• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Oversize barrel channel?

Bryan27

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2007
Tennessee
Are there any issues with having more material removed from the barrel channel than would be necessary for normal free floating of the barrel? Reason I ask is I'd like to go on and order a stock for my rifle, which is a bone stock winchester model 70, but future plans are to have the action worked and a thicker contour barrel screwed on. I don't want to waste the barrel life that is left in it now since it shoots better than I do anyways, but down the road I would like to make some improvements. Is there any reason NOT to allow for extra room now for a barrel that may be a few years away from being installed?

Re: Oversize barrel channel?

Thanks for the replies, I didn't think there'd be any problems with the extra room around the barrel but didn't want to miss something. Now, just to find what bottom metal options are out there for the model 70.

Re: Oversize barrel channel?

No drawbacks, but it may pay to verify from time to time that the barrel is the only thing in the channel. Big clearances are prone to swallowing foreign objects, and they can wedge in the channel, screwing up the float.

Actually, I think a bigger clearance is a plus, improving convective airflow, and maybe thereby improving cooling.

Greg