
I'm from the buy the best glass for what you are doing club myself.
The only glass in my safe that is not over 12x is red dots and a 1.5x5 VXIII on an AR.

elk addict said:
i feel ridiculous having a $500 dollar vx-II 6-18 on my 10/22. who else is running a scope worth over 2x as much as their 22? and why?

I have a $6000 AN/PVS-12 on a 28" barrel CZ 452 bolt action 22LR (~$400). Does it matter what a scope or rifle cost? That gives the ability to shoot quietly at night. Aguila 60 grain SSS works well to over 200 yards.

you guys are a bad influence.

i guess it's time for some matching krylon for the loopy...

(and it does kinda tickle my ass for some reason)

i don't think it's overscoped at all - unfortunately i run cheaper optics 'cause my checkbook only allows me to, but i get along with what i got.

however, much like smoking a cigar or having a snifter of good cognac, much of the enjoyment comes from a quality product.

my next toy will be running cheaper (but decent) optics on it too until i can squirrel away enough for "the just right" glass. since now i'm shooting the rimfire the most, i might as well save up to enjoy seeing the target the best that i can and have a repeatable optic that will last.

as long as your satisfied with the vx-II and able to afford it, why not?

Send it to me, I'll send you my Simmons ...
smile.gif

I have a scope on a 10-22 that cost more than a 10-22....but then there is the other stuff, the custom 35 minute rail, burris signature rings, kid trigger, green mountian barrel, geeez I guess the scope wasn't so expensive after all!
Want to meet out at the logan range to compare toys?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elk addict</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i feel ridiculous having a $500 dollar vx-II 6-18 on my 10/22.</div></div>

don't feel bad, I've seen some with $3k optics on a 10/22
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elk addict</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i feel ridiculous having a $500 dollar vx-II 6-18 on my 10/22. who else is running a scope worth over 2x as much as their 22? and why?
i love the way it shoots with the loopy on, but have a hard time rationalizing the idea of keeping it on there. </div></div>

The scope on my prone gun is worth about twice what the rifle is. It's a Unertl Programmer 200 32X sitting on top of a 40-XB with a Hart barrel and Kenyon trigger.

junker.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 168BTHPM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elk addict</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i feel ridiculous having a $500 dollar vx-II 6-18 on my 10/22. who else is running a scope worth over 2x as much as their 22? and why?
i love the way it shoots with the loopy on, but have a hard time rationalizing the idea of keeping it on there. </div></div>

The scope on my prone gun is worth about twice what the rifle is. It's a Unertl Programmer 200 32X sitting on top of a 40-XB with a Hart barrel and Kenyon trigger.

junker.jpg
</div></div>

That is seriously wicked looking....

as to the OP's question....I am running a 32 power mueller on my 40x for offhand silhouette

vette, that thing looks scary-fun

168- i don't even want to know how much that set up cost!

i'm not feeling over scoped anymore

i'm getting the urge to turn my old 581s into a trainer now (with a can)

I've got a SS 5-20 on my 10/22. Same scope on my centerfire.

My 10/22 is my favorite gun to shoot and the one I shoot the most often. Love that scope on that gun. Luckily had the opportunity to get the 5-20 for both of my rifles.

Saved for a long time, knew what I wanted and was fortunate enough to make it happen.

I'm getting the overall message that caliber really has nothing to do with glass quality. It makes sense when I think about it- may as well put good glass on the rifle you shoot the most.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elk addict</div><div class="ubbcode-body">over scoped?</div></div>

There's no such thing.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elk addict</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm getting the overall message that caliber really has nothing to do with glass quality. It makes sense when I think about it- may as well put good glass on the rifle you shoot the most. </div></div>

i justified the money i put in my rimfire (not just the scope) by saying "i spend 80% of my shooting time behind this rifle, why lay behind junk 80% of the time and have nice equipment sitting in the safe"

2-7 VariX II on my 10/22
4-14 Nikon on my Savage Mark II
5-25 Falcon on my Sako Quad

No, I don't think you are over scoped at all. I like to be able to see those little .22 and .17 cal bullet holes at 200 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i justified the money i put in my rimfire (not just the scope) by saying "i spend 80% of my shooting time behind this rifle, why lay behind junk 80% of the time and have nice equipment sitting in the safe" </div></div>
Good Point!

