• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing over size recoil lug help.

K_4c

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 13, 2008
    Nebraska
    i picked up a M24 awhile ago with a AI stock on it. I wanted to put the original H.S stock back on. I went to bolt the barreld action to the stock and it was a major no go. If the recoil lug was replaced with a larger one (the original owner had the barrel threaded) what type of mods would I or a gunsmith have to perform in order to make it seat correctly?

I want to buy a new stock (an H.S pst026 with the LOP and cheek adj)here soon for it but I dont want to wait 6 weeks just to find out that it needs to be opened up and cut into.

I know this might be a pretty dumb quetion to ask, but my experince comes from shooting and not building em. Any information that would get me up and running for deer season would be much appreciated.

thanks agian,

Kinnamon

Re: over size recoil lug help.

Kinnamon,

Its not a dumb question, its most likely because there is an oversized recoil lug installed. You can send/take it to a gunsmith and he can open up the area in a clean professional manner, or you can try to do it yourself. DO NOT remove any of the rear area of where the recoil lug sits. If you need to open your stock up, do it on the sides, bottom and in the front area. You can do with chisels or a gunsmiths best friend/worse enemy......the DREMEL TOOL!!!!

Good luck and post some pictures for us to see of before and after!

Thanks for the advice.

Kinnamon

+1... Handgunner has it straight. If in fact the stock in question was bedded for a Rem 700 it shouldn't be too much trouble to remove just a little of the bedding compound and rebed it.