• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

overload?

o1sick7

Private
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2009
utah
i was loading up some hornady xtp's in 124gr. for the 9mm. the book says between 5.3 on the low end and 5.9 on the hot end. so i went 5.7gr of hs6. and the bullet was packing the powder to get to 1.060 col. there was no bulge. so i was just wondering if this was bad. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Re: overload?

Are your hands/face not worth the extra time to start from the lowest charge weight listed ?

Do yourself a favor and load up some rounds at the lowest listed and in .1 or .2 increments up to the charge weight you have already.

More than likely they will be ok to fire, but the old sayings like" An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of flesh" ( ok I made that up)

Good luck

i have heard of people using 6.1 but I went middle. And I was mainly worried about there being too much powder and the bullet packing it down. Is that bad?

Not necessarily. Most loads in the 9mm are compressed or 100% full. My Hornady manual calls for a 6.2gr starting load under the 124gr loaded to 1.050" OAL, max at 6.9grs.

Pheww. I was kinda stressing it. I tripple checked my scale. Calibrated it twice. To make sure it was not off. What kind of powder are you using? I am using hs6 and I came up with 1.060 col.

I like WSF and 147gr XTP's at 1.100" OAL.

Being that most 9mm's have barrels with 1-10" twist, heavier bullets tend to be more accurate. 9mm Bullseye guns run 1-32" twist barrels with 115gr bullets nowadays. They deliver 1" groups at 50 yards. I'm happy with 1" at 50 feet.

Hodgdon says 6.6 gr HS6 125 gr.

I have put 53% extra HS6 in 9mm and got a pierced primer.
I put in 64% extra HS6 in 9mm with magnum primer and got a pierced primer AND a bulged +P+ case.

Because 9mms have such good case support and the cases are so small, there are very few powders that can reach the limit of the brass. HS6, 3N37, and AA#5 are among the few that can.

What does it all mean?
HS6 has a high density-speed product, and must be worked up in 9mm.

i was having a hard time fitting 5.7gn in there with the xtp's at 1.060 oal i was pushing the powder down. i think at 6.6 i would not be able to seat the damn thing ha ha. i used the medium from 2 manuals and came up with the 5.7 im going to try them monday il let you all know how it goes.