Here is why, alot of people use their 22s as trainers. For some, it defeats the purpose of a trainer if the scope is different. So people will get a 40x and make it exactly like their F/TR, F class, tactical etc. rig. Then slap a scope thats just like the one on their main rig. Thats why it's not uncommon to see expensive glass on a 22. I've seen people put over 3k of glass on a 22. Not my cup of tea, but people do it. As far as the over scoped, I don't think there is such a thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i justified the money i put in my rimfire (not just the scope) by saying "i spend 80% of my shooting time behind this rifle, why lay behind junk 80% of the time and have nice equipment sitting in the safe" </div></div>

Amen.

The way I see it if you're going to spend a reasonable amount of time behind a rifle it might as well have good glass. Poor glass or turret quality/repeatability sucks regardless of how much the rifle that's under the scope costs. I spend a lot of time behind my rimfires so 3 of the 8 SWFA 5-20HDs I own sit on top of rimfires-- a 10/22 and a pair of Sako Quads, one in .22LR and one in .17HMR.

I'd buy 2 more 5-20HDs or Bushnell 3-21 HDMRs for my two air rifles in an instant if only either scope had parallax adjustment down to 10Y! Right my two air rifles are wearing Bushnell 3-12 x 44 FFPs because they're one of the few reasonably priced FFP scopes I found with parallax adjustment down to 10Y.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elk addict</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i feel ridiculous having a $500 dollar vx-II 6-18 on my 10/22. who else is running a scope worth over 2x as much as their 22? and why?</div></div>
If the accuracy of your 10/22 warrants it, there's nothing wrong with having a good scope on it. I happen to have an extremely accurate customized 10/22 that cost me more than $1,500.00 to build. At the time I had it built I mounted a PMII 5-25X[56mm] 0.1 MIL Gen 2 XR CCW on it while I waited on a Tac Ops X-Ray 51. Upon receipt of the X-Ray 51 I moved said PMII to the X-Ray 51. However, after I bought a second PMII 5-25X[56mm] 0.1 MIL Gen 2 XR and had it converted to CCW rotation I mounted PMII 5-25X[56mm] 0.1 MIL Gen 2 XR CCW #2 on the 10/22. I now have two scopes in that same configuration and have $3,700.00 into each one.

PMII 5-25X[56mm] 0.1 MIL Gen 2 XR CCW #2 has since been moved to a favorite Kimber Model 82 Classic, and a Vari-X III 4.5-14X[40mm] mounted on the 10/22 just because I love and shoot .22 bolts more. Including [34mm] NEAR Manufacturing rings and a 25 MOA Murphy Precision Two-Piece base I had Cameron Murphy make for me that's more than $4,100.00 mounted on top of a (collectable) $1,200.00 rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elk addict</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i love the way it shoots with the loopy on, but have a hard time rationalizing the idea of keeping it on there. </div></div>
By that logic, you never should have mounted the VX-II 6-18X on the 10/22, but who cares? If the rifle it accurate and you can shoot it well with the VX-II 6-18X then you should keep it on there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elk addict</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm getting the overall message that caliber really has nothing to do with glass quality. It makes sense when I think about it- may as well put good glass on the rifle you shoot the most. </div></div>
Good. Basing scope choice on caliber and/or rifle cost is ridicolous. IMHO, the <span style="font-style: italic">It's only a .22"</span> / <span style="font-style: italic">It's only a rimfire"</span>,<span style="font-style: italic">"I'm not going to spend X times the price of the rifle on a scope"</span> arguments as well as the mentality of rimfires being for kids is antiquated and closed-minded. I don't give a shit what the caliber is or how little or how much a rifle costs. If the rifle is accurate <span style="font-style: italic">(that's the only kind to own)</span> it's deserving of a good scope - especially if you shoot it frequently.

