• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Overall ok 1st day with SL8-6, But one problem..

Re: Overall ok 1st day with SL8-6, But one problem..

New gun or used. HK customer service is good. You should give them a call and let them fix it first before you mess with it or have anyone else mess with it.

You should check out the training section. It will help you more than anything other than going to the hands on class.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=subscriptions

+1 on the online training.

Were you using a scope?

Ouch!!! Is 2.4" really that bad for my first time out?? How many of you guys have had some sort of training? And yes I'm using a scope a nightforce NXS 12-42x56. It was shot off a bench with a bipod. I know I need training but what can I say I'm being "stingy". I bought it used with low rnd count seller said 300rnds. So I looked at the bolt and noticed that the firing pin doesn't have a spring?? Didn't the SKS have a sort of recall because of the lack of the firing pin spring?

And yes I know the 55gr in light for my twist {1:7} but I thought i would see how far I could get before switching to the good stuff. My thinking was that it wouldn't do me much good as a newb as I cant shoot that good anyway. once I can get consistent groups I will switch to the good stuff and see what I can do. And apparently its not suppose to have a firing pin spring.Thanks

These don't have firing pin springs. They kinda' float. You may have some "soft" primers and need to go towards a more "NATO" round.

I would be much more concerned about the doubling than the accuracy. Have someone else shoot it; and if it still doubles, send it back to HK as soon as possible. If the prior owner made any modifications, be prepared for a substantial charge from HK for any repairs.

I think people get too wrapped up about groups especially when it comes to black rifles. My first question is do you think you have a big enough scope for a 223
grin.gif

With that rifle and many other "battle rifles" that is about what you can expect. The other question is, can you hit minute of person with that rifle out to 400 yards with open sights? If so, that is what the rifle is meant to do.

I would be mostly worried about double fires. You need to talk to H&K and have them fix it. That can be a dangerous situation on a range.

Well good news the double fires was me not the gun. Apparently the reset is really short, with the trigger fully pulled if you release about 1/16" and then squeeze again it fires. And I think I have a big enough scope..... And local ranges only go to 300yds and my rifle dosnt have iron sights. But I get your point. Thanks again.

Of course the double firing was the shooter... being bitch slapped by a .223 is a sign of a very poor trigger control. Its typical... we mostly see it with 308's but it does happen with a 223, especially when someone is trying to shoot groups and they mistakenly think they have to be "little" on the trigger. The recoil bounces the rifle into your finger and most don't even realize they have an issue, they instead immediately look to the rifle.

I would also not be using an 12-42X scope on something like that, but to each their own.

Get some professional instruction and stop shooting groups would be my advice.

Not easy to inadvertantly bump fire the SL-8 / G-36 trigger group. Relatively long reset. Drop the lower reciever off ( do this over a clean workbench )

Pull trigger while letting hammer down under the control of your thumb. The front reciever cracks easily if you let the hammer hit it. Inspect the sear notch ( right in line of the axle ( thats what HK calls pins for some reason )

If this looks ok, you can inspect the the corresponding tip of sear. You will need to remove the hammer to do this

Also ensure that the sear moves up and down freely (rides on the lowest axle ) but there is also sufficient tension. Should be fairly hard to push down ( there is a coil spring at the bottom )

Lastly inspec the "catch " which is on the LHS on the same shaft as safety. The nose ( the ratchet protion ) of this should be able to push DOWN freely but be under spring tension. If this catch sticks, it will fail to catch the hammer and the hammer will follow through. The locking lever ( the much larger piece this small catch rides on ) should move UP under spring tension. On the back, LHS of hammer you will also see corresponding notch.

If the catch or sear is a worn or sticking it can ocassionaly cause a double triple etc. Extreme case gun will empty mag.

FYI : the SL-8 / G-36 trigger group is far more complicated than an AR FCG

Obviously the hammer following the bolt home would seem dangerous ( bolt may not be locked ), but the G36 Armourers manual says that you only run the risk of light primer strike. Go figure

I highly doubt it is a soft primer issue since I have run over 8K rounds through two different SL-8s and never had the inertia of the firing pin set of "non mil spec" primers. I have used everything from CCI, WIN, Fed with no problems. Same could be said for my ARs that have heavier firing pins than the SL-8 ( SL-8 has a feeble thin firing pin

Also, all the SL-8s I have benched are great shooters. Using Gr WWB is not really doing this gun justice. Assuming your scope is not moving, you should try some better ammunitions ( I run 69Gr SMK handloads when I check 5.56 guns for accuracy ) The SL-8 has a hammer forged barrel that is much heavier profile than the G-36