• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Oversized firing pin hole?

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
I think my firing pin hole on one of my rem 700 is a bit big. It looks like the primers are crattering a bit. I know a lot of guys have the hole bushed, but does it really matter that much? Rifle seems to be shooting just fine, but if it will help accuracy i will get it fixed. What do you think? Lee

Re: Oversized firing pin hole?

Unless the primer flow is enough to bind the bolt, I wouldn't worry about it.

An oversized pin tip,fit to the face will offer options over a bushed face with reduced tip diameter.
The larger/std f/pin tips will not break in your life time.

When the primers start to blank out and a hole in them starts to happen it's time to bush the face. By that time you will most likely need a new pin also, cause it will be eroded from the flash.

Got a buddy that needs to have an oversized pin fit to a bolt (or have the bolt bushed). The local factory Remington service center was clueless. Any idea where to get this done ? Kansas City area would be good...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mjb2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got a buddy that needs to have an oversized pin fit to a bolt (or have the bolt bushed). The local factory Remington service center was clueless. Any idea where to get this done ? Kansas City area would be good...</div></div>

Send it to Dans40X if he'll do it or I've had a pin bushed by GreTan rifles and was very happy with the price, service and turnaround time.

J

You can have it bushed but another alternative is the Holland oversize firing pin @ Hollandguns.com. Although not as good as having it bushed it is next in line.

JamieD

The downside to this hole being too big would be having the primer move into the pin hole? A friend had that problem on a TC in 221 Fireball and was blaming it on the thought that the pin dropped then retracted so that pressure could push the primer back into the pin hole......is his most likely the FP hole is too big? Does anyone know if Dans40x does TC's?

I know someone who just bought a new Rem700 with a firing pin hole so big that the factory ammo is piercing.

He is trying to get Remington to fix it.