• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Overwhelmed By The "Reloading" Community...

RLinNH

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2019
I have only been reloading now for about 2 weeks. In that time, I have had a total stranger invite me into his AO to get me hands on experience with reloading. I have had this individual go out of his way, come to my house to inspect my setup just to make sure that everything was coo with it. I have had NUMEROUS members reach out to me via PM, 1 of them local offering to help me out, through this site. Just today, I was at the range for over 3 hours. Wouldn't ya know it? The gentleman who was occupying the 100yd range is a reloader also. Him and I went back and forth and the knowledge that I got in those 3 hours about my new hobby was Huge!!! After our range time at our club, he has me follow him to his "little" gun shop. I walked out of the gun shop with powders I have been reading about, but not able to find ANYWHERE!!! 20 lbs of various powders...

I have to say. Every single person I have met because of Reloading has bent over backwards to insure that I am doing things properly. They have divulged information and spread their knowledge on any questions I have. No secrets. "Here, try this". or..."Well, are you doing this to your cases"? And this is all after a shaky start what with a bad resizing/depriming die that I had in my press. Today, I shot my first 56 rounds of my own reloads. I am not calling them Hand Loads, because that's not what they are. Only 1 of them did not go bang. I have a feeling there is no powder in it.

Huge thank you to all the humble people that keep this hobby real. I have a newbie passion for this hobby, and it's only getting worse... (y) ?

Only 1 of them did not go bang. I have a feeling there is no powder in it.

That's potentially dangerous. If you manage to get a bullet an inch down the bore, neglect investigating the Failure to Fire, and follow up with another, properly loaded round, you'll effectively have a bore obstruction and a may suffer a catastrophic overpressure disassembly or injury. While you're learning you should be the most meticulous, methodical and detail-oriented person to prevent things going badly.

Do an image search for firearm "Kabooms" and hopefully the visual of other people's blood, and bone will instill a sense of how a little inattention may result in permanent effects.

Good luck, have fun and be safe out there. (y)

I have done it before on rifle a round. I have never had a primer powerful enough to move the bullet. My dad did it with his 627 once, locked up the cylinder by pushing the bullet half way out.

Reactions: Sierra770
That's potentially dangerous. If you manage to get a bullet an inch down the bore, neglect investigating the Failure to Fire, and follow up with another, properly loaded round, you'll effectively have a bore obstruction and a may suffer a catastrophic overpressure disassembly or injury. While you're learning you should be the most meticulous, methodical and detail-oriented person to prevent things going badly.

Do an image search for firearm "Kabooms" and hopefully the visual of other people's blood, and bone will instill a sense of how a little inattention may result in permanent effects.

Good luck, have fun and be safe out there. (y)

I broke the weapon in half and inspected the barrel prior to moving on. I understand obstructions in the barrel and have seen first hand what it can do to a person on the firing line.

I have only been reloading now for about 2 weeks. In that time, I have had a total stranger invite me into his AO to get me hands on experience with reloading. I have had this individual go out of his way, come to my house to inspect my setup just to make sure that everything was coo with it. I have had NUMEROUS members reach out to me via PM, 1 of them local offering to help me out, through this site. Just today, I was at the range for over 3 hours. Wouldn't ya know it? The gentleman who was occupying the 100yd range is a reloader also. Him and I went back and forth and the knowledge that I got in those 3 hours about my new hobby was Huge!!! After our range time at our club, he has me follow him to his "little" gun shop. I walked out of the gun shop with powders I have been reading about, but not able to find ANYWHERE!!! 20 lbs of various powders...

I have to say. Every single person I have met because of Reloading has bent over backwards to insure that I am doing things properly. They have divulged information and spread their knowledge on any questions I have. No secrets. "Here, try this". or..."Well, are you doing this to your cases"? And this is all after a shaky start what with a bad resizing/depriming die that I had in my press. Today, I shot my first 56 rounds of my own reloads. I am not calling them Hand Loads, because that's not what they are. Only 1 of them did not go bang. I have a feeling there is no powder in it.

Huge thank you to all the humble people that keep this hobby real. I have a newbie passion for this hobby, and it's only getting worse... (y) ?
Outstanding, great to hear !
And, as Fred said, be careful, meticulous and thorough. There is absolutely zero room for a squib.

Reactions: RLinNH and DIBBS
I've adopted the habit of using a bright LED flashlight to check all the cases in the loading block before proceeding to seat bullets, = no fail to fire.

Very good strategy. I used to do the same thing, then I bought a desk LED lamp thing off amazon that shines super bright down on my Dillon 550. After I started loading super light .38spl loads, checking for powder becomes a must. For reference, I'm only dropping 3.0gr of Titegroup into a .38spl case.

OP glad to hear you've gotten overwhelmingly good feedback. Hope you're enjoying it as much as I do. It can be challenging but usually far more rewarding. Have gun and be safe