• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes over tightening aimpoint comp in larue mount?

kenndapp

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2011
i do not have access to torque screw driver at this time so just used the small Allen key style wrench that commonly comes with mounts. i tightened down my aimpoint comp ml3 in my larue cantilever mount as directed using holding the key by the small end and then after every thing was tight i gave the screws a little more love holding the key by the long end just to get every thing uniformly tight. nothing crazy, just tight. am i okay? how crazy do you have to go before you are doing damage to your optic? what are the dangers of going too tight? does it sound like i have exceeded those dangers by doing what i have described?

Re: over tightening aimpoint comp in larue mount?

Sounds like you're fine. I've done the same with the exact same sight MANY times, and no problems at all.

cool. just wanted to check. so many measurements and procedures get tossed around here for mounting scopes, it knocked me off my square. i guess for a medium -long range scope you do have to be more precise and anal when mounting. but, with a red dot like an aim point i was pretty sure that as long as it was snug and force was distributed evenly....then i would be good to go. let me guess.....my aim point mounting methods are ill advised when comes to mounting a scope in rings? btw, i will be mounting a scope in rings coming up here soon. is there some safe method i can use when mounting other than buy an expensive digital read-out torque driver?

Okay to mount scope in rings the way I mounts aimpoints? Yes? No?

You can short-cut it with these methods, but it doesn't mean it's the best way. There's a big difference between what I do in my garage with my own gear and what I do at work when I have no other options. Alternatives work, sometimes quite well, but there's a reason for doing it right too.

My advice is get yourself the Borka torque wrench if you're going to be doing this more often. The best kit going and I wish I had one four years ago when I really needed it.

thank you.