<span style="font-weight: bold">EGW 20 MOA Extended Picatinny Rail on custom MOA 10/22 Receiver w/threaded-in Kidd barrel - no shitty, barrel droop-inducing V-Block!</span>
MOA1022BarreledAction8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">My full-custom MOA 10/22 wearing a PMII 5-25X Gen 2 XR CCW w/Seekins Highs on top of shortened EGW Extended 20 MOA Rail:</span></span>
MOA1022SBOverkill8x6.jpg

MOA1022SBOverkillRS8x6.jpg

MOA1022SBOverkillLS8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Kimber Model 82C Classic with PMII 5-25X[56mm] 0.1 MIL Gen 2 XR CCW + USO ARD in 34mm NEAR Manufacturing LOW Rings:</span></span>
Kimber82BMurphyPrecisionPMII5-25XRS45DCloseup8x6.jpg

Kimber82BMurphyPrecisionPMII5-25XLS45DCloseup8x6.jpg

Kimber82BMurphyPrecisionPMII5-25X18x6.jpg

Kimber82BMurphyPrecisionPMII5-25X38x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">X-Ray 51 with PMII 5-25X[56mm] 0.1 MIL Gen 2 XR CCW + USO ARD in 34mm Mark 4 High Rings on 40 MOA Tac Ops Two-Piece Base:</span></span>
X-Ray51LoggerheadRS45AngleCU8x6.jpg

X-Ray51LoggerheadLS45Angle2NOSN8x6.jpg

Keith

I shoot my .22 more than I shoot my other rifles. I think the rifle I shoot the most merits the most expenditure...

The stock on my .22 cost more than the original rifle did.
The suppressor on my .22 cost more than the rifle did.
The scope on my .22 cost <span style="text-decoration: underline">way</span> more than the rifle did.

Perish the thought!

I have a SS 10X HD on my 455, and I felt that was money well spent.
I am awaiting a Manners T4 currently. I already have a T4a for my centerfire...so I know that was money well spent.

I do like the idea being presented here that good glass is not wasted on a 'lowly' .22, especially if that is the gun you shoot most.

I really don't think in terms of the scope costing more than the rifle. It's all a part of the package. I had a 5.5-22X Nightforce on my 10/22, until I discovered that it wouldn't focus down to 50 yards very well. I replaced it with a Vortex PST 6-24X (I think).

My Win 52C has a Leopold 36X, My Kimber 22 has a Sightron 6-24, My Annie 54-18 and 1712 each have a Leopold 6.5-20. Good glass just make them more fun! Steven

my .22's are more over scoped than my center fire rigs

My 22lr saves me over $400 dollars for every 500 rounds fired. The least I could do is buy it some quality glass to wear.
wink.gif

Let it ride. If whatever scope you chose allows you to shoot it well, well, then the scope is on the right rifle.

What works... works.

As scopes go, I look at the 22's as 'working storage', and their scopes as 'hot spares'. A much better place for the scope than sitting in a drawer somewhere. I do keep spare scopes, but they are inexpensive Tascos, a lot better than nothing if something more important goes down.

Greg

I gotta say- as much as I liked the loopy on there, I like the SS5-20 better (and the loopy that was on it works pretty well on the 270). Now for some 400+ yard 22 groups.
wink.gif

I have a $900 Zeiss on my 452 American TB. It is a quality rifle and I have no problem putting a quality scope on it.

I personally don't like a piss-ton of magnification on my weapons, but I find I'm in a minority. I think 4x is just about perfect on a 5.56 out to 600m, maybe a little more if it is for score. Up to 10x does me fine to 1000m with 6.5, .30. I may go for something with more zoom when I get a .338LM though.

My 10/22 just has the irons; I have an old Millet red dot but I never use it anymore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: P Henry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a $900 Zeiss on my 452 American TB. It is a quality rifle and I have no problem putting a quality scope on it.</div></div>

+1.

My thinking is that I ought to match the glass that is on my primary rifle since it is supposed to be a "trainer". At any rate, I shoot thousands of rounds through my .22 vs. hundreds of rounds every year through my centerfires. If anything, I personally would rather have the better glass on my .22 since I use it ALL the freakin' time. In reality, my .22 RF is really my primary killing/shooting tool. Use it with CB's for pest control around the house, out to 125 (and increasing) for groundhogs nearly every week of the summer, shoot a couple thousand rounds through it every month on the range, and have used it to take out vehicle-wounded deer (with permission of the state police). I am so comfortable with it that I would sooner grab it than any other rifle for making a kill on anything inside 100 yards. I'm working on getting a coyote kill with it now.
smile.gif

Just my $0.02.

-The Kid.