• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

overgassed effect on accuracy ?

Re: overgassed effect on accuracy ?

I'd vote no. It will effect the speed of your followup shots but I can't possibly see how it would effect accuracy.

I would think it would depend on "how much" it is over gassed....

Pure speculation on my part though.

My 16" 6x45 is susposedly over gassed, from what I have read. It is still a .5 MOA or better rifle from a bench 90% of the time.

(Can over gassed hurt accuracy ?)

Over gassed is not as friendly to accuracy or Brass as standard gas or under gassed. Over gassed can be accurate as the parts selected and quality of ammo allow.

When The Bullet is past the gas port it starts Gas preasure (over atmospher preasure) Pre Loading the bolt/carrier mechanics.Untill the atmosphere is to 1-1 or close enough that the bolt/carrier can start extracing the hull from its mechanical gas lock with the chamber walls..something must give if the pressure is to much,normally the rim of the Hull or the extractor gives first,Can even pull the back off the hull leaving the front still in the chaimber ...

Over gassed is rougher on parts and requires More frequint service/Inspections on wear Items.

barrels are timed with gas port length,gas Port size in relation to barrel length and chamber specs/twist and ammo .

Over gassed can have two meenings...

#1 Over gassed on purpose and properly done for harsh conditions the weapon will have a better chance to go BOOM ,cycle wet dirty ammo or dirty weapon,Also if its cold enough ammo will have less pressure to cycle the bolt over gassed was Designed to try and counter these adverse conditions...

#2 Over gassed By bad specs or design,AMMO,Long barrel short gas system,over size gas port,Hot AMMO,summer/desert conditions and you May run into an over gassed system with gas preasure Beyond purpose built over gassed system and malfunction may happen.. By tearing the rim,hull or Brake parts like extractors so On..

A Custom properly built Under gassed is friendlier to accuracy and Brass...The Pulse is slower smoother and close as you can get to a bolt gun in semi automatic.

I hope this helps...?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drifter_1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does an overgassed system on an AR negatively affect accuracy...?

What are your thoughts...? </div></div>

Yes - without question over gassed is not good for accuracy. Puts more stress on things before the bullet exits the bore and magnifies existing accuracy robbing impulses that are taking place before bullet exits bore - not debatable in my opinion.

Robert Whitley
www.6mmAR.com

Bear in mind that the bullet should be traveling @ supersonic velocity at the gas port, and it's got what, 6" max or so to go to the muzzle. Now consider that the pressure wave has to travel ~11-12" to get to the carrier (AR rifle length gas here), and it does so at Mach 1. So, no, it should not have an effect upon accuracy as the horse has already left the barn before gas pressure reaches the bolt carrier group. I'll add the caveat that muzzle velocity is constant here, if a variant gas leak (to operate the action) is present and velocity varies, obviously this will have an effect.

That said, why would you want to over-gas? Beats up parts, more felt recoil, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlterEgo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bear in mind that the bullet should be traveling @ supersonic velocity at the gas port, and it's got what, 6" max or so to go to the muzzle. Now consider that the pressure wave has to travel ~11-12" to get to the carrier (AR rifle length gas here), and it does so at Mach 1. So, no, it should not have an effect upon accuracy as the horse has already left the barn before gas pressure reaches the bolt carrier group. I'll add the caveat that muzzle velocity is constant here, if a variant gas leak (to operate the action) is present and velocity varies, obviously this will have an effect.

That said, why would you want to over-gas? Beats up parts, more felt recoil, etc. </div></div>

I must disagree on part of this. It is not possible for the bullet to be going supersonic if the gas is limited to going Mach 1 (especially since its the gas that is pushing the bullet to supersonic speeds). The high speed movies of AR-15's firing and cycling show the carrier already in motion backwards when the bullet exits the bore.

What can you really expect from an over gassed rifle as far as wear? I realize brass fatigue. What else? Like, broken bolts, extractors, loss or pressure on the buffer system?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MPFD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What can you really expect from an over gassed rifle as far as wear? I realize brass fatigue. What else? Like, broken bolts, extractors, loss or pressure on the buffer system? </div></div>

Extractor,Bolt barrel extension,Cam Pin,Carrier, wear or broken parts...anything that is driven or absorbs the shock from the cycle is under more stress. Its all under stress in a normal system,But Overgassed is Kinda like 175horse NOS shot on a small block...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASM1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But Overgassed is Kinda like 175horse NOS shot on a small block... </div></div>

WOW that was a bad analogy! Cause I Actually run a 200 Shot on my 6.0 LS2...

Now I just wanna do it more!!!
smile.gif

LOL....I was looking at the long term stress you where looking at the Fun factor...How about this ..Its Like runing 44" boggers on a 10 BOLT...with your LS2 and 200 horse NOS....
grin.gif

Keep the parts inspected and replace if they need service,Overgassed is a generic saying ,blanket's alot with one word..
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MPFD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASM1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But Overgassed is Kinda like 175horse NOS shot on a small block... </div></div>

WOW that was a bad analogy! Cause I Actually run a 200 Shot on my 6.0 LS2...

Now I just wanna do it more!!!
smile.gif
</div></div>

"The high speed movies of AR-15's firing and cycling show the carrier already in motion backwards when the bullet exits the bore."

Can you supply a link? I'd actually like to see this.

For what it's worth, I use an adjustable gas block on my .308 AR's...