• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Oversize Recoil Lug

syme71

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2005
New Jersey, Exit 10 on Turnpike
What advantage does an oversize recoil lug provide over a standard sized recoil lug? I'm about to have my 700P trued up and new Krieger installed and was wondering if it's worth upgrading to the Badger Ordnance recoil lug.

Thanks,

Al

Re: Oversize Recoil Lug

The factory lug when surface ground on both sides will work fine. That being said, I use after market (Tubb) on my personal rifles and complete builds. The Tubb has to be ground as well. I also have to open them up from 1.058" to 1.072" on complete builds.

Factory lugs need a little bit of special treatment to glassbed. Most aftermerket lugs are already tapered for an easy bedding procedure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC7980</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just a note... I don't think that going over .250 thickness on a lug will provide any extra benefit </div></div>

I agree. I use Holland or Seekins lugs. Factory lugs are fine for .308 or less with light barrel. I have seen more then one factory lug on magnums bend. They can be a pain to bed and look like crap on heavy barrels. But going to large is can also look like crap. A good .250 tapered lug is a good all around lug to